Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

At the end of the day, money your club makes is one thing, but I always value what happens ON the park more than I value what happens in the boardroom and rivalry is something that happens in football and it's not pleasant seeing one of your best players move to one of your least favourite clubs.

Now I know, Celtic aren't a 'rival' in terms of competing for trophies (although we did lose two cup finals to them a couple of seasons ago) or in terms of club size, but they are a club that alot of Motherwell fans quite rightly dislike. They are a thoroughly dislikeable bunch as a support and have a pious, sanctimonious, self righteous, hypocritical complex and at the same time 'play the tough guy' as we've seen on numerous occasions at Fir Park over the years, see Skippy Sunday and their destruction of the South Stand for a couple of examples. They are also extremely arrogant, as a club and support, and thanks to support in the media and in some cases, politics, have an air of 'we'll do what we like, cos we're Celtic' about them. And all that before you even go into their IRA songs, and chants mocking the death of one of our 1991 Cup winning team.

Well I make no apology for not wishing any player well who leaves us to join that club and will take no enjoyment watching him score at Fir Park then seeing him and the rest of his team jumping around in front of the South Stand after they've beaten us at Fir Park. I don't begrudge him the move and I don't blame the in for accepting it, I just will not wish any player well who plays for Celtic.

5 minutes ago, MJC said:

At the end of the day, money your club makes is one thing, but I always value what happens ON the park more than I value what happens in the boardroom and rivalry is something that happens in football and it's not pleasant seeing one of your best players move to one of your least favourite clubs.

Now I know, Celtic aren't a 'rival' in terms of competing for trophies (although we did lose two cup finals to them a couple of seasons ago) or in terms of club size, but they are a club that alot of Motherwell fans quite rightly dislike. They are a thoroughly dislikeable bunch as a support and have a pious, sanctimonious, self righteous, hypocritical complex and at the same time 'play the tough guy' as we've seen on numerous occasions at Fir Park over the years, see Skippy Sunday and their destruction of the South Stand for a couple of examples. They are also extremely arrogant, as a club and support, and thanks to support in the media and in some cases, politics, have an air of 'we'll do what we like, cos we're Celtic' about them. And all that before you even go into their IRA songs, and chants mocking the death of one of our 1991 Cup winning team.

Well I make no apology for not wishing any player well who leaves us to join that club and will take no enjoyment watching him score at Fir Park then seeing him and the rest of his team jumping around in front of the South Stand after they've beaten us at Fir Park. I don't begrudge him the move and I don't blame the in for accepting it, I just will not wish any player well who plays for Celtic.

You’ve literally said this like 4/5 times already in the past week. I think we’ve all got the messsage...

Dull post but with Turnbull's imminent departure here's a breakdown of the squads (FT/20s/18s) and contract expiries.

Like most I think we're holding a spot for Gboly but even still despite all the talk having been about wingers and attackers we still look quite light in midfield. An injury to Campbell and Polworth and we're looking at Cornelius, Semple or McAlear for those spots.

Going back to Robinson's comments before the Livi game you'd think there's still a question mark over Donnelly and almost certainly over Hartley, Johnson and Tanner.

I'd be keen for Tait to get the captaincy and a new deal and probably give Campbell the vice captaincy if he wants.

An extension for Charlie Taxi and either of Gillespie/Carson along with a few of the Young Team would be nice too if we can swing it.

First team:
GK: Gillespie / Carson / Ferguson
DF: Tait / Grimshaw / Gallagher / Maguire / Dunne / Hartley / Carroll / Livingstone
MF: Campbell / Sloth / Polworth / Donnelly
FW: Long / Johnson / Hylton / Tanner

= 19

Reserves/u18s:
GK: Morrison / Hemfrey / Connolly
DF: McDonald / Devine / Hussain / Brown / Williamson / Muir
MF: Cornelius / McAlear / Semple / Kettings / Hale / Robertson
FW: Scott / Starrs / Cook

= 18

Contract expiry:

• Morrison
  • Tanner

2020:

• Gillespie
  • Carson
  • Ferguson
  • Tait
  • Grimshaw
  • Maguire
  • Dunne
  • Hartley
  • Livingstone
  • Donnelly
  • Long
  • Johnson
  • Hemfrey
  • Hussain
  • Brown
  • Cornelius
  • McAlear
  • Kettings
  • Starrs

2021:

• Gallagher
  • Carroll
  • Campbell
  • Sloth
  • Polworth
  • Hylton
  • Semple

2022:

• Scott
Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, CSmith said:

You’ve literally said this like 4/5 times already in the past week. I think we’ve all got the messsage...

