Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Grrat business. Wouldn't be surprised if he is still on less than Kelly was.

Mind folk were handwringing over the idea that big Aston was apparently our "second highest earner" behind Kelly.

Also worth mentioning that Oxborough was an Alexander signing too. We just didn't announce him because of the heat #Grezza was getting post-Sligo.

Screenshot2024-10-10at17_07_27.thumb.png.1baeef3aab6fce54ab7ebe0d5c01bc98.png

Between Oxborough, McGinn and Spittal #Grezza pretty much had a 100% success rate with his signings that summer.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I listened to the most recent Open Goal episode to hear about Halliday's goal Vs Hibs and I did find it really interesting to hear him essentially raving about Oxborough and say how reassuring it was to have a keeper that would collect everything in the air. 

What did he say about his "morelos celebration" and it being "cos it was hibs"

#lottashite

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

Potentially not. We still have other revenue streams as you know, cup semi final, our champions league money next year and the £25m we are due for Miller so don’t sweat if. 

The CL money is already earmarked for the new stadium complex .... and a bus stop.

2 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I listened to the most recent Open Goal episode to hear about Halliday's goal Vs Hibs and I did find it really interesting to hear him essentially raving about Oxborough and say how reassuring it was to have a keeper that would collect everything in the air. 

Well done on taking one for the team by listening to it for us 😉

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Mind folk were handwringing over the idea that big Aston was apparently our "second highest earner" behind Kelly.

Also worth mentioning that Oxborough was an Alexander signing too. We just didn't announce him because of the heat #Grezza was getting post-Sligo.

Screenshot2024-10-10at17_07_27.thumb.png.1baeef3aab6fce54ab7ebe0d5c01bc98.png

Between Oxborough, McGinn and Spittal #Grezza pretty much had a 100% success rate with his signings that summer.

96akoj.jpg

On 06/10/2024 at 18:13, Handsome_Devil said:

I think this is the new 'wait and see' view the vast majority of the support will hold.

Our start has been excellent, you can't argue against it. But setting up to start the way we do leads very much to Alexander comparisons, in the sense of praised when it works but little credit in the bank when it stops.

The United game became a legendary FP night but we were 30 seconds from being booed off at halftime. Had Hibs scored one of four or five great opportunities before we'd managed a shot, how different would yesterday have been etc.

We're averaging a set piece goal per game in the league...that simply cannot continue. 

And the midfield there's no point in repeating the concerns.

So while we've been brilliant in terms of results, it's incredibly fragile.

On the plus side, solid gets you a long, long way in the league and the combination of our results and others means the top six is well and truly possible. Hearts will get better and slow down those chasing us while going by recent years, just over 30 points from the next 26 will have us very competitive for the split - a rate which isn't ridiculous even with an expected slow down.

And for the paranoid among us, utter relegation form of 23 points from the next 31 may still be enough to keep us up (though I wouldn't like to test this!).

Off the back of @Busta Nut unsure about this team and backed up by @Handsome_Devil "fragile" comment, I went looking for stats. Couldn't find one that listed them like below so ended up going through the BBC game ones and transferred them into a spreadsheet. If anyone knows where you can get something similar to the table please advise.

I put them in chronological order, League Cup in light grey (the Box Touches and Ariel Duels are seemingly reserved for league matches only). All Motherwell stats on the left side of the backslash.

image.png.14925cfbdfd242e43e32b6a15c103db9.png

Things that stand out. We've yet to dominate possession in any league game, we are hovering around 39%, helped a lot by that Ross County game. That may be by design (the intensity of our or opposition press) alternatively the midfield we are running with. In the League Cup it's the opposite. While Killie had a Euro hangover Dundee United have been playing well so the latter was a surprise. Maybe the thing that add to the feeling of fragility is the perception of our success' would equate to having the ball more.

The last two games suggest two smash and grabs but its probably more we have a keeper in fine form and more clinical with the opportunities we get. It does suggest we've maybe got more rubs of the green overall so far and that is of course not sustainable and going to even out by mid May. The set piece goals champions last season were Dundee with 17.

