Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Decent results for us today with Kilmarnock drawing and County (depending on whether our ambitions are 3rd spot or the more realistic top six). Hopefully the Edinburgh sides' wins were more manager sacking bounces rather than signs they're getting their acts together.

I know it sounds negative but any points we get tomorrow are an unexpected bonus.

If Hearts and Hibs start picking up points it will be because they are beating all the other teams below us, someone has to win those games (draws aside) 

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Yer standard Motherwell supporting mile outs on social media criticising Dec for not wearing a bit of paper on his top

I always forget how much people care about this, always surreal to drop into that bit of the internet.

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The last time I went Neil Lennon was caretaker manager and James Forrest scored on his debut :lol:

This was also the last time in was there (for a Celtic v Motherwell game, at least). 0-0 at half time, playing well, only to end up losing 4-0. Robbie Keane scored as well, I'm sure. 

I thought our approach to today's game was pretty positive, played on the counter well and created a few half chances. 

The second goal came at a time where we looked to be really in the game, but even then I've seen times where the roof has come in after they score at a crucial time - that rarely looked likely to happen.

We've come through two visits to Glasgow unscathed and won the two home matches, fairly optimistic going into the festive run of fixtures. 

15 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Yer standard Motherwell supporting mile outs on social media criticising Dec for not wearing a bit of paper on his top

Post the article that's come out this morning explaining its simply because the poppy fell off.

Post the article that's come out this morning explaining its simply because the poppy fell off.
They weren't buying that, even when presented with photos of him previously wearing poppies because they are indeed, mile oots.

9 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

We've come through two visits to Glasgow unscathed and won the two home matches, fairly optimistic going into the festive run of fixtures. 

It’d certainly be nice to get through them this year without an injury crisis and a run of form leading to calls for the manager to be sacked. 

Although to be fair, they’re shouldn’t really be an injury crisis this time. If anything, I’d say the squad could perhaps do with a bit of trimming come January?

Obviously decisions will have to be made on Mugabi and Cole. O’Hara’s loan hasn’t exactly worked for either party. Then there’s guys like Ilic and Sloth who are seemingly ‘fit’ but struggling to even make the bench.  With returns for Dunne and hopefully Turnbull on the horizon, surely some folk are going to have to be shifted. 

Overall though, we look in pretty decent shape and you’ve got to be delighted with how the seasons gone so far- Hearts cup game aside. Sitting 4 points clear in 4th and 9 points ahead of 7th with a third of the season gone has certainly surpassed my expectations. 

Yep - as things stand, we are miles ahead of my expectations at this point in the season. The fact that we've got Ibrox and Parkhead out the way within the space of a couple of weeks and are still comfortably in 4th place (and in touch with 3rd) should be a big confidence boost. I think the fact that Robinson has shown a lot of flexibility in his tactics this season makes me confident that we won't soon be "worked out" in the normal way that happens in our league when a team does well early on.

The biggest challenges for us until the winter break are likely to be stuff outwith our control. Firstly, it's likely that other teams (especially Hearts and Hibs) will be better than they were in the first cycle of games and my expectation is that they will start to eat into the big gap between us. Secondly, there is a possibility at least that Robinson could be offski and that is the biggest risk of all.

In terms of the squad -I'm already wondering if a Mugabi/Gallacher partnership might be a good first choice going forward, regardless of how good Hartley has been since he came back in - and so I'd hope he could be kept on in January. Cole looks like he's developing and I like what I see but I still wonder if a more proven striker could be the catalyst to a properly good season in a team that creates hunners of chances.