Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

3 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

He can claim what he likes but nobody else (aside from you) is going to buy it!

I didn't say I bought it, one of my heros is Duran.

f**k that fans???? They only have wealth because the fans pay the money to see them.

Yep and Ward has chosen to have less wealth rather than fight 3 or 4 nobodies every year.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Thats all well and good if you prefer that path, but thats not sport you are talking about there. As long as you realise that.

OK, it's only sport if you're getting 7 shades of shit knocked out of you.

You talk like these guys have been forced into something and your only hope is that they get out safe and sound.

Most of those ending up with severe damage wouldn't change a thing, they are for the most part brave warriors who loved boxing.
Why do you care what they earn? I have always found that a strange quirk of boxing fans, they want to know what the purse is, they have an opinion on what the split should be, who sells more PPV etc.

I dont care what they earn anymore than I care what any of the Falkirk players earn

I don't care what they earn, I care that they earn what they can in as safe a manner as possible.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I can see the consequences of boxing within my own family,  

The last 6 years he has had 1.5 fights per year on average. That's justifiable if you're a superstar who has already made his name and you come back and fight the likes of canelo, Maidana and Pacquiao.
Not when you're coming back to fight the likes of Paul smith, Edwin Rodriguez and Barrera or last nights dumpling.

6 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Then when he has fought it's been far too many nobodies like that Colombian version of Yousef al Hamidi last night (don't care what his record was he was in survival mode from the first bell).

His %age of diddy opponents probably doesn't differ drastically from your average champion.

As safe a manner as possible is not boxing. Boxing is inherently dangerous. Always will be and always should be.

Who mentioned as safe a manner as possible, I understand totally how dangerous boxing is that's why I'm all for the pretty boys learning how to skillfully evade the big punches.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Where did I say its only sport if you are getting 7 shades knocked out of you? Thats a pretty foolish reaction to what I said. My arguement is simply that I expect the best to fight the best.

Of course I can and do vote with my wallet by not paying for fights I dont deem worth the money. But you are ok with fighters shirking the best fights in favour of least risk/most reward fights. Im not. Its pretty much that simple. Your arguement is about 1 step away from the folk who howl for boxing to be banned each time someone gets hurt.

What a load of shite, I've watched boxing since I was a toddler, witnessed some magical but brutal fights over the years, the only fights I don't like to see are the ones where your Ali's and Hatton's are quite clearly slurring words, the slurring is quite obviously down to some sort of brain injury yet governing bodies allowed them to fight.

Who has ward actually ducked though. Is there that many fighters in his weight that he should proving himself against ? I don't think so.
He's took a fight a weight above against an absolute destroyer and I think he'll win fairly comfortably.

I dont think Ward has neccesarily ducked anyone. He just sat on his arse and let fights pass him by. He can also be accused of being a homer due to barely having left Oakland in his pro career.

I dont think for one second he fears anyone, I just think he had a tendency to overvalue himself and it cost him.
That's up to him though. He hasn't ducked anyone and will most likely outpoint Kov. I really don't see the problem in him not fighting an extra couple of diddies every year.

Ward fought every single top fighter in the 168 division and schooled them all. He's taken three tune-up fights to get used to a new weight - as almost every boxer should when moving up - and is now away to fight the best in the division, a huge punching monster.

Ward was inactive due to a contract issue, and then a shoulder injury, nothing to do with laziness as he practically lives in the gym from what I've read. Froch had 35 fights in his whole career, Ward has already had 30. Who hasn't he fought so far that he should have?

Anyone that thinks Ward won't go down as one of the finest of his generation is a fucking moron. Buzzing for November.

The last time Ward fought the best in his division was 2011. Thats a fact. He has fought 1 name since then. Also a fact.

So you can't name the boxer(s) he should have fought and hasn't then? As expected.

He cleared out 168. Schooled the absolute elite in that division. Think Froch wanted to fight him again? Abraham? Kessler before he retired? Nope, not a fucking chance, they wanted nothing to do with him again because he was levels above them and they knew it.

1 minute ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Nobody is saying he's shit or ducked folk but he could and should have been much busier and could have fought a higher standard of opposition when he did fight instead of some of the utter pish he's fought.

Mibbee the Super Six took a lot more out of the boxers than you and others appreciate, 5 big fights in that timescale isn't the norm in boxing.