Scottish Cup 2016/17

mrman2011

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

And most of that was in Euros!

Apparently Edusport had a few non French guys in their line up including Ryan McCann who once scored an 80 yard or so goal for QOS v Dundee a few years back.

No idea who made up the crowd he said there were a couple of Colville fans and some groundhoppers. Can't imagine Edusport having any fans.

1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

Apparently Edusport had a few non French guys in their line up including Ryan McCann who once scored an 80 yard or so goal for QOS v Dundee a few years back.

Was with Pollok in recent memory too, though mine fails as to how recent.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I didn't expect any Edusport support to speak of, and I'm impressed any neutrals went, but I assumed that Colville would take a following. Do they not represent a town/village/estate?

They're named after and play at a country club in Motherwell.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I didn't expect any Edusport support to speak of, and I'm impressed any neutrals went, but I assumed that Colville would take a following. Do they not represent a town/village/estate?

Think its just part of Motherwell HJ. As I said my mate said there were a few folk supporting them sitting next to their committee. Can only think the other folk there were curious locals who don't go to Annan away games.

8 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Fair enough, visions of Dynasty with the smog of steelworks silhouetted on the horizon.

I'm impressed they recruit such players to be best Amateurs in Scotland. What's the incentive?

Free round of golf on a sunday?

Despite the lack of being able to play Edusport there next week, they have their own ground at the club and seem quite stable. Pollok had a bit of a connection to them for a while - their manager Gerry Hamilton played for Lok and left our coaching staff to take over there. Another ex-Lok manager Rab Sneddon lives nearby and helped out with coaching. Maybe still does? They then allowed Lok to use their players when we were down on numbers. We have a couple of ex-CP players in our starting XI and they did or have a few ex-players of ours with them. Once you get a decent core, I suppose you can attract other decent players - success breeding success. They're always there or there abouts in Central Scottish Premier and the big cups.

Steve Broughton groundhopped there a few years back:

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/invac-v-kilpatrick-thistle-at-colville.html

4059.jpg

18 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Fair enough, visions of Dynasty with the smog of steelworks silhouetted on the horizon.

I'm impressed they recruit such players to be best Amateurs in Scotland. What's the incentive?

I suppose their in a well populated area and there will be plenty of guys who have dropped out of the seniors and juniors in the area. 

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

No idea who made up the crowd he said there were a couple of Colville fans and some groundhoppers. Can't imagine Edusport having any fans.

Was the match at Galabank?

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Was with Pollok in recent memory too, though mine fails as to how recent.

I wrote about him being with 'Lok in the Thistle programme from 2013-14.

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

The obvious 'game of the day' to me, so well worth my long day return train trek from Aberdeenshire. I'd expected it to attract many more such football neutrals, but there were seemingly just the three of us.

Edusport's ONLY support was three unselected players - French lads in sharp suits.

One guy scribbling pages of notes was a Girvan Juniors rep - the opponent's in the next round.

I took the rest of the 'crowd' to have come down to support the visitors. I doubt there were any Annan residents present. When I was asked in the local pub where I was going, nobody had even heard of Edusport, nor knew that anybody other than Annan Athletic play at Galabank.

Colville Park should really have wrapped it up. I make them strong favourites for the replay at New Tinto, which I will also attend.

Note that if they do win, they'll have to receive Girvan elsewhere - Benburb have got a Home fixture on 2nd Preliminary Round day (Saturday 3rd Sept).

1 hour ago, LeedsPhil said:

Note that if they do win, they'll have to receive Girvan elsewhere - Benburb have got a Home fixture on 2nd Preliminary Round day (Saturday 3rd Sept).

They could just play on the Sunday like Glasgow Uni did.

WOuld be good for Colville to get the game on somewhere in North Lanarkshire, be it Shotts, Wishaw or the like. What are the stadium criteria for the preliminaries these days? I went down to Newton Stewart's ground yesterday morning and the only thing that made their ground not a caged off artificial surface that you'd see anywhere was the green material on the fence to prevent free views, a burger van outside and two portaloos.

Archived