Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Snide reply but I agree with the sentiment.

They should be able to buy a ticket on the day from Aberdeen's ticket office or Aberdeen's online ticket platform.

You are right they should. I don't think that was Bob's sentiment though. He was just being a dick cos he's a dick. 

I actually don't see why you couldn't buy a ticket online that morning. I've done it a couple of times on the day this season for away games. 

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

The man is a complete f**kin Helmet

Seems to have gone on a mass blocking spree and put himself on private after last nights replies. I've never interacted with him on twitter nor have I ever mentioned him but I've been a victim of his blocking as well. 

27 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

You are right they should. I don't think that was Bob's sentiment though. He was just being a dick cos he's a dick. 

I actually don't see why you couldn't buy a ticket online that morning. I've done it a couple of times on the day this season for away games. 

Sentiment was the wrong word. But i agree it would be stupid for the club to open the ticket office early doors for a few people who weren't organised and should have other ways of buying tickets.

There is no denying the clubs social media in regard to filming content and creating ideas is absolutely superb however there should be a head of comms who advises club staff playing and non-playing on their social media use with what is right and wrong etc who can also communicate with fans perhaps in a similar way that ‘Flow did. There was also explanations for questions that were asked and never any condescending tone to it.

This would also tie in with reading the room so to speak in regard to captions on posts and proof reading posts before they go live. How many times in the past few seasons did we see a number of nonsense captions that would further irate everyone after a dreadful performance. “We have to do better”, “We must make it right on Saturday” etc. Or the biggest one, somehow celebrating the number of draws we had?! 

All this along with the non communication we have seen in contract extensions in recent seasons makes me feel there is certainly a  position there that is missing and the club should be looking at.

Perhaps even having another SLO who is active for the social media side of stuff when fans have questions similar to what we seen yesterday regarding Aberdeen tickets. 

Regarding tickets, I don’t see why they can’t sell them in the club shop on weekends. It would save them from having to pay an extra wage to someone in the ticket office. The club shop closes at 1. Unless there is some weird complex cos the money goes to Provan sports

By pure chance, I was working in Aberdeen yesterday and managed to get to the game. However, most weeks I can’t make games until the last minute, purely due to depending what time i finish work. 

I mean, he’s posting from his personal account (now locked and I’ve had him muted for as long anyway) so it’s a choice to engage like that and if I’m being generous I’d imagine that he probably feels he’s defending the club (badly).

The main problem for me is that on one hand you have the Society making genuine efforts to engage the fan base (see their recent Tweets and some of the stuff Sean has been posting) then on the other you have a Club employee basically implying that it’s an inconvenience to sell tickets to fans.

His point wasn’t that it should be Aberdeen’s responsibility or that MFC's hands are tied by Aberdeen policy it was that it’s not worth the Club’s time and effort to accommodate a handful of fans. If you decided last minute to make a day of it and head up…tough.

Like I say, I’d guess that he probably took the view that he was defending the Club but tbh, he’s just telling on himself.

As I said earlier it has a snide old man energy which is completely at odds with what the Society seem to be trying to do.

Edited by capt_oats

Park's attitude there is symptomatic of the way that too many in scottish football see actual supporters - as a pain and an inconvenience. Imagine the shock that someone would decide on a Friday night that they wanted to go to a game on a Saturday afternoon! f**k me.

1 hour ago, McFadden said:

Perhaps even having another SLO who is active for the social media side of stuff when fans have questions similar to what we seen yesterday regarding Aberdeen tickets. 

On this, after the St Johnstone game a few weeks ago there was a (very quickly deleted) post put out by the SLO account on twitter which started with "Bob, is this okay?" followed by the rest of the post which had quite clearly been copy and pasted from a WhatsApp/DM. I did find it very funny/odd that the Safety and Facilities Manager  was vetting social media posts of the Supporter Liaison officer.

