Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

I think to my childhood, I turned 12 two and a half months after starting 1st year at high school, the youngest was late February. That seems reasonable when kids are given a house key, allowed to be home alone for a bit before the parents arrive, can get a limited bank account and as discussed given a Young Scot card with free bus travel.

The official guidelines from the government recommend kids being in the house themselves is actually at 14, at least overnight or for any long length of time... but there is a large caveat on "know your own child and how responsible they are, you're not getting lifted if you go to the shops and leave your 13yr old behind." Most concert venues also say 14+ only.

Agree with high school age personally, and I turned 12 eight months after starting first year. Never went myself at that age though as I had extremely limited geographical knowledge or use of buses, and there being only one other known MFC fan in my year who was ok but not a close friend.

Now as an adult my own is just in 1st year. I bought us both season tickets/renewed and any notice of the change during buying passed me by. Maybe because of the joint purchase, but a lot of what if's arise. What if I was ill but wanted to send her? What if I had work but wanted to send her herself? What if we arrived at two separate times? @crazylegsjoe_mfc is right - it does affect me and it should have been plastered/unavoidable.

13 minutes ago, Dan Electro said:

Regarding age, and, crossing over into music:

Privately, I alerted a former Shanghai Scot of an artist I discovered. Sent him the YouTube clip of her playing the debut single from her second album, aged 21.

"Too young" came the response. I pointed to the fact, that, at the time, Norman Whiteside was the second youngest ever player, to Pele, to play in a World Cup Finals.

"True" was his response.

Inasmongst as a cliché, in my view, if you're good enough, you're good enough. Just, that we should be wary of Tierney's career.

Back to the music, said artist's third album reached number one last but one Friday ago. (For reference, it took Pink Floyd five to achieve this).

Artist headlined BBC Radio Stage at Reading on Sunday, with one review stating ""she's finally the rockstar for her generation". She's 24 today.

At just what age did John McGinn start to be "really good"......?

Kettlewell might take a punt on her if she can play up top mate. 

2 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I think I’d rather have the Blackpool lad over Vale tbh.

We expecting a midfielder?

I saw some chat on Twitter suggesting Kouassi's away to Salford on loan. I still wouldn't be against us bringing in another #9 like as it feels like Robinson is really our only option for that role.

Tbh, Vale makes complete sense though. He knows the club, the league, the manager and the system.

He'll take one of the #10 positions that Miller's been used in recently (that folk have been bitching about) and again, as others have said it presumably allows the likes of Stamatelopolous and Stuparević time to bed in rather than rushing them back.

13 minutes ago, AnderooMFC said:

The official guidelines from the government recommend kids being in the house themselves is actually at 14, at least overnight or for any long length of time... but there is a large caveat on "know your own child and how responsible they are, you're not getting lifted if you go to the shops and leave your 13yr old behind." Most concert venues also say 14+ only.

Agree with high school age personally, and I turned 12 eight months after starting first year. Never went myself at that age though as I had extremely limited geographical knowledge or use of buses, and there being only one other known MFC fan in my year who was ok but not a close friend.

Now as an adult my own is just in 1st year. I bought us both season tickets/renewed and any notice of the change during buying passed me by. Maybe because of the joint purchase, but a lot of what if's arise. What if I was ill but wanted to send her? What if I had work but wanted to send her herself? What if we arrived at two separate times? @crazylegsjoe_mfc is right - it does affect me and it should have been plastered/unavoidable.

Fair points that I've been thinking about as well / potentially could have fallen foul of . I have a shift on some Saturdays where I'll probably finish in time to go back home and get the kids in time for a 3pm KO but always the chance I won't so my standing arrangement on those days is to email my oldest with the junior tickets ( he's 11 , just started high school ) get the Mrs to drive them there and I'll meet them in the stadium straight from work. No ST this year, prefer to buy online as and when required and never at any time even when selecting junior tickets has it been obvious that they wouldn't get in while waiting for me . 

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I saw some chat on Twitter suggesting Kouassi's away to Salford on loan. I still wouldn't be against us bringing in another #9 like as it feels like Robinson is really our only option for that role.

