Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Also worth mentioning that Oxborough was an Alexander signing too. We just didn't announce him because of the heat #Grezza was getting post-Sligo.

If there is anything that illustrates how we completely lost the run of ourselves for a while there, it's this. A football club that feels unable to announce a signing is one of the more bizarre things I've seen. The fact that he was clearly a good signing makes it worse.

I get the impression that although we do less eye-catching random stuff these days, we've reverted to actually being quite well run again after what we could call a difficult few years. With the much needed clear out at the Board level, upgraded WS and new Chief Exec getting going - I think it looks (suspiciously) positive at the moment.

Edited by Swello

41 minutes ago, Swello said:

If there is anything that illustrates how we completely lost the run of ourselves for a while there, it's this. A football club that feels unable to announce a signing is one of the more bizarre things I've seen. The fact that he was clearly a good signing makes it worse.

Mind that time we just forgot to announce our manager had signed a new contract and didn't announce it for another 8 months. Looking back on it, have the last 3 seasons been our banter years?

12 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Mind that time we just forgot to announce our manager had signed a new contract and didn't announce it for another 8 months. Looking back on it, have the last 3 seasons been our banter years?

Aye, May 22 onwards was a laughable shambles - not even in retrospect, you could see it at the time.

I think - to be slightly fair - the running of things did improve in the second half of last year and start of this year, it's just the appalling communication and the huge winless run distracted from it. And then there's the whole trying to sell us for pennies thing, which adds a 'apart from that, how was the play, Mrs Lincoln?' vibe to the whole period.

But between the revamped WS and Caldwell finding his feet, I think we can be confident there's an off-field upturn coming. The current on-field feel good factor may turn out to be fleeting but all told, we're in as good a place as we've been since Xmas 21 - well done all involved.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

36 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Hot on the heels of "Theo Bair was shite until we showed him videos of competent footballers"... "we told Ewan Wilson to stop eating Big Macs everyday and now he's a Scotland u21."

I also suspect he's stopped playing 5s with his mates at Hamilton Palace 

2 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

I also suspect he's stopped playing 5s with his mates at Hamilton Palace 

It's surprising how many footballers do this. Chris Kanes St Johnstone career ended when he (allegedly) got injured playing 5s with his mates during his recovery from a previous injury.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's surprising how many footballers do this. Chris Kanes St Johnstone career ended when he (allegedly) got injured playing 5s with his mates during his recovery from a previous injury.

Aye, you see a few down the palace grounds near us. Stephen Welsh (Celtic) I've seen a number of times. Going back a bit but used to always see Ross Forbes up at Maryhill when he was breaking through with us. 

9 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Aye, you see a few down the palace grounds near us. Stephen Welsh (Celtic) I've seen a number of times. Going back a bit but used to always see Ross Forbes up at Maryhill when he was breaking through with us. 

I seem to remember Stephen Hughes turning up to play BB 5s or 7s for 19th Motherwell whilst he was at Rangers. Absolutely ran the show.

I'm about 90% sure I played against Paul Slane at Wishaw Sports Centre back in the day. 

He was a dirty b*****d.*

*Edit to add - as a football player. Nothing to do with his Amsterdam trip. 

Edited by Ron Aldo

Sorry to divert the thread away from famous five a side encounters but for any gentlemen of the XXL or XXXL body type, the British heart foundation shop across from the TSB in Motherwell has got a load of strips for sale - reckon maybe about 10 including the away untouchables effort from the admin season and the Canterbury efforts as well as some bukta and macron ones. 

If anyone is looking to add to their collection, they’re 15/20 quid

Edited by MP_MFC

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Sorry to divert the thread away from famous five a side encounters but for any gentlemen of the XXL or XXXL body type, the British heart foundation shop across from the TSB in Motherwell has got a load of strips for sale - reckon maybe about 10 including the away untouchables effort from the admin season and the Canterbury efforts as well as some bukta and macron ones. 

If anyone is looking to add to their collection, they’re 15/20 quid

Like actually XXL/XXXL or Macron XXL/XXXL because those are wildly different things?

I might have a peek though.  Just in case I put a bit of weight on in the future... 👀

1 hour ago, Pettigrew said:

Ross McCormack was a regular in my work's 5s during the year he spent out "injured" under Malpas.

I heard he has recently referred to that absence as a "thyroid issue".

I remember there were many theories at the time.

Excellent to get the Ox and Tawana tied down to longer deals. However much of the credit should go to those running the club now especially the new CEO who has definitely sorted out the major issues we had and it helps when someone knows how to actually do the job. Even to SK too and even Nick Daws (who used to get slaughtered) for identifying the players for this season so far and coaching them, and hopefully the good run and vibes continue.