Except for Sevco at Hampden, we got more shots away than every team until the last two games, we are a little bit more wasteful than the opposition but not by much. That stat maybe reflects Robinson's lack of composure more than anything else. If anyone recalls when Tony was last in C&A, we got hardly any shots but he/we seemed to score three out of every four of those we did get on target. However under Grezza we also gave other teams the ball and invited endless crosses while depending on Ricki Lamie to clear the lines.

The St Johnstone game suggests for all their possession they didn't do much with it and were meek in the air, maybe shouldn't have let us get a certain centre-half.

We've also only won the crime count once in nine games, a stat that surprising as Gordon did his best in pre-season to wipe out half the team. In five games we were out-hacked by roughly double.

As always, they only show so much. Aberdeen suggests it was tight however anyone who watched it saw we were getting our arse handed to us until Ebiye's goal and our usual extra time surge. The Hearts games suggests it should have been more even but they were chronic and mostly sideways passed for all their possession.

Despite having a possession deficit, when we do have the ball we're using it much better than who we're playing and we're not being dirty in trying to win the ball back either which alludes that we either don't have the mettle in midfield to do so or they've been instructed to be more passive.

Edited by Vietnam91

Fotmob and Sofascore give you stats too, but unsure what gives what from memory as they offer different things (or at least used to).

The little docu piece on Wilson published on YouTube was really well done...nice touch going back to Beith too. You're always wary taking too much from a throwaway line but SK probably deserves credit for seeing his potential and sorting out the less than professional diet when others would have binned him, and fair play to the lad himself for embracing it.

We can hope we'd only have filmed something like this if confident a new deal was in the bag.

Aye I fair enjoyed Ewan's video.

Feel a bit for Seddon but I'd like us to run with Wilson goin forward regardless, he's shown enough to me that he's got talent and looks coach-able. 

I'm a big believer in getting game time when yer young. 

47 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

That to me is massive. Players badly need to play, get game time and develop. Without playing then how the hell do you know if they are good enough.

I often use the Mark Reynolds analogy. I am sure he was like 5th or 6th choice centre back at the time behind Bobby Donnelly, Billy Kinniburgh and the likes.  When he had to play due to injuries and never left the side for years. Don’t give them a good run, by that I don’t mean 2 mins here and there, then you never know. 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Aye I fair enjoyed Ewan's video.

Feel a bit for Seddon but I'd like us to run with Wilson goin forward regardless, he's shown enough to me that he's got talent and looks coach-able. 

Feels like the lead up to announcing he's signed an extension, particularly now the Ox is sorted... hopefully.

Totally agree with @Handsome_Devil, too. Great to hear the credit Ketts and the coaching staff are getting for helping him screw the nut and sort himself out.

Edited by StAndrew7

Just watched the Wilson video, comes across very well and he's had a terrific start to the season. You can tell he's worked his socks off to get to where he is at the moment. 

I thought he looked a bit shaky in the League Cup group games, and actually looked more comfortable in the midfield role, but since moving back into LWB he's looked so much more settled and has barely put a foot wrong. I think given the standards set by Lennon Miller, at only 17/18, it's easy to forget that Wilson is only 19 and still getting used to senior football.  As @Busta Nut said, you do feel a bit for Seddon, who has also looked good in the appearances he's had, but it's Wilson's jersey at the moment for sure. Feels like we have really healthy competition across the squad at the moment, which isn't something we're that used to. Long may it continue. 

10 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Just watched the Wilson video, comes across very well and he's had a terrific start to the season. You can tell he's worked his socks off to get to where he is at the moment. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Wilson has signed a contract which will subsequently be announced, because releasing that video if he hasn't feels a bit mad?

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Wilson has signed a contract which will subsequently be announced, because releasing that video if he hasn't feels a bit mad?

You've seen the state of our Club Comms for the last year or so, right? 😅

But aye, I do agree. He's the next sensible announcement now Ox is sorted.

On 20/06/2024 at 15:56, ropy said:

I am all in on Wilson breaking through this season, he is a fit and robust looking lad, our on loan wing backs have been youngsters, hopefully one of our own can be a success.

I have been all in on this from the start.  I think left backs and Motherwell are usually a good match.

In saying that I would still like to see Seddon get some game time.  We probably need to get a couple of goals up to allow wider use of the bench.