Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It was mentioned above that Robinson was a good fit for us, I often think be careful what you wish for, Levien had a job for life but took on the managers role, out of work in the summer.  Is a short term pay increase better than longevity in a job?

Scott Burns reporting that Hibs might be about to hijack Robinson’s proposed move to Hearts. 

Link

We reckon his agent is just at it then?

As much as I like Robinson, I’m not sure I believe that both Edinburgh clubs are going to be fighting each other for his services - especially when they’d have to pay 6 figures for the privilege.   

Edited by Casagolda

53 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Scott Burns reporting that Hibs might be about to hijack Robinson’s proposed move to Hearts. 

Link

As much as I like Robinson, I’m not sure I believe that both Edinburgh clubs are going to be fighting each other for his services - especially when they’d have to pay 6 figures for the privilege.   

To be fair £120k as being reported if true is peanuts. That is a jump of 2 league places which one would imagine both Hibs and Hearts believe would be the minimum impact of appointing Robinson. 

Not sure it is the agent more probably the media who have put his name in the frame for both jobs. For once I can see why. He has us sitting in 3rd place and for the most part recruited well this summer on a budget quite a bit lower then Heckinbottom and Levein. 
I still think Hearts will go for a bigger and more experienced appointment. Hibs also but Robinson would be a strong back up option for either.

Interestingly he is unlikely to apply for either role for obvious reasons and neither club is likely to ask to speak to him until they see who has applied. Chances are one of the two may ask permission to talk to him at some point as part of a shortlist. They must be careful however as we do not want this to become an irritation to Motherwell FC unless of course that is a deliberate strategy......

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/liam-polworth-transfer-chase-portsmouth-20812094

Portsmouth apparently interested in Liam Polworth.

Not sure how much of a fee we could command but if he ends up being set on a move to the South Coast, surely we would be better offering him on loan (with an obligation to buy for £5 milliion) to one of Brighton, Bournemouth or Southampton?

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/liam-polworth-transfer-chase-portsmouth-20812094

Not sure how much of a fee we could command but if he ends up being set on a move to the South Coast, surely we would be better offering him on loan (with an obligation to buy for £5 milliion) to one of Brighton, Bournemouth or Southampton?

Rumours it's Newcastle who are interested. 

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Link

I think it looks more like his Mr. 20% now than it did yesterday.

I know Hibs are minted these days but in this calendar year alone they've already had to settle with Lennon, shelled out cash for Doidge and have now emptied Hecky & Stockdale. Chucking money at compensation for Robinson seems a bit of an unnecessary expenditure when you've got more straightforward (free) options like Jack Ross or even Stubbs available.

Having read the quotes from the Budge press conference yesterday about wanting a very experienced and high profile manager and (more importantly) wanting to appoint a sporting director before the manager makes the whole Robinson thing sound more like a strategy of getting his name linked to jobs rather than a genuine interest.

As I said yesterday that's Luton, Millwall, Doncaster, Barnsley, Hearts and now Hibs he's been 'linked' with since the turn of the year.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I take it the figure of £120k that's being chucked about is just the remainder of his contract, say 2 years of a £60k salary or something like that? How long does he have left on his contract?

It was the oddly specific figure of £120k that first made me think that it was Robinson's agent out on maneuvers rather than the Hearts end that the story was coming from. 

5 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I take it the figure of £120k that's being chucked about is just the remainder of his contract, say 2 years of a £60k salary or something like that? How long does he have left on his contract?

Signed his extension (along with Lasley) in the summer up to 2022. Link.

So, another 2 years after this season.

58 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I mean, I know it's us delivering on our promises to players as far as 'giving them a platform' goes and that's how we sell the club but fucking hell...it's a grind.

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, I know it's us delivering on our promises to players as far as 'giving them a platform' goes and that's how we sell the club but fucking hell...it's a grind.

I'm 100% on board with the concept that it's easier to attract players if you've got a track record of shifting them on to more money somewhere else and that we need to sell as part of our business model - but there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. If guys are moving on after 18 months, it's fair play - but if the jungle drums are starting in early November for a guy that's just in the door, that's the wrong side of the line and would have the supporters mutinous pretty quickly. Apart from anything else, Polworth already looks like a difficult guy to replace - so I'd be against it for that reason alone.

We need to strike the balance between the model and being seen as a short term stopping off point where you spend a year and f**k off somewhere better.

To be fair I'd say Polworth is the one player in the squad who we have a ready made replacement already sitting in stands at the moment.

Joking aside though, unless it's mental money I don't think there's much point selling him in January. There's nothing to suggest this is a purple patch or that his value will decrease drastically if we decide to sell him in a couple of windows time when it suits us better.

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

To be fair I'd say Polworth is the one player in the squad who we have a ready made replacement already sitting in stands at the moment.

Joking aside though, unless it's mental money I don't think there's much point selling him in January. There's nothing to suggest this is a purple patch or that his value will decrease drastically if we decide to sell him in a couple of windows time when it suits us better.

Casper Sloth, obviously.