Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

4 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Both the fights I watched had full audio apart from commentary, it was brilliant.  Shame for Burnett thought he struggled a bit earlier in the fight, this back issue might be something more chronic, hope not.

I'm ready for a Prograis - Taylor fight.  That was one of the worst stoppages I can remember though. UK refs aren't doing us any favours when it comes to getting big name US fighters to come over here.

Having watched it back it's a ridiculous stoppage a blatant punch to the back of the head. Loughlin was also the judge to award Parker 117-112 on the undercard when Williams won the fight easily as Parker couldn't punch from early on in the fight.

It was on par with the Burns/Beltran robbery. A lot of made about decisions abroad but that's two of the worst I can remember and both in Glasgow.

Having watched it back it's a ridiculous stoppage a blatant punch to the back of the head. Loughlin was also the judge to award Parker 117-112 on the undercard when Williams won the fight easily as Parker couldn't punch from early on in the fight.
It was on par with the Burns/Beltran robbery. A lot of made about decisions abroad but that's two of the worst I can remember and both in Glasgow.
I thought he caught him round about the ear. Whilst he wasn't on the deck, he certainly wasn't in the position to "defend himself" &, as such, the ref had to step in to protect the fighter. Not the way you'd want to finish a fight, but IMO he took the right option, considering how the fight had proceeded.

9 hours ago, kiddy said:
9 hours ago, Neilly said:

I thought he caught him round about the ear. Whilst he wasn't on the deck, he certainly wasn't in the position to "defend himself" &, as such, the ref had to step in to protect the fighter. Not the way you'd want to finish a fight, but IMO he took the right option, considering how the fight had proceeded.

Don't think the ref expected Martin to get back up so quickly and when he did it looked like he was going to protest but instead just wanted to get past the ref to rush over and congratulate Josh. 

I know Josh said that was one of his easiest fights but it was because he'd put all of what he has learned into practice. Gave Martin nothing to aim at, hits so hard and accurate and then got way out of range. 

Don't think the ref expected Martin to get back up so quickly and when he did it looked like he was going to protest but instead just wanted to get past the ref to rush over and congratulate Josh. 
I know Josh said that was one of his easiest fights but it was because he'd put all of what he has learned into practice. Gave Martin nothing to aim at, hits so hard and accurate and then got way out of range. 
I love the way he generates his power. Its all through technique. No arsehole winders. Even although his powet isnt absolutely top level, what he has will carry up through the levels. He will hit hard enough to keep even the top guys respectful because he does it properly.

Guys who throw mega bombs to knock out the first few stiffs of their career come unstuck when they realise top guys can time them and stifle their big heavy shots.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I love the way he generates his power. Its all through technique. No arsehole winders. Even although his powet isnt absolutely top level, what he has will carry up through the levels. He will hit hard enough to keep even the top guys respectful because he does it properly.

Guys who throw mega bombs to knock out the first few stiffs of their career come unstuck when they realise top guys can time them and stifle their big heavy shots.

Him and his trainer are a good team. That Postol fight showed Josh that errors like losing concentration and loading up every shot would cost him but also showed him that with a bit of tweaking he'd have the skills to be really top class. 

Wilder looks to have changed his training a bit. He always claimed to never run/jog but is doing running and looking a bit beefier round the shoulders than usual. Has roped in someone he KO’d in the first round to move about like Fury. Fury has a lanky Italian with 0 fights as his Wilder target practice. 

If I was Wilder I’d forget all about the crazy right hand and instead jab and move. Everyone expects if Fury wins it will be by  shitfest. Wilder has a decent enough jab with a bit of weight behind it. 4/1 for him to win by decision might not be as mad as it first sounds. The decision to start running just might indicate that he plans to spend the fight on the run rather than windmilling. 

I like both fighters so really intrigued to see how this goes. Don’t think Fury would have taken it if he didn’t think he’d win. Is Wilder stupid enough to get schooled while spending the whole fight looking for the KO? Credit to both guys for making the fight anyway.

Recent videos  of (one of) Wilder’s lakeside house and car fleet must have had poor Eddie Hearn spewing. Always paints Wilder as this poor bum who shouldn’t dare to ask for an even money split to fight his golden boy. 

B8E2B8A3-44E7-4A2C-864A-9BB7C576C529.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

What a performance by Josh Taylor!

