Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I think last night neatly summed us up so far this season- entertaining and infuriating in almost equal measure. 

Back to middle, we look well-coached and pretty impressive. In forward areas, it's random madness. A lot of times, it's good madness - but so many of our problems seem to come from forwards making bad decisions (giving away daft free kicks, losing their man, giving the ball away and allowing teams to break on us, etc). 

If we can coach the forwards and improve them as we go along, we could be a decent team :)

5 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I don’t think we’re as good on the wings as we were January to May. Everyone of them apart from Illic looks like they’ll improve which is encouraging.

Ilic seems to get a fair amount of stick but I still reckon there's something there. 

Or he can play us a belter set at the cup final winning party. ULLLLLTTRAAAA!

13 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Shout out also to Devante Cole for last nights fresh air kick. Wonderful step-over, glides past his man then follows it up with a swing and a miss of such ferocity I thought his leg was going to come off and launch into orbit.

He was the happiest man on the park when Donnelly did his free-kick :)

55 minutes ago, Swello said:

He was the happiest man on the park when Donnelly did his free-kick :)

Can someone explain what happened there? Where I sit, the Killie wall was between me and the free kick so all I saw was Donnelly run up to take it, the ball go almost straight up in the air, and the ref give Killie a free kick. It was a good few minutes before this look ---> 😕 left my face.

Edited by Al B

That’s Robinson into favourite for the Hearts job, bringing back memories of when Billy Stark was 1/4 to be appointed our manager.

If it is the situation they want to appoint by the middle of next week, it suggests they are a bit further down the line than most teams would tend to be when they only sacked their gaffer seven hours ago?

Pretty hopeful this is all guess work on the part of the media.

That’s Robinson into favourite for the Hearts job, bringing back memories of when Billy Stark was 1/4 to be appointed our manager.

If it is the situation they want to appoint by the middle of next week, it suggests they are a bit further down the line than most teams would tend to be when they only sacked their gaffer seven hours ago?

Pretty hopeful this is all guess work on the part of the media.

I really don’t think that Robinson will go to Hearts. He has made comments about being a really good fit for Motherwell and vice versa. Hearts would need to pay a reasonable sum of compensation for him as well.
Only thing making me doubt my gut feel is the McCann link through NI. They have been part of the same coaching staff at NI so will have a relationship (no idea if it’s positive or not). From the statement, it looks like McCann will be staying in role, so having a cracking at a bigger club with an assistant he knows could be appealing to him.

We shall wait and see, but I’m not worried about the outcome.

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

I really don’t think that Robinson will go to Hearts. He has made comments about being a really good fit for Motherwell and vice versa. Hearts would need to pay a reasonable sum of compensation for him as well.
Only thing making me doubt my gut feel is the McCann link through NI. They have been part of the same coaching staff at NI so will have a relationship (no idea if it’s positive or not). From the statement, it looks like McCann will be staying in role, so having a cracking at a bigger club with an assistant he knows could be appealing to him.

We shall wait and see, but I’m not worried about the outcome.

I would be. For all that quite a few Well fans still do not seem to rate Robinson and quite frankly after what he has achieved I am not sure what would impress them.....

Like Managers some players seem to fit a club and perform whereas in different culture, atmosphere and expectation levels could be found wanting. So no guarantee Robinson would succeed at Hearts, but let’s face it based on his record with us on a much lower budget then he would seem a very good option for them. 

My hope is they would target someone who does not require compensation and / or Robinson knows he is (asides a few daft Well fans)  well liked and in a good place for hopefully a bigger and better gig down south when the time comes. Of course he could think it could all go wrong next couple of months and now is the time to take a chance and earn more money. 

Hopefully he is still our Manager in the coming weeks. 

Hearts are a bigger club than us of course - he would get a bigger salary, a bigger wage budget and better facilities so if he's offered it, it seems like a no-brainer when put like that.

The flipside of this is that he would be swapping from a very stable club where he is backed to the hilt by his boss to a club that seems like a bit of shit show from the outside (and more importantly, where the owner regularly writes  comedy 3000-word stream of consciousness statements so bad that Jim Traynor would disown them). Add to that, that he would be going to a club where even finishing third behind a strong OF would be viewed as the bare minimum and barely acceptable if it were to be accompanied by a poor season in the cups. Motherwell supporters often have unrealistic expectations - but it is absolutely *nothing* compared to what he would face at Tynecastle.

Based on nothing, I would guess that managers probably view the world the same way that players/agents do now - in that a move to the right club in England would be a far better career move than an upward (but not very far upward) move within our league. If Robinson were to deliver a good season for us, he will have better offers than Hearts in the Summer...

