Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I bussed it to Dortmund as I was way too skint to fly and that away game was probably as good as I've ever seen us play (considering the actual world-classness of Dortmund). I've got the full 90 mins of that game with German commentary somewhere and there is no way to tell that there was a huge gulf between the teams. 

Supporting Motherwell is obviously one long string of "what-if's" and regrets - but that team should really have won something before it was broken up - especially given how pish Celtic were at the time.....

3 hours ago, Swello said:

I bussed it to Dortmund as I was way too skint to fly and that away game was probably as good as I've ever seen us play (considering the actual world-classness of Dortmund). I've got the full 90 mins of that game with German commentary somewhere and there is no way to tell that there was a huge gulf between the teams. 

Supporting Motherwell is obviously one long string of "what-if's" and regrets - but that team should really have won something before it was broken up - especially given how pish Celtic were at the time.....

I used to live there and went back to visit my mates and watch the game.  Before the match, my mates were telling me about how many BVB were going to put past us.  After the match they could not speak highly enough of our team.

Was my favourite ever international game

4 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Photos of footballers from basically any year before 2000 always make me laugh. I know styles change etc but surely your average mid to late 20s guy in 1994 didn't walk around looking like this?

ENd91nOWoAMMncw.jpg.4a35705ddad039211a33c7a53958dc0a.jpg

There was nothing average about Rab Shannon

On 02/01/2020 at 11:24, capt_oats said:

So that's Cadden apparently been recalled by Columbus Crew. Oxford just put out an official confirmation this morning.

The quote from the Oxford manager though...fucking.hell.

If they wanted to keep him why didn’t they buy him from us (or compensate us)

43 minutes ago, ropy said:

If they wanted to keep him why didn’t they buy him from us (or compensate us)

I've seen loads of people on Motherwell Twitter really confused by this and I'm not sure why as it's quite straightforward.

Oxford apparently agreed compensation with Motherwell. Cadden chose to sign for Columbus Crew instead.

“We’ve made a bid and it has been accepted,” said the U’s boss.

“I’ve spoken to the player twice, we’d love to bring him in.

“There’s three other clubs and we’ve just got to wait and see which one he decides to choose and that’s where we’re at right now.

“The fact is he’s a free transfer, it’s compensation.

“We’ve met the compensation laws and we’ve not commented on anything, so this is everybody else speaking about it."

Link

Clearly it looks pretty shady but the part that a lot of people seem to be having difficulty with is that it was Cadden and his rep who had the leverage and final say. Not Motherwell (as he was out of contract) or Oxford.

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The Christopher Columbus drama rages on

Actually wild that Cadden has turned out to be far more drama than Hastie. By all accounts we settled amicably with Rangers and ended up with a decent wedge of cash and a sell on (considering he can't even get into Rotherham's starting XI at the moment).

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Actually wild that Cadden has turned out to be far more drama than Hastie. By all accounts we settled amicably with Rangers and ended up with a decent wedge of cash and a sell on (considering he can't even get into Rotherham's starting XI at the moment).

giphy.gif

Aye, for a pretty (imo) run of the mill Scottish Premiership player the boy has caused some amount of hassle.

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I've seen loads of people on Motherwell Twitter really confused by this and I'm not sure why as it's quite straightforward.

Oxford apparently agreed compensation with Motherwell. Cadden chose to sign for Columbus Crew instead.

Clearly it looks pretty shady but the part that a lot of people seem to be having difficulty with is that it was Cadden and his rep who had the leverage and final say. Not Motherwell (as he was out of contract) or Oxford.

I had not picked up on the fact that compensation had been agreed, I thought that they had been stalling on it.

BBC website this morning;

Oxford United manager Karl Robinson hopes to conclude the £1m signing of former Motherwell midfielder Chris Cadden after the 23-year-old impressed as a right-back on loan from Columbus Crew. (Scottish Sun, print edition)

:lol:

What?!?

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

BBC website this morning;

:lol:

What?!?

I'm lost with this I have to say - but - if he does sign for Oxford from Columbus/MLS, does that mean in theory that we are due training compensation from both clubs or is Cadden too old now?

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I'm lost with this I have to say - but - if he does sign for Oxford from Columbus/MLS, does that mean in theory that we are due training compensation from both clubs or is Cadden too old now?

Sort of. IIRC there are two separate forms of payment. You've got the training/development fee which would be the one off that's currently in dispute between Motherwell & Columbus.

There's also a solidarity payment which sees a small % of transfers 'trickle down' to the training club - Link

You'll see in the 2nd screen shot that the solidarity payment is "not including training compensation".

So for arguments sake if he moves to Oxford from Columbus for £1m we'd be due 5% of that - on top of whatever the resolution is on the disputed training compensation.

1791190869_ScreenShot2020-01-06at12_04_41.png.9704175b6ba20d6e94bbc34fa8e983a2.png

447922309_ScreenShot2020-01-06at12_06_24.png.bbc9ff3fa162ecd242f6ae2942fd13da.png

Also, sticking this in here in non-Cadden related news, that's Wigan's manager saying that Cole's got no future at the club and he's out the door.

Cook says Cole, who hasn’t started a game for Latics since joining from Fleetwood for a modest fee in January 2018, won’t be staying long.

“He won’t be coming back on board here, no,” revealed the Latics boss.

“Devante’s future is not with the club.

“His contract’s up in the summer, he’s been out on loan, and the reality is it’ll be Devante’s choice in general.

“But there’ll be no playing time for him at Wigan Athletic.”

Cole scored four goals during his 21 appearances for Motherwell.

Link

And in related news he's been removed from the first team list on the MFC official site.

Edited by capt_oats

Is anything making any sense anymore ?

Cole gets recalled to Wigan for what ? Has another team offered to pay more of his wages for remainder of the season ? Or did we really want him to stay on ? Seems bizarre. Not overly bothered myself but that would depend on who comes in.

As for the Cadden situation. Will Columbus accept an offer from Oxford without him playing one match for them. If they did you would have to hope they would decide to stop dicking us about and pay up. More twists and turns than A soap opera this one. 

My guess with Cole is that Wigan want him off their wage bill entirely.

We were perhaps paying half his wages, but couldn't afford or didn't see the value in paying his full wages and were they to allow him to leave on a free, he wouldn't accept the wage cut that would come with joining us without getting a decent severance package.