All of this is a thing that was born out of removing cash as an option. You walk up, no double queuing, pay your money and go in. Covid was a convenient excuse and while I'm all for progress it needs to be universal and as easy as the previous option. There used to be no issue if you had a change of mind until 3:45. Remove it or make it such a hassle, you may as well have removed it.

I don't carry cash any more and happy about that, I tap my phone everywhere but is a WiFi extender and one gate open till half time in the Cooper that much hassle?

For Motherwell fans, in my youth there was a cordon round the ground from 1pm-ish for the OF and they were all ticket. Every other team, home and away support experienced no issue, I know because I worked on the turnstyles for five years. The only stadium in Scotland we struggle to get in any more is Tynecastle so I understand their allocation being sent to the Chapman to administer rather than allowing local sales but the same in person thing applies. Remember what we're talking about here is the issuing of a paper ticket which needed a special visit to Fir Park or a commitment to go to Pittodrie on the 25th of August when we were last at the stadium .... in 2024.

You'd hope the SPFL with all its announcements of inclusivity would mandate a basic level of online ticket purchase for away fans in the same way they mandated VAR. Imagine if the Aberdeen CEO had a track record of implementing it in his last job.

It would be nice if the same arse kissing and emotive video energy for £400 in late May was extended to paying £25 in September. Maybe where the money ends up is catalyst here for the shoulder shrug vibe.

I understand for the club taking a 3% hit on card transactions beats cash, floats and banking it but how much of the SPFL have turned ancy over this is wild.

Edited by Vietnam91

5 hours ago, Swello said:

Park's attitude there is symptomatic of the way that too many in scottish football see actual supporters - as a pain and an inconvenience. Imagine the shock that someone would decide on a Friday night that they wanted to go to a game on a Saturday afternoon! f**k me.

110% this, Scottish football had long been bizarre in its determination to inconvenience and annoy the very folk which make its continued existence as a business possible.

8 hours ago, Scouse_Wellfan said:

By pure chance, I was working in Aberdeen yesterday and managed to get to the game. However, most weeks I can’t make games until the last minute, purely due to depending what time i finish work. 

I’m in the same boat, I’ve been working away a lot and whether can get to an away game (especially at further away grounds) is dependent on when I get home, what I need to get done at home that weekend and when I’ll be away again. I’ve also made snap decisions in the past based on pals going, the weather, whether the trains are running, the likelihood of a win etc etc.  It’s laughable that the only reason you wouldn’t have a ticket is because you forgot. 

As others have said, there’s a way you should engage with people, regardless of your own personal views, and that’s not it. 

Bob Park's comment is ridiculous on several levels.

1. Circumstances and plans change, folk should be able to decide at the last minute to go. We all like our fitba but life isn't completely arranged around it. 

2. Budgeting, people might not have thought about going to or budgeted this game when fixtures were announced in July but, as above, the situation may now be that they can go. 

3. You don't even need staff in now. Just an active link for a website selling tickets. You could even advertise this as "online tickets only on day of the game" if you have to. 

4. The person asking the question/making the comment hasn't even tagged the club, let alone Bob Park, he has gone out of his way to just be condescending to someone. 

I don't know Bob Park, I don't know the details of the continued feud with Block E/Well Bois, but he certainly presents himself as unhelpful at best here. In that engagement shared earlier, someone is asking a fair question about ticket sales on the day of a game and it's this condescending, 'we know better than you' tone, that we have seen repeatedly from certain members of the club hierarchy (some who have since left) in recent times, towards their paying customers. Bizarre. 

The whole "views reflected here are my own and not that of my employer" may be used here, but those employed by the club, particularly in senior roles, are ambassadors for the club and should act in that way, if you can't do that then don't engage. If a player was speaking to fans in that way, you'd fully expect Kettlewell to have a word. 

Edited by MurrayWell

I can understand why a home club wouldn't sell tickets to away fans on the day (how do you prove...?) but MFC should be better organised.

Could a member of staff not log in from their kitchen table and issue digital tickets up until kick-off?

Apologies to @MurrayWell who just beat me to that last bit. Great minds, and all that.

