Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

22 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

I'd rather belts were farmed out to other fights as I've said before. Most heavyweight belts were held hostage for nearly a decade let's get more title fights and some unification ones in the future. Wlad should just fight AJ for IBF

Massively disagree. The whole point of having world champions is to find out who the best in the division is. Splitting up the belts might gain extra revenue for the governing bodies, but it does nothing for the credibility of the division. Are bums like Charles Martin being former world champions good for the sport? Not in my opinion.

Wlad didn't 'hold the belts hostage' either, he won them fair and square and then soundly beat every challenger he had in fights for the unified world heavyweight title because he was the best. Eventually someone beat him, but Fury has relinquished the belts, so it's only fair that Wlad should be first in line at a shot at all of them having not had a rematch yet, and it should be in his next fight, be that against Joshua, Wilder or whomever.     

Hold hostage probably wrong way to say it. But as you say he won them all fair and square. But Fury won one fight and claimed them all. That's where I'm coming from. I agree the best in the division should hoover them all up. Maybe as a poster said earlier some kind of tournament like super middleweight had would be better.

20 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Hold hostage probably wrong way to say it. But as you say he won them all fair and square. But Fury won one fight and claimed them all. That's where I'm coming from. I agree the best in the division should hoover them all up. Maybe as a poster said earlier some kind of tournament like super middleweight had would be better.

It's massively over simplistic to say Fury won one fight and won all the belts. Fury worked his way in to the mandatory position to challenge the undisputed world champion, who'd been undefeated in a decade and had beaten every challenger placed before him, and then proceeded to comfortably beat him. He outclassed him on the night, and proved that he was more than worthy of being described as the best Heavyweight in the world.

Splitting belts doesn't encourage mega-fights, it hinders them. Look at Kovalev v Stevenson for example. Do you think they'd have fought by now if there was just one single title / titleholder in the Light Heavyweight division and the other had to challenge for it? I certainly do, but with the way it is currently, both can legitimately call themselves world champions and therefore don't need the other, or the risk involved in losing that fight. Multiple world champions isn't conducive to the best fighting the best.

The proliferation of belts means you can get someone winning 1/5 titles and then proclaiming themselves champion and avoiding credible threats.
If one person holds them all then there is no messing about- everyone knows who the main man is and nobody can pretend it's them.

Very true but they aren't one governing body. So as long as you have a belt for one of the them you're a world champ. Bring over Dana white or Vince to sort this out. The crazy world of boxing has always been the same. Then we get super champs [emoji23]

17 hours ago, paisleysaints said:

What you're describing is the role of a lineal champion and being the man who beat the man. It's one of the few benchmarks we have to identify the best fighter in each division.

1 hour ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

What you're describing is the role of a lineal champion and being the man who beat the man. It's one of the few benchmarks we have to identify the best fighter in each division.

Look i'm not disagreeing or arguing any of these facts its was my personal opinion that i wouldn't like Wlad and AJ fighting for all available belts.  I'd rather others fought for them then and some unification fights down the line.  I'm well aware some bums may get a hold of these belts.  But it may add slightly more excitement to the division with the big hitters all claiming to be the best.

What do we think Haye could be announcing today apparently

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10623344/david-haye-promises-to-make-big-announcement-about-future-plans

Edited by paisleysaints

41 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Look i'm not disagreeing or arguing any of these facts its was my personal opinion that i wouldn't like Wlad and AJ fighting for all available belts.  I'd rather others fought for them then and some unification fights down the line.  I'm well aware some bums may get a hold of these belts.  But it may add slightly more excitement to the division with the big hitters all claiming to be the best.

What do we think Haye could be announcing today apparently

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10623344/david-haye-promises-to-make-big-announcement-about-future-plans

But there's far more chance of these big fights if AJ/Wlad had all the belts (minus the WBC) and people had to fight them to have a chance of calling themselves world champion

Belts being stripped led to Charles Martin, the worst heavyweight champion in history, to win a title fight without throwing a punch. Get them all online and let the best fight it out, winner faces the next guy in the queue.

Something strange about the timing of the Haye announcement, I joked with a mate last night saying would he try and highjack Wlad from AJ, with them all naming the 10th as fight date, surely not.......

8 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Belts being stripped led to Charles Martin, the worst heavyweight champion in history, to win a title without throwing a punch. Get them all online and let the best fight it out, winner faces the next guy in the queue.

Something strange about the timing of the Haye announcement, I joked with a mate last night saying would he try and highjack Wlad from AJ, with them all naming the 10th as fight date, surely not.......

Clearly in a minority of one here.  in saying the Fury/Wlad wasnt exactly the greatest heavweight fight of all time was it.  lead to one of the greatest melt downs ever :)  put it to bed we agree and disagree

Could you imagine Haye/Wlad just for the sheer rage it would give Hearn lol

Just now, paisleysaints said:

Clearly in a minority of one here.  in saying the Fury/Wlad wasnt exactly the greatest heavweight fight of all time was it.  lead to one of the greatest melt downs ever :)  put it to bed we agree and disagree

Could you imagine Haye/Wlad just for the sheer rage it would give Hearn lol

Don't have to imagine it, it already happened and Wlad pissed it for 12 rounds making Haye look like a complete jobber.

Wouldn't be adverse to seeing Haye embarrassed again to be honest.