I don't think folk do get the message to be honest. I keep reading posts saying that they can't understand why some Motherwell fans are annoyed at losing Turnbull to Celtic, so I like to remind them why.

If the scouts haven't identified anyone who fits the model of a young guy in the English lower leagues that we can develop and punt on again in a few years, and the more ambitious targets like Shankland and Doidge are out of our price range, then I think Lafferty is a very very good stopgap for a few years, until another Louis Moult or Marvin Johnson is available. 

Mental that folk want to knockback a guy proven at this level who's been a success at better teams than Motherwell for pretty much his entire career when the alternative is likely a complete punt or another Connor Sammon.

If Scott is really as good as the club potentially think he is, then a few years training and playing alongside another lanky freak of nature with 70 odd international caps and experience of a much higher level probably wouldn't be a bad thing too.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

1 hour ago, MJC said:

I don't think folk do get the message to be honest. I keep reading posts saying that they can't understand why some Motherwell fans are annoyed at losing Turnbull to Celtic, so I like to remind them why.

Your bigoted view of Celtic is well versed it's strange Turnbull isn't a Celtic player yet maybe another twist incoming.
Celtic fly out to Austria tomorrow with no fanfare for Turnbull. 

38 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Your bigoted view of Celtic is well versed it's strange Turnbull isn't a Celtic player yet maybe another twist incoming.
Celtic fly out to Austria tomorrow with no fanfare for Turnbull. 

'Bigoted view'... away and take your face for a shite with that patter.

That's another reason why I dislike Celtic so much, because anyone who criticises them in any way is labelled as bigoted. That is complete nonsense and ironically, a bigoted view in itself.

I have explained my reasons for disliking Celtic and all of them are perfectly reasonable and based on my own experience of them and their support. 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

If the scouts haven't identified anyone who fits the model of a young guy in the English lower leagues that we can develop and punt on again in a few years, and the more ambitious targets like Shankland and Doidge are out of our price range, then I think Lafferty is a very very good stopgap for a few years, until another Louis Moult or Marvin Johnson is available. 

Mental that folk want to knockback a guy proven at this level who's been a success at better teams than Motherwell for pretty much his entire career when the alternative is likely a complete punt or another Connor Sammon.

If Scott is really as good as the club potentially think he is, then a few years training and playing alongside another lanky freak of nature with 70 odd international caps and experience of a much higher level probably wouldn't be a bad thing too.

We've been in a position for the past few seasons where we've taken a lucky dip on "name" players who for one reason or another aren't getting games elsewhere (eg: Ciftci, Sammon, McCormack).

Tbh I don't see that approach changing, it's almost certainly still a market for us and given Lafferty's ongoing situation at Rangers he falls squarely into that bracket. It's really a question of what sort of deal would realistically be feasible (and whether he'd actually be up for signing).

For all the potential newfound Turnbull wealth I don't see our budgets changing too much. We're not going to be able to match his wages and we're not going to be able to pay a fee for him. The flip of that is that Gerrard really, really, really seems to want shot of him and that's probably what it comes down to exactly how much do they want rid.

Despite him being a deeply, deeply dislikable character; Robinson's worked with him before, we've been linked with him before, he lives locally, his brother in law is on our coaching staff and IMO at least he's an ideal fit for the type of #9 we're looking for.

Where in the past we've taken a punt on one 'wildcard' there's maybe a chance we'd free up a modest bit of budget and look to see if there are a couple of deals like that we could do. Short term "quality" punts.

Fortunately for a centre forward it's a pretty low bar based on last season: score more goals than Curtis Main pls.

I think whatever way you slice it with the way things have gone with Cadden and Turnbull out the door (TBC) we probably need a couple of half-way recognisable names in for a bit of hype.

Since I'm launching unashamedly and two-footed into could do a job territory I see that was Lee Erwin issuing a "come and get me" plea to clubs. Who could have foreseen that fucking IRAN would be a different type of lifestyle Lee?

Also, a regular reminder that Kane Hemmings has been relegated into the National League with Notts County and the club have been in the High Court over a tax bill.