There wasn’t a second of that fight that he didn’t win. Straight from the bell he began breaking down Martin in a composed fashion. His timing and accuracy is absolutely world class and that’s the main reason he’ll beat Baranchyk who is powerful but has absolutely no defence or boxing skill. Also Taylor’s body punching is up there with the best in the world IMO. Only Spence, Jack and maybe Inoue you’d say are better in that aspect.

I appreciate Martin is probably a step down from Postol but I thought there was a clear improvement in performance from Taylor regardless. Baranchyk fight should be similarly one sided and I honestly cannot see Prograis doing anything to beat Taylor. Prograis edges Taylor out on one category only, natural power. However, Taylor’s power isn’t far behind due to the accuracy and technique of his punches. Taylor also blows him away in terms of everything else, boxing skill, accuracy, body punching, footwork etc and Prograis is not exactly hard to hit. The resume Taylor is building in such little fights is remarkable and we have a great fighter to get behind here.

Taylor's looking good right now. If he was signed to Matchroom he'd be taking on a 12-28-5 opponent next. Hell have no problems with Baranchyk he's raw and will be there to get hit all night long. The Prograis fight will be the making of him, I rate Prograis very highly and he's developed a weird awkward boxing style that'll give anyone problems as well as having natural power. Probably the fight I want to see the most outside of Wilder - Joshua, although Taylor's the only fighter I'm biased towards for obvious reasons. Have trained at Lochend ABC in the past. 

3 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

What a performance by Josh Taylor!

There wasn’t a second of that fight that he didn’t win. Straight from the bell he began breaking down Martin in a composed fashion. His timing and accuracy is absolutely world class and that’s the main reason he’ll beat Baranchyk who is powerful but has absolutely no defence or boxing skill. Also Taylor’s body punching is up there with the best in the world IMO. Only Spence, Jack and maybe Inoue you’d say are better in that aspect.

I appreciate Martin is probably a step down from Postol but I thought there was a clear improvement in performance from Taylor regardless. Baranchyk fight should be similarly one sided and I honestly cannot see Prograis doing anything to beat Taylor. Prograis edges Taylor out on one category only, natural power. However, Taylor’s power isn’t far behind due to the accuracy and technique of his punches. Taylor also blows him away in terms of everything else, boxing skill, accuracy, body punching, footwork etc and Prograis is not exactly hard to hit. The resume Taylor is building in such little fights is remarkable and we have a great fighter to get behind here.

Never watched the fight, glad to hear he fought well, having watched him against Postol a wee bit of me saw things that had me questioning my earlier assertion of him reaching elite level.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

Never watched the fight, glad to hear he fought well, having watched him against Postol a wee bit of me saw things that had me questioning my earlier assertion of him reaching elite level.

Such as?  I think he's an incredible fighter.  It was a shame only 6,000 bothered to show up at the hydro.  I hope his next fight is far better publicised.   We've a genuine superstar on our hands. 

2 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Such as?  I think he's an incredible fighter.  It was a shame only 6,000 bothered to show up at the hydro.  I hope his next fight is far better publicised.   We've a genuine superstar on our hands. 

I can't even remember and I don't think I put my thoughts on here, I also think he could be a genuine superstar not just a 2nd or 3rd rate world champion, I might just have been watching that fight looking for a full fight of elite boxing when he is in fact still learning his trade.

I'll probably need to go back and watch it again.

Edited by ayrmad

5 hours ago, LargsTON said:

I got free tickets pretty late in the week from someone who works at the Hydro through a mate so I wonder how many more got this just to bulk the crowd up? They were about 10 rows from ringside as well.

Regardless I think 6,000 was a really good effort considering how poorly this is advertised with no TV deal or channel to even promote it.

I'd say it's pretty likely the semi will be in Glasgow on the back of Kalle raving about Glasgow post fight.

Did I read somewhere that there was less than 1,000 at the Prograis/Flanagan card? Surely not.

15 hours ago, LargsTON said:

It was set up with a 6,000 capacity though and Sauerland the mad promoter lad thought they'd likely go for the whole venue if they came back for the next round. Might have a proper tv deal by then too. They had offers but nothing that matched what he was wanting. 

47 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Wilder starting running age 33 :lol:

Swimming was always his thing. He would do treadmill sprints or running up stairs but not jogging. 

I remember reading this a couple of years back.. I really like the bosu balance ball workouts with medicine balls or kettle bells. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/how-chiseled-heavyweight-champ-deontay-wilder-gets-into-crazy-shape/2015/08/25/1b26430e-45b4-11e5-846d-02792f854297_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.eae58efc1266