I really like Robinson but I'm pretty chilled out if he does decide to leave. He's done a good enough job that I can't begrudge him a move to a bigger club for more money, but at the same time he hasn't done such an amazing job that I'll be devastated when he leaves, if that makes sense.

I'd be interested to see how he does tbh, he's a better manager than Levein but he has a lot of the same faults.

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I really like Robinson but I'm pretty chilled out if he does decide to leave. He's done a good enough job that I can't begrudge him a move to a bigger club for more money, but at the same time he hasn't done such an amazing job that I'll be devastated when he leaves, if that makes sense.

I'd be interested to see how he does tbh, he's a better manager than Levein but he has a lot of the same faults.

I'm pretty much in the same place tbh.

I like Robinson a lot.

He's done a better job than I think any of us would have anticipated when he was appointed and the "underwhelming and cheap" shouts were flying around. The disappointment for me would be that after stabilising the club and having 3 team rebuilds it'd feel like a bit of a missed opportunity if he was to f**k off - to a league rival or elsewhere - just at the point at which he's put a halfway decent team on the park.

The flip is Robinson's basically given us a template for the qualities that are needed for a manager to work in our model. I'd like to think we've a far clearer idea of what we're looking for in a candidate now. So in that respect I'm far more relaxed...we're not sitting a couple of points off the bottom of the table with Craig Samson in goal and Zak Jules at centre half.

The key difference for me is that it feels like we're probably in a better place to deal with replacing him if he was to move (which he undoubtedly will at some point if he keeps up our form). For once we're up at the right end of the table, have an established reputation for developing players and a well regarded Academy structure. I don't think it's too much to suggest that we might be a bit more of an appealing proposition at the moment than when we were in free fall under McGhee or watching the wheels fall off under McCall.

As it stands there's not too much wrong with the team itself, we're sitting 3rd in the league with a number of sellable assets  and players to build a team around in Turnbull, Campbell, Scott. Gallagher, Polworth etc.

Robinson's on a 46% win rate, 2 cup finals, 7th and 8th during a period of transition off the park along with record turnover and profit along with a marked improvement in player trading. Add that to giving regular games to Campbell, Hastie, Turnbull, Scott and now Maguire he's (eventually) ticked every box short of top 6 (which he's on course for this season) and a cup win.

Unlike the position we were in when McCall bailed or when Baraclough and McGhee were emptied we're on far more stable ground in terms of league position and (hopefully) finances. The fan-ownership process is just over 3 years old and everyone seems to know where they stand on that score.

Having said all that, I'd very much like him to stay as regardless of the resident morons in our support mewling if we lose a game he's clearly a very good coach and he's a good fit for what we're trying to do.

Edited by capt_oats

If he has any ambition at all he'll be looking to head down south. Hearts are a basket case of a club. Obviously they have greater resources than we do but is it really that much of a step up? What's he going to do there to increase his visibility to clubs down south that he can't do (or hasn't already done) here?

13 minutes ago, nsr said:

If he has any ambition at all he'll be looking to head down south. Hearts are a basket case of a club. Obviously they have greater resources than we do but is it really that much of a step up? What's he going to do there to increase his visibility to clubs down south that he can't do (or hasn't already done) here?

I don't think he'll go to Hearts personally but they're hardly a basket case.

Despite poor on pitch performances they are pretty well run.

Outwith the Old Firm, I don't see moving from one Premiership team to another as being a step up from a "sporting" point of view.

Hearts can undoubtedly pay more money but what can he really achieve there that he couldn't achieve at Motherwell? A top 6 finish and a decent cup run is what I'd guess the vast majority of Premiership clubs aim for these days.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Outwith the Old Firm, I don't see moving from one Premiership team to another as being a step up from a "sporting" point of view.

Hearts can undoubtedly pay more money but what can he really achieve there that he couldn't achieve at Motherwell? A top 6 finish and a decent cup run is what I'd guess the vast majority of Premiership clubs aim for these days.

I think you're right - but 5th or 6th in the league would never be seen as a decent season by Hearts supporters (with some justification given their budget is probably 2 or 3 times what 'Well, Killie or St Johnstone would be spending)

Aye tbh I doubt he'll go to Hearts. As appealing a job it is, he still spends a lot of time in NI and the north of England so I imagine he'll be gunning for a job in either of them when he leaves, rather than moving an hour or so in the opposite direction.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Also, looking at Hearts' squad, the only real width there is Mulraney and Calumnnnnnnnn Morrison. It'd be some laugh if Hearts finally ditched Levein only for Robbo to rock up with a 3-5-2 and continue shelling balls at Uche :lol:

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil