Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think the club are rightfully taking their time with Turnbull given his young age and value. If this was a more experienced player I suspect he would be back much sooner.

In terms of timeline I would still be surprised if he's not back in training by December. The word from the club recently has been January is the goal but I would suggest that they are publically stating a later target so Davie is relaxed as possible and there is no pressure on him to rush things. I'd like to think we will see him in the squad before the New Year but maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

I know we can all question where he fits in the current midfield but the prospect of this problem is really encouraging especially given our current league position. As good as we have been, you make room in this team for him (when he is fully fit)

It will be interesting to see what happens in the January window. Are Celtic going to wait until he has 'proven his fitness' and if so will other clubs from down south take a chance on him? I suspect there might be a bit more urgency on Celtic's part if they remain 2nd in the league. Either way, there is no point in us waiting for him to regain fitness and then just selling him for a cut price deal when he is contracted until 2021. I don't think the club are going to roll over. Hopefully he stays until the summer if no one is going to cough up the original price.

Edited by Luke92

Another day of tiresome Declan Gallagher stories in the press.

Today’s example is passed off a road to redemption tale when in actual fact that’s not something that Stephen Craigan has mentioned whatsoever, it’s just a pretty poor attempt at spinning the story.

Whether you believe it’s right or wrong, people are going to dig up Declan’s past from time to time, but I don’t think anyone is trying to suggest his good performance on a football pitch is eradicating that, albeit with exception of one Daily Record journalist.

I find the suggestion that he’s somehow flaunting his crime by playing football a bit absurd really. Surely he has the right to get on with his life and the fact he’s doing well in his profession is a positive?

In addition to all of this, it all started up again with a shambles of a story in the Sun over the weekend where they ‘spoke’ to a friend of the victim. I can only speculate, but you’ve got to feel for the victim having what clearly was a horrendous event dragged out in public six years on?

This won’t be one that everyone agrees on, but I think the way the stories are being presented is miles out.

Guest superward
2 hours ago, Luke92 said:

I think the club are rightfully taking their time with Turnbull given his young age and value. If this was a more experienced player I suspect he would be back much sooner.

In terms of timeline I would still be surprised if he's not back in training by December. The word from the club recently has been January is the goal but I would suggest that they are publically stating a later target so Davie is relaxed as possible and there is no pressure on him to rush things. I'd like to think we will see him in the squad before the New Year but maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

I know we can all question where he fits in the current midfield but the prospect of this problem is really encouraging especially given our current league position. As good as we have been, you make room in this team for him (when he is fully fit)

It will be interesting to see what happens in the January window. Are Celtic going to wait until he has 'proven his fitness' and if so will other clubs from down south take a chance on him? I suspect there might be a bit more urgency on Celtic's part if they remain 2nd in the league. Either way, there is no point in us waiting for him to regain fitness and then just selling him for a cut price deal when he is contracted until 2021. I don't think the club are going to roll over. Hopefully he stays until the summer if no one is going to cough up the original price.

17 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

Stories about DT/Celtic surface the very week he returns to Dalzell for some light running and stepping up the comeback....agent at work methinks.

7 minutes ago, superward said:

Stories about DT/Celtic surface the very week he returns to Dalzell for some light running and stepping up the comeback....agent at work methinks.

If you think the board at MFC aren't fully behind this tactic then I'd suggest you're being somewhat naïve. 

25 minutes ago, superward said:

Not really.

The Sun article is lifted wholesale from the (excellent) MFC Podcast interview @AndyRoss did with Lasley that went out last week. Listen to it here.

The only mention of future interest from Celtic is a sentence tagged on at the end that gives them a clickbait.

It's hardly Machiavelli at work; Celtic were willing to shell out £3m+ for him in the summer it's not a massive leap to think there won't still be interest in him at some level and as @Desp says it's pretty naive to think that MFC won't be on board with it.

Edited by capt_oats

Guest superward
1 hour ago, Desp said:

If you think the board at MFC aren't fully behind this tactic then I'd suggest you're being somewhat naïve. 

Oh dont get me wrong. I'm not suggesting dark acts at work here by the agency. It works for everyone and coincides with his return to the training pitch. What I'm saying is it is no coincidence.

Guest superward
1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Not really.

The Sun article is lifted wholesale from the (excellent) MFC Podcast interview @AndyRoss did with Lasley that went out last week. Listen to it here.

The only mention of future interest from Celtic is a sentence tagged on at the end that gives them a clickbait.

It's hardly Machiavelli at work; Celtic were willing to shell out £3m+ for him in the summer it's not a massive leap to think there won't still be interest in him at some level and as @Desp says it's pretty naive to think that MFC won't be on board with it.

No naivety here fellas...

To be honest, I wasnt really referring to the Sun article on it's own only and I've listened to the podcast, cheers. 

More the sudden burst of internet articles/ stories about Celtic reigniting their interest. All originally 'sourced' from Football Insider making their way to the blogs and opinion pieces online.

Great use of the modern snowball effect of the internet and socials. Suddenly it's a story and nicely timed as DT returns to some light running up the training ground.

Edited by superward

15 minutes ago, superward said:

No naivety here fellas...

To be honest, I wasnt really referring to the Sun article on it's own only and I've listened to the podcast, cheers. 

More the sudden burst of internet articles/ stories about Celtic reigniting their interest. All originally 'sourced' from Football Insider making their way to the blogs and opinion pieces online.

Great use of the modern snowball effect of the internet and socials. Suddenly it's a story and nicely timed as DT returns to some light running up the training ground.

I honestly hadn't seen that Football Insider article. Apologies if it seemed like a pile on straight after @Desp's post.

It's just incredibly lazy, as far as I'm aware the journalist in question has spoken to Keith in the last week, but the quotes in the Sun were word for word what he said on the podcast and lifted without any credit as to the source.

I think we've got to be realistic that Turnbull will move on fairly quickly, but it'll be interesting to see if Celtic hold out for a bit to have a look at the effect the injury has had on their potential investment. 

16 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

I think we've got to be realistic that Turnbull will move on fairly quickly, but it'll be interesting to see if Celtic hold out for a bit to have a look at the effect the injury has had on their potential investment. 

They'd be mad not to. Even if they've been kept appraised throughout his recovery, nobody knows how it will or won't affect him until he's back playing games at full fitness.

4 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

Another day of tiresome Declan Gallagher stories in the press.

Today’s example is passed off a road to redemption tale when in actual fact that’s not something that Stephen Craigan has mentioned whatsoever, it’s just a pretty poor attempt at spinning the story.

Whether you believe it’s right or wrong, people are going to dig up Declan’s past from time to time, but I don’t think anyone is trying to suggest his good performance on a football pitch is eradicating that, albeit with exception of one Daily Record journalist.

I find the suggestion that he’s somehow flaunting his crime by playing football a bit absurd really. Surely he has the right to get on with his life and the fact he’s doing well in his profession is a positive?

In addition to all of this, it all started up again with a shambles of a story in the Sun over the weekend where they ‘spoke’ to a friend of the victim. I can only speculate, but you’ve got to feel for the victim having what clearly was a horrendous event dragged out in public six years on?

This won’t be one that everyone agrees on, but I think the way the stories are being presented is miles out.

It's a Scottish media thing

Someone in the public eye getting on with his life being brought back down to earth by some hack dragging up something murky from the past. 

There's big Declan.

"The manager, he's done a lot for me. When I met him he said "I can make you a better player and I can make you a better defender". I'd never heard anybody say that to me before and he's done exactly that."

Edited by capt_oats