Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

MJC unsurprisingly getting a stauncher over this.

About a player who is a proven goalscorer in the Scottish top flight potentially being linked with us?

I don't know about a stauner or a stauncher as you put it, but the prospect of us signing that player appeals to me. He'd score goals for us, I'm sure of that.

I agree with the posters saying Celtic isn’t the best place for a Scottish youngster to develop and excel their game, but he will definitely be getting more first team experience here than at Norwich. Going by the Motherwell fans on here he has been consistent in saying he will only move to a team where he is guaranteed to be playing week in week out, so if the only 2 options were Celtic and Norwich I think he’s made the correct decision  

If it was up to me I would be selling Rogic to the highest bidder, phasing Brown out of the first team into a back up role and playing a midfield of Turnbull and Christie with McGregor sitting (assuming Ntcham is leaving). If that midfield 3 could get Champions League experience it could be the Scotland national teams midfield for years to come. 

I really rate Turnbull and also work with a couple of Motherwell fans who absolutely rave about him. If he can score that amount of goals from midfield for Motherwell then I would like to think he could do the same for Celtic where he will playing amongst a higher calibre of player (no disrespect to the Motherwell team).

In my opinion he should be in the first 11 from the opening day of the season, and I will be very annoyed if he’s used in any other way. If that was to happen then the fans berating Celtic for wasting Scottish talent will be completely vindicated. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Celtic isn't the best place to develop for certain Scottish players, i.e the ones who were never good enough for them in the first place.

Celtic have shown in recent times they will bring through and play Scottish talent in Tierney, McGregor, Christie, Forrest and Griffiths.  Those guys are mainstays in the national team now. 

It won't be great seeing Turnbull in a Celtic shirt, but I do believe he's good enough to excel in that side and hopefully, in a couple of years, he moves on for a very sizeable fee and we get our 15%. 

But aye, let's get it announced so we can move on and get some signings in (hiya Gboly, hiya pal!) 

12 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that he had to go to Manchester for a medical - no idea why...

Apparently it's an issue at Ross Hall.

Burrows confirmed we've had a similar problem with a potential new player.

Edited by capt_oats

I got over the Turnbull to Celtic move quickly after the bid was first accepted, which was more than a week ago. As a fan, I would have always preferred him to go south to avoid playing against us, but the cash Celtic were paying was a good bit of business for us.

Good luck to the lad. He signed a new deal in January when he could have picked up a bigger signing on fee by signing a pre contract and moving for buttons. He signed that deal, with the agreement that if a good offer was made for him then we would accept it. £3m is a massive amount of money for us.

The amount of people losing their shit over the move is cringeworthy. I’ve seen everything from wishing him a broken leg to not renewing season tickets as it’s Celtic he is going to. Maybe I just don’t take things so seriously these days!

3 hours ago, Mitch said:

I got over the Turnbull to Celtic move quickly after the bid was first accepted, which was more than a week ago. As a fan, I would have always preferred him to go south to avoid playing against us, but the cash Celtic were paying was a good bit of business for us.

Good luck to the lad. He signed a new deal in January when he could have picked up a bigger signing on fee by signing a pre contract and moving for buttons. He signed that deal, with the agreement that if a good offer was made for him then we would accept it. £3m is a massive amount of money for us.

The amount of people losing their shit over the move is cringeworthy. I’ve seen everything from wishing him a broken leg to not renewing season tickets as it’s Celtic he is going to. Maybe I just do take things so seriously these days!

100%.

I paid a visit to Steelmen for the first time in a long time yesterday and, while it's my own fault for looking in the first place, it absolutely melted my brain. I don't know if folk are just desperate to be raging about something or they're just wilfully stupid but the number of people who seem completely unable to read between the lines or see the bigger picture is mind-blowing.

We're in a position where we've had our valuation matched and the player has done us a turn. We're receiving £3.25m for a single player transaction - our entire turnover in 2017 (a fairly average season) was £4.18m. My eyes are pretty much rolling out their sockets at the "we should have kept him for another season" takes.

Turnbull had 2 choices: a train to Norwich or a taxi to Parkhead.

Nice as it would have been to get another season out him there's no chance we were handing back that sort of money. The positive is that in clearing the loans owed it hopefully means we can continue to be 'robust' if teams are chapping our door making enquiries.

In a general sense it's been an interesting experience and certainly instructive in terms of relative/perceived value; apparently there were 15 teams 'interested' to some degree but only 2 bit at our price. For me that supports Burrows' comment that the Celtic offer was the "optimum" we'd receive.

If we'd underpriced him I'd have thought there would have been a bit more competition.

2 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Rumours were in for Liam brown, thoughts on him? I thought he’d have been about your first team, he seemed quite highly thought of

There are a few posts in this thread about Brown from ages ago when it was looking like he was going to Dunfermline. My bit on him below:

On 22/05/2019 at 05:51, capt_oats said:

There are a couple of posts about him a few pages back when the move was first rumoured.

Robinson mentioned that we’d pulled a loan move for him back in January because we wanted to see if we could get him in the first team (but also suggested he had been carrying an injury). He’s not really been seen much since.

Fwiw: Brown was a regular for our u20s/Reserves under Craigan. He stepped down around the end of December and Maurice Ross took his place. There seems to have been a change of approach at that level as a result.

We signed him from Queen’s Park and had been playing first team games with them. He’s tidy on the ball, likes a tackle but is definitely at the stage where he needs regular first team football and he was unlikely to get in ahead of Allan Campbell (who we’ve offered a new deal to) and it seems Ross is looking to the age groups below to kick on now, he was talking up Dean Cornelius a lot in the recent MFC Podcast.

There’s a lot to like about Brown. I’d hope he’d be able to do you guys a turn.

Edited by capt_oats