Tbh, Vale makes complete sense though. He knows the club, the league, the manager and the system.

He'll take one of the #10 positions that Miller's been used in recently (that folk have been bitching about) and again, as others have said it presumably allows the likes of Stamatelopolous and Stuparević time to bed in rather than rushing them back.

I don’t disagree btw. He’s like the safe steady option. I just wonder if we could have got someone better? Vale’s maybe relatively cheap too. 

10 minutes ago, Ill Ray said:

Ryan Jack is all but a done deal per a sometimes reliable source. 

I was hoping we’d get someone a bit more creative. And less injury prone. He’s an upgrade on Halliday if fit I suppose.

I'm kind of done with us signing injury prone players - but Ryan Jack *could* be  a gamble worth taking as he would be nowhere near us otherwise - he would be a big upgrade...

9 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

I was 11 in first year and I know because "je m'appelle Stephen, j'ai onze ans" is burned into my brain.

I was 12 and the next line (for me) was "j'habite a Hamilton en Ecosse". La Famille Garnier by any chance? Bof!

Anyway, I'd be quite happy with Vale as he was good at linking up with Bair last season but we'd need to have someone actually capable of putting the ball in the net. Hopefully Stama is that guy when he's eventually fit.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

@thisGRAEME I see McGarry has answered your question in the mailout just there.

It astonishes me with the sheer number of things I say out loud that I then either get the answer to, or people take very seriously.

Folk still send me big cat stories they see, it's absolutely class.

52 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Stupa scored a cracker Vs Clyde did he not and has played less than 90 mins all in? Are we writing him off Steelmenonline style? 

Come on lads and lassies, we are better than that surely. 

I think that's it, he must have ability given the teams he's been at and linked with. So absolutely nae point writing anyone off at this stage. 

He's new to the league and Scotland, I forgot he was playing against Thistle to be honest, only time I've had the chance to watch him, but that's why I think we need to give some folk time to settle. Wee Davor took some time to get going, as did cult hero Alex Gorrin. 

Ryan Jacks' league starts at Rangers. 

23/24: 5

22/23: 16

21/22: 4

20/21: 16

19/20: 19

18/19: 21

17/18: 17

I agree he's a marked upgrade on most of our midfield options. But I don't know what we think will be different about his availability than when he was at Rangers. Especially with our track record of late...

I'd be happy with Ryan Jack tbh, he's a good player that's a lot better than some of what we have and he'd be a good experienced head to have next to Lennon Miller, obviously there's every chance that it goes tits up and he get injured early on but if it's a fairly short contract then that's a risk I don't really mind taking.

I'd have been happy gambling on Jack if didn't already have to extend the treatment room.

If we sign him till January (with a club option till May now we love them), just about fair enough.

If him and Vale are the deadline business, you can certainly see a path to it working while also feeling a bit meh...but tbh if we've already signed 20 folk to this point, expecting an exciting deadline day is probably unnecessary.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

....but tbh if we've already signed 20 folk to this point, expecting an exciting deadline day is probably unnecessary.

If yon Thommo boy reads this you'll have broke his heart. Currently filling his flask and piece box before heading up to FP for his  customary 24hr deadline day stakeout and grainy pics of potential signings/cleaning staff/delivery drivers/random passers by.

33 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm kind of done with us signing injury prone players - but Ryan Jack *could* be  a gamble worth taking as he would be nowhere near us otherwise - he would be a big upgrade...

This is where I am, probably not the kind of midfielder I’d like either (given the balance of the squad) but absolutely no question, if fit, he is HUGE upgrade on what we have in the building. Lennon Miller aside. 

23 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

It astonishes me with the sheer number of things I say out loud that I then either get the answer to, or people take very seriously.

Folk still send me big cat stories they see, it's absolutely class.

I'm literally just in from walking the dog and listening to the episode there so I have a pertinent Tannadice meltdown for you. 5935066-1.jpg.iifxlZHnMWATcMpp6utI6qkK6usqiKpIqilIammrRgamywXO7Qwg.Z75INWlqaO.thumb.jpg.2fbe89cf2ceab810b254f4f93d52266e.jpg