Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Just watched the full fight, thought GGG had it by 2 or 3 rounds like most on here. Would liked to have seen him mix his shots up more as a means to opening Canelo's defence up.

Will Canelo fight a different way in the rematch? Can't see him getting that lucky on the cards again.

35 minutes ago, sjc said:

Just watched the full fight, thought GGG had it by 2 or 3 rounds like most on here. Would liked to have seen him mix his shots up more as a means to opening Canelo's defence up.

Will Canelo fight a different way in the rematch? Can't see him getting that lucky on the cards again.

I think that's being unfair on Canelo, he was unfortunate that the judge gave him a couple of rounds that were undeserved, he's in there with the guy that's supposedly going to knock him into next week and gets booed for the size of the gap on one card, I honestly didn't think that GGG landed much in the 1st 6 rounds apart from round 4, Alvarez landed far more good punches in those rounds and showed great defensive skills that don't receive much credit.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

I think that's being unfair on Canelo, he was unfortunate that the judge gave him a couple of rounds that were undeserved, he's in there with the guy that's supposedly going to knock him into next week and gets booed for the size of the gap on one card, I honestly didn't think that GGG landed much in the 1st 6 rounds apart from round 4, Alvarez landed far more good punches in those rounds and showed great defensive skills that don't receive much credit.

I wasn't slagging off Canelo as I like him as a boxer. I just don't think he was busy enough. Your point about GGG not landing much himself is why I stated I wanted him to mix his shots up more i.e body shots and uppercuts.

I agree Canelo showed great defensive skills but that should't be enough to win the fight imo.

7 minutes ago, sjc said:

I wasn't slagging off Canelo as I like him as a boxer. I just don't think he was busy enough. Your point about GGG not landing much himself is why I stated I wanted him to mix his shots up more i.e body shots and uppercuts.

I agree Canelo showed great defensive skills but that should't be enough to win the fight imo.

I've already stated that he wasn't busy enough in some of the early rounds but I can understand him thinking he won them, he was making GGG miss with the vast majority and he was landing the better quality punches in most of those rounds, he should have made sure of the rounds when they were cheap to get.

17 minutes ago, kiddy said:

#perplexing

Almost everytime I've got a look at the cards a judge gives a round to the clear loser of that round, It cost Lewis victory against Holyfield among others.

I really don't understand why judges aren't carpeted when they've quite clearly given a round to the wrong boxer.

I had GGG winning 116-112.
I had Canelo winning 1,2,10 (generous) and 11. Rounds 8 and 9 were closeish so I don't think calling it a draw was corruption but Byrd's scorecard was disgusting.

HBO are in on it as well, that arrogant scumbag Kellerman was trying to con the public by pretending the decision was fair.

The crowd know what they witnessed.

Just rewatched it with fresh, non-exhausted eyes, first and foremost it was a fucking brilliant fight, phenomenal stuff. Two tremendous, world class boxers, two of the absolute elite, with unbelievable chins and dovetailing skill sets. Would be absolutely delighted to see a 3/5 fight series between the two Pac/Marquez esque.

However, still just cannot make a case for anything other than a GGG win there. Still had it by three, with Canelo taking 1, 2, 11 and 12 (maybe slightly generous) and a share of 10 (couldn't split them, sensational round), but just not doing enough to take any of the rest of them as although he probably did the flashier work, he couldn't physically sustain it as the pace GGG was forcing was just too high for him. Golovkin's jab was outstanding from the 3rd onwards as well, he pressured and stalked constantly, and he may have the best chin in boxing. The uppercut in the 8th and right hook in the 9th might have killed most folk, let alone knocked them down...he didn't even budge. Incredible.

Someone said above that the judge that scored the draw gave the 7th to Canelo? That's almost as bad as the 118-110 in itself. It was the clearest round of the fight by fucking miles for GGG. There really does need to be a mechanism put in place whereby judges are scrutinised publicly, if not sanctioned for shite like Bryd's card too. It's obviously subjective, but that's outrageous and really does need to be looked in to as not only does it open up the sport to ridicule, but corruption allegations too, which does nobody any good. She should never be near a ring again.

I normally really like Max Kellerman as he generally isn't afraid to ask the uncomfortable questions of fighters, but i thought it was clear he'd been told not to mention the cards by his producers which is shite on the part of HBO and him for accepting it, a largely Mexican crowd booing Canelo during his first question said it all.

A good night of boxing and sensational fight, but still left with a bad taste in the mouth and overshadowed by shambolic judging. Classic big time boxing. Looking forward to the rematch.

2 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

The only fighter you could make a case for an 118-110 card is GGG.

Nah, that was not a 118-110 fight in a million years regardless of how you scored it.

1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Only rounds 1,2,10,11, and 12 did at least 2 of the judges give to Canelo which means at least 2 of the 3 gave GGG 3,4,5,6,7,8,9

112-115 would have been a fair result.

I think they should look into a new version of their scoring.