Edited by capt_oats

16 minutes ago, MJC said:

'Bigoted view'... away and take your face for a shite with that patter.

That's another reason why I dislike Celtic so much, because anyone who criticises them in any way is labelled as bigoted. That is complete nonsense and ironically, a bigoted view in itself.

I have explained my reasons for disliking Celtic and all of them are perfectly reasonable and based on my own experience of them and their support. 

Constructive criticism is always acceptable you take it to a whole different level,your disliking Celtic is also on a whole different level.
You have no tolerance for anything Celtic which in turn makes you a bigot.

Guest Moomintroll
You can swop out everything you have just said there about the other arse cheek & the same holds true. Not a fan of people rejoicing in the death of anyone but that particular person would hate me simply because of my religion, i find that incredibly pathetic.

10 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
2 hours ago, MJC said:

You can swop out everything you have just said there about the other arse cheek & the same holds true. Not a fan of people rejoicing in the death of anyone but that particular person would hate me simply because of my religion, i find that incredibly pathetic.

You can't know if he would hate you for that at all. 

Incidentally, on the whole “this is our market” tip; are there any beloved former Motherwell players in the style of McDonald, Pearson and McCormack who are on the fringes of other teams and are unlikely to be getting first team games?

Guest Moomintroll
You can't know if he would hate you for that at all. 
His hatred for people of my religion was always an open secret back then, a shame really as I always thought he was a fantastic player, just unfortunate that he had been so thoroughly indoctrinated.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Incidentally, on the whole “this is our market” tip; are there any beloved former Motherwell players in the style of McDonald, Pearson and McCormack who are on the fringes of other teams and are unlikely to be getting first team games?

Maybe overly ambitious but Murphy at Rangers? You’ve also mentioned Erwin who might actually be an option, mind Robinson took him to Oldham and that. Also Ainsworth will be looking for a club but I highly doubt Robinson wants him and many fans would be opposed. Although, a front line with Ariyibi and Ainsworth would be new level #SexyMotherwell 1 in every 7 games. Although there’s like zero chance of him coming here, it’ll be interesting to see what happens to Marvin Johnson this summer, as he was used in a minimal capacity on loan at Sheffield United and he was very out of favour at Middlesbrough.

36 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Constructive criticism is always acceptable you take it to a whole different level,your disliking Celtic is also on a whole different level.
You have no tolerance for anything Celtic which in turn makes you a bigot.

There is nothing constructive about labelling a person you have never met and know nothing of apart from their views on a particular football club, as a bigot.

I have explained my dislike for Celtic in detail and have done so in a perfectly reasonable and constructive manner. I am pretty sure that you could find supporters of any football club in the world who could list off a number of reasons why they dislike or are intolerant towards another club and I am pretty certain that you would not label any of them bigoted for doing so unless that club was Celtic.

You clearly have no tolerance for anyone who criticises Celtic and cast completely unreasonable aspersions upon them for doing so, which in turn makes YOU a bigot in my opinion.

Edited by MJC

39 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
3 hours ago, MJC said:

Perhaps you could and if anyone holds those views on the other lot then I respect their right to hold those views.

As for your remarks about Davie Cooper, that is just silly talk and unless you knew the man personally and got an in-depth insight into his personal views, then that comment is incredibly pathetic.

Guest Moomintroll
Perhaps you could and if anyone holds those views on the other lot then I respect their right to hold those views.
As for your remarks about Davie Cooper, that is just silly talk and unless you knew the man personally and got an in-depth insight into his personal views, then that comment is incredibly pathetic.
We will have to agree to disagree on this one then, I never knew him, however I know a few people who did through links to Motherwell & Junior Football and this, alongside the wisdom of the day back then & his open admission of certain things, colours my judgement of him.

5 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
19 minutes ago, MJC said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this one then, I never knew him, however I know a few people who did through links to Motherwell & Junior Football and this, alongside the wisdom of the day back then & his open admission of certain things, colours my judgement of him.

So basically you just listen to gossip rather than forming an opinion based on experience. Your 'opinion' is therefore worthless to me.

Guest Moomintroll
So basically you just listen to gossip rather than forming an opinion based on experience. Your 'opinion' is therefore worthless to me.
It was not gossip, I am not about to name these people but they are highly credible & have no reason to make shit up. Davie Cooper was not exactly shy about his dislike of theyum back in the 80s.