Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

'Flow seemed quite upbeat at the AGM that Turnbull would re-sign, which I was a bit surprised about. I would have assumed that an agent would advise him to run his contract down to make him attractive to more clubs (but I might just have a bad view of agents)...

Think your view of agents is spot on. If I remember correctly Turnbull’s agents didn’t want him to sign his new deal last year but it was Turnbull himself that said he was staying.

I think this is exactly the same Turnbull will be driving this, the agent will know that with one year on his deal he will be more attractive to teams as we may be desperate to get something for him but a player with 2-3 years left is going to cost more.

It's only sort of struck me recently that it's the winter break and essentially all we have to do to secure Europe is not be 12 points worse than Hibs and hope nothing mental happens in the cup.  It still feels like we're in the early stage of the season where we might possibly maybe be able to do something but in reality the odds are looking pretty decent for continental football.

I do think we're probably due a run of bad form - could very well materialise in our next 4 league games (Aberdeen, Hibs, Livi, Celtic)-  which could blow things wide open but fucking hell we're in a good position right now. 

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I do think we're probably due a run of bad form - could very well materialise in our next 4 league games (Aberdeen, Hibs, Livi, Celtic)-  which could blow things wide open but fucking hell we're in a good position right now. 

I know it's greedy and unrealistic, but I'd be an awful lot more on board this particular train if we'd just beaten the fucking Accies last time out. Was that really SO much to ask?

19 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I know it's greedy and unrealistic, but I'd be an awful lot more on board this particular train if we'd just beaten the fucking Accies last time out. Was that really SO much to ask?

Dunno man, we seem to chuck in a ludicrously frustrating loss to Accies every season at this point. It is what it is.

42 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Dunno man, we seem to chuck in a ludicrously frustrating loss to Accies every season at this point. It is what it is.

We're long overdue for scudding three past Aberdeen, which would more than put the icing on the cake of our otherwise excellent December. I suppose I could live with that compromise.

It's only sort of struck me recently that it's the winter break and essentially all we have to do to secure Europe is not be 12 points worse than Hibs and hope nothing mental happens in the cup.  It still feels like we're in the early stage of the season where we might possibly maybe be able to do something but in reality the odds are looking pretty decent for continental football.
More short term but we just need to be better than 14 points worse than Kilmarnock over the next 12 games to secure a top 6 place. Unless we collapse we should hopefully manage this with 3 or 4 games to spare.

1 hour ago, gav-ffc said:

Little chatter of a Motherwell centre half coming on loan to us which makes sense with the Lee Miller connections, any idea who it could be?

The squad are away in Tenerife for a training camp and looking at the list of players who are out there David Devine's notable by his absence (unless he's injured). Wouldn't be a huge surprise if it's him.

He's in the "highly rated" bracket, made his first team debut at the end of last season and signed a new extended deal in the summer. I'd imagine Miller will know him from the Academy.

All the other centre backs are at the training camp - Hartley, Gallagher, Dunne, Mugabi, Maguire (though we're still trying to make him happen as a holding mid) and Hussain.

Also, I missed the Carson news this afternoon due to work stuff but it's a cracking bit of news. Smashing.

Interesting to hear him say in the wee announcement video that he'd spoken to a couple of other clubs before committing. 2022 is a bit longer than I expected as well.

Some boi.

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The squad are away in Tenerife for a training camp and looking at the list of players who are out there David Devine's notable by his absence (unless he's injured). Wouldn't be a huge surprise if it's him.

He's in the "highly rated" bracket, made his first team debut at the end of last season and signed a new extended deal in the summer. I'd imagine Miller will know him from the Academy.

All the other centre backs are at the training camp - Hartley, Gallagher, Dunne, Mugabi, Maguire (though we're still trying to make him happen as a holding mid) and Hussain.

Also, I missed the Carson news this afternoon due to work stuff but it's a cracking bit of news. Interesting to hear him say in the wee announcement video that he'd spoken to a couple of other clubs before committing. 2022 is a bit longer than I expected as well.

Some boi.

Devine makes sense with miller taking the under 16s with you guys a few year ago and him now being 18.

Only realised hussain was with you guys too, mind seeing him in a few development games years back and at 16 could tell if he filled out a little there’s a player there. 

27 minutes ago, Dele said:

How true is that 'PriceofFootball' account on Twitter? 

He's posted you are running at wages 87% of revenue?

Is it that Kieran Maguire?

He just reads club accounts and lays it out in simple terms I think. No guesswork or presumptions.

31 minutes ago, Dele said:

Average wage of £1,850 for first team players too. That seems massive.

Here's the thread if anyone's interested. A loss of just under £700k, would've been £1.5m if not for player sales, is quite staggering on the face of it.

Edited by Kyle

Just now, RostokMcSpoons said:

A drop in gate receipts of £1.35M, broadcasting rights dropped by £450K, and prize money down by £600K. 

Ouch.

That's basically all explainable by the drop from 17/18 where you had the 2 cup finals.

1 hour ago, Dele said:

He’s brilliant and recommend the podcast the price of football.

Appears it’s not Devine we are signing as we have just signed Ben Hall.

23 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

That's basically all explainable by the drop from 17/18 where you had the 2 cup finals.

^^^ Pretty much this.

You frame the loss this year (£435,970) in context of the previous year profit of £1,720,635. We've spent some of the profit we made basically.

Someone who was at the AGM may be able to shed a bit of light on the 87% wages/turnover conversation as I believe there was someone on the floor who was very concerned about it.

Mo Ross had been talking in his interview on the MFC Podcast last summer about how his budget had been cut a fair bit and I think it was mentioned again in his interview with Graham Spiers so I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of reducing the ratio. Though that's just me guessing.

4 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

He’s brilliant and recommend the podcast the price of football.

Appears it’s not Devine we are signing as we have just signed Ben Hall.

Ah...it's a former Motherwell centre half.

Edited by capt_oats

The jist of the turnover/wages ratio was indeed that we were spending some of the unusual profits from the year before as @capt_oats says.  The massive drop in TV and gate receipts is the simple consequence of not getting to two cup finals, which was clearly a (very enjoyable) aberration.

IIRC, the rationale given at the AGM was that our wage budget was falling behind almost everyone in the league and basically getting relegated now was a massive risk given that imminent changes to TV money and a restructure of european competition to include a 3rd tournament were going to make a big difference to a club like us. It's also worth pointing out that we will apparently be break even at worst in the next set of accounts even without additional player sales - so that puts it in some context.