Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, ropy said:

He is just saying that we shouldn’t consider the job done and the Well Society still needs help from the fans 

I think that's kinda obvious. It needs the fans as it always has.

Les is a c**t as he always was.

20 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think that's kinda obvious. It needs the fans as it always has.

Les is a c**t as he always was.

He gave us at least half a million quid. He at least gets credit for that.

But more than that he was a vital brige between John Boyle and fan ownership because the whole thing was stalling out as Boyle wanted more money. He said we were 2 weeks from Admin and I wouldn't have put it past Boyle to do to us a 2nd time.

I heard Casper Sloth grew up in a small Danish village where everyone is named after an animal that best represents their work ethic.

We had to choose between him and his transgender brother Ida Beaver.

22 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

He gave us at least half a million quid. He at least gets credit for that.

But more than that he was a vital brige between John Boyle and fan ownership because the whole thing was stalling out as Boyle wanted more money. He said we were 2 weeks from Admin and I wouldn't have put it past Boyle to do to us a 2nd time.

Les is a horrible c**t.

9 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
29 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:
Les is a horrible c**t.

How come? Genuine question - can't say I know anything about him.

You still gutted you didn't get invited to do the Podcast Special live from Barbados? 

He made good points about a lot of work still needing to be done and I'm very grateful for him stepping and the contribution (not least writing off half a million) but it did come across as him thinking he wasn't getting enough credit and needing his ego massaged. It was like a radio interview just for him to confirm that we had paid off the debt and make sure everyone knew he had donated £1/2m.

If I recall correctly the debt got to £1.6m based largely on Les insistence on signing certain players that Burrows and the Manager did not feel we needed. Or at the very least we did not need such an inflated squad. 

I am grateful he did the double your money offer, but in all honesty if he is as rich as is being reported then £1-2m £ is a drop in the ocean. Not saying he should of bankrolled us but it seemed a lengthy negotiation to get fan owned. 

Would not call him a c u next Tuesday but I also feel he is milking his worth and input when in truth he easily could have done more. Not a true Well fan or even close. His daughter is and why he probably got involved. 

All that said if the clubs survival was based on his input and support then he is due some credit. 

The 2 weeks from administration claim is an interesting one and I certainly hadn't heard anything along those lines before.

I had bumped up my direct debit to the well society for the double your money deal and cancelled it recently as there didn't seem to be a way to just reduce it. Need to set up a new one (albeit at a lower level) as every penny counts for a fan owned club.

There was definitely a slice of luck about both our goals today, but I kind of think that when you have as much possession on the edge of the opposition's box as we do in most games right now you probably deserve a ball to ricochet the right way in the penalty box or slip through the keeper's hands.

Have any of you got a link, or explanation, about exactly how much the Well Society puts in, and how it works?

Our chairman always talks about how his ideal "way out" would be fan ownership but hes not convinced it would work at a club of our size.

You lot are obviously a bit bigger in terms of support, so could be a handy sort of gauge to know what level of backing we would need.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have any of you got a link, or explanation, about exactly how much the Well Society puts in, and how it works?

Our chairman always talks about how his ideal "way out" would be fan ownership but hes not convinced it would work at a club of our size.

You lot are obviously a bit bigger in terms of support, so could be a handy sort of gauge to know what level of backing we would need.

There's a pretty straightforward 'how it works' guide on the WS website here and also a FAQ page here. Although clearly this was beyond Kheredine Idessane as he sounded utterly baffled when he was interviewing Alan Burrows on Sportsound yesterday.

HowItWorks_Finances-600x419.png

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think one of the biggest things about fan ownership based on our example is that the club needs to be well run on its own merits, as the model we have (based on our support) is not really equipped to plug huge holes in the finances. St Johnstone are already a well run club and there isn't really a reason why our model could work there too. I think where it would be difficult would be where a club was a shit show to begin with - I don't think the model we use is designed to mop up the mess left by a inept owner that's run up massive debts.

St Johnstone having a smaller fanbase on paper would mean that the income stream from their version of the Well Society would be smaller and so the margin for error for the club would be less - they could only cover a smaller operating loss were that to happen. On the other side of it, Perthshire is a relatively affluent part of the country (certainly compared to Lanarkshire) and it may be that fewer supporters making larger donations on average would help make it viable.

Because it's been a quiet success largely devoid of hype and because most of the hard work behind the scenes is invisible to normal supporters/owners - I think a lot of us already take fan ownership for granted. The next phase is what interests me - Alan Burrows is now talking about training centres and new stadiums and I'm slightly sceptical about how we fund big capital projects without outside help - we can't rely on the same (already highly leveraged) 2 or 3 thousand core supporters for that.