Edited by Cedrics Mighty Well Army

14 minutes ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

I can understand why a home club wouldn't sell tickets to away fans on the day (how do you prove...?) but MFC should be better organised.

Could a member of staff not log in from their kitchen table and issue digital tickets up until kick-off?

Apologies to @MurrayWell who just beat me to that last bit. Great minds, and all that.

Thing is you don't even need staff, at all, in their kitchen or elsewhere, MFC's is done through ticketmaster, not someone issuing digital tickets. Not sure who does AFC's, but would imagine it's a similar system. As for folk buying tickets and sitting in the wrong end, mentioned earlier, that's why there is clear labelling of tickets, police and stewards there on the day. There is a degree of having to trust folk won't do that, a radical concept for those running Scottish football, I know. 

Just to be clear, buying tickets on the day of the game has never been an issue for me at Fir Park, always works okay. The issue here isn't MFC's ability to sell tickets, it's the tone of a senior employee towards someone asking a question. If it's nothing to do with MFC and you want to engage with a supporter asking a question, then go about it in a professional way. 

Edited by MurrayWell

42 minutes ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

I don't think Aberdeen allow it. I'm 90% certain they didn't let Saints fans buy tickets on the day of the game, and the only way to get in was to have a physical ticket collected from McDiarmid.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think Aberdeen allow it. I'm 90% certain they didn't let Saints fans buy tickets on the day of the game, and the only way to get in was to have a physical ticket collected from McDiarmid.

That's absolutely fair enough, and if that had been Park's response I don't think too many would have an issue with it. It's the whole "Ticket on the morning of the game aye? No bother, we'll just drag folk into their work and fork out a mornings wages just because you're a disorganised p***k" energy that he gives off.

37 minutes ago, Al B said:

That's absolutely fair enough, and if that had been Park's response I don't think too many would have an issue with it. It's the whole "Ticket on the morning of the game aye? No bother, we'll just drag folk into their work and fork out a mornings wages just because you're a disorganised p***k" energy that he gives off.

Aye, if it's something not even within MFC's power to change it makes the whole exchange from Park even more bizarre. 

If you feel you need to respond, what's wrong with something like 'Staffing the ticket office for such a limited sale is unfortunately just not possible. We had hoped online tickets would be available until kick off, much like we do at Fir Park, but due to factors outwith the club's control this cannot be facilitated, which of course is frustrating for anyone still looking to purchase a ticket'?

Really don't get the argumentative tone towards fans, just not a good look for the club when senior figures act that way. 

You can tell that Bob Park was an ex-copper who took delight in having the power to detain and apprehend people. He tries to work as a Policeman even though he has a new job.

The deletion of his tweet, account locking and blocking spree sums up a big part of what is wrong with social media for me. It's too easy to delete things written on the internet when they don't get reaction the poster thought that they would merit. If you are willing to commit your opinion on a matter to the internet you should have to front it up. 

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

42 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Aye, if it's something not even within MFC's power to change it makes the whole exchange from Park even more bizarre. 

If you feel you need to respond, what's wrong with something like 'Staffing the ticket office for such a limited sale is unfortunately just not possible. We had hoped online tickets would be available until kick off, much like we do at Fir Park, but due to factors outwith the club's control this cannot be facilitated, which of course is frustrating for anyone still looking to purchase a ticket'?

Really don't get the argumentative tone towards fans, just not a good look for the club when senior figures act that way. 

It's precisely the sort of self-own that Alan Burrows was really good at avoiding over the years - regardless of the provocation. It doesn't hurt to give a bland answer, while insinuating that it's all Aberdeen's fault as he would probably have done (which is Ironic as this Aberdeen ticketing fiasco is ALL HIS FAULT).

I think there is strong evidence that middle-aged men should have to pass a proficiency test (don't be a gullible p***k, don't post your dodgy searches by accident, leave women un-harangued) before they are allowed access to social media - because they (we?) are f**king horrendous at it in general.