Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I've found it a bit weird that out of our 5 option for the front three- I refuse to include Ilic or Manzinga- Scott seems to be the only undisputed starter, despite probably contributing the least so far, both in hard stats (league goals) and general performances, if you adjust for minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the big guy and he's improved an obscene amount in the last eight months or whatever. I'm sure the game time he's currently getting will help turn him into a great player for us going forward, and it's not even a case of him deserving to be dropped tbh. I just think we've got 5 options of pretty similar quality, and I'm not sure he's done enough to nail down one of those spots yet.

I meant to reply to this point yesterday, there was a tactical analysis of the Hibs game on the Modern Fitba' website a while back that I've referenced before but I'd guess probably answers the notion of disproportionate amount of game time Scott seems to have had compared to the other forwards. I think it's probably fair to say it's a reasonable point:

This is why I didn’t describe Motherwell’s attacking structure as ‘poor’ earlier on: Because while there was one time Polworth dropped deep into space to receive and got ignored by Hartley, this structure may well have been a deliberate ploy. Certainly the way in which they consistently played long diagonals out to James Scott on the right wing made it seem not an accident. And if it was deliberate, kudos to Robinson for exploiting a weakness in this Hibs side: namely a lack of physicality.

Scott is 6ft 2in tall. His opposite man, Hibs left-back Lewis Stevenson, is 5ft 7in. To put it kindly, aerial duels between these two weren’t really a fair contest. Scott frequently brought the ball down himself to allow Motherwell to attack from inside the Hibs half, but even if he didn’t Stevenson struggled to properly clear his lines in these situations due to the physical disadvantage.

Motherwell were then set up to fight for the second ball after the initial aerial non-contest. Donnelly was on Allan; Campbell was on Stevie Mallan; Grimshaw was on Middleton – all Hibs players around the ball were man-marked by a physically stronger Motherwell player. So, even if Hibs managed to pick up the loose ball, they were often immediately nudged off it or pressured into turnovers.

In a nutshell, Scott's the only one of the forwards who has the height and physicality to play that role and give us the out ball - you could make an argument for Cole but I think most would agree he's not looked particularly comfortable when he's been played wide and neither Seedorf or Hylton have Scott's height advantage.

Having said that, IIRC Robinson mentioned that he thought he was in a position where he may be able to start both Seedorf and Hylton now as he's closer to being able to get 90 mins out both. Clearly it'd depend on the opposition but generally speaking I'm not sure starting both would give us the same sort of balance.

I mentioned it the last time the subject came up but while I 100% recognise we seem committed to making him a #8 I'd quite like to see Jamie Semple get a crack at one of the wide positions off the bench. Maybe not at Ibrox like but perhaps as an alternative to chucking Ilic on for 20 against a St Mirren or St Johnstone.

Edited by capt_oats

18 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

You killed our dreams that day. No need to laugh about it.

TBF, Tam Rogic and Scott Brown (yours, not theirs) did more of that than we did.

We just got the same change out of Reynolds that everyone striker benching above 50kgs got out of us for years.

6 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

TBF, Tam Rogic and Scott Brown (yours, not theirs) did more of that than we did.

We just got the same change out of Reynolds that everyone striker benching above 50kgs got out of us for years.

Scott Brown cost us many points in the second half of that season, it's why I'll never like that big toothed German idiot Jurgen klopp for taking Danny Ward away from us then sticking him on Liverpools bench.

The title was always a very long shot to be honest but I lost all hope that day. At least Barry Robson smashed Scott Mcdonalds face in, every cloud.

7 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The title was always a very long shot to be honest but I lost all hope that day. At least Barry Robson smashed Scott Mcdonalds face in, every cloud.

I honestly think Robson had been desperate to cave Mcdonald's skull in for years and took the opportunity for a free hit when he realised the game/title was gone.

23 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I honestly think Robson had been desperate to cave Mcdonald's skull in for years and took the opportunity for a free hit when he realised the game/title was gone.

Wasn't he only on the pitch a minute before the red?

4 hours ago, VivaMotherwell said:

Alright folks,

Apologies if this isn’t allowed but I’m running a wee player of the decade tournament and trying to get as many responses as I can, if anyone could fill this out it’d be greatly appreciated emoji16.png

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YTTMRQ3

Went for Moult. Guys like Higdon and Sutton had better #numbers and a few of McCall's team have had better careers than Moult will likely go on to, but the ridiculous amount of big goals Moult scored in mediocre to shite Motherwell sides swung it for me.

We've had some cracking players throughout the 2010s, namely Randolph, Moult, Ruddy, Juke, Turnbull and Higdon. Plus guys who've made a huge contribution like Nicky Law, Ainsworth, Hammell, Sutton, Lasley, Ojamaa, Kipre and Faddy(from February - May '13) .

But for me the best Motherwell FC player of the last decade is Michael Higdon, hands down. Not only was he a prolific and reliable goalscorer but he brought so much to that team and seemed to genuinely enjoy being involved at our club. He was underrated by many but we've never properly replaced him since he left.

8 hours ago, VivaMotherwell said:

Alright folks,

Apologies if this isn’t allowed but I’m running a wee player of the decade tournament and trying to get as many responses as I can, if anyone could fill this out it’d be greatly appreciated emoji16.png

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YTTMRQ3

Like many before and after, I chose Michael Higdon. Best scouser ever.

We’ve had some great players over the past few years ie Higdon, Hutchinson Turnbull etc however for me the best has got to be Moult. For me without his goals and general play we could have quite easily have been relegated during McGhees season. I understand many would say Higdon, however he perhaps needed Henrik/Faddy/Humphrey around him for his goals, I think Moult had perhaps less service and still managed to bang them in.