Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

16 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I'll be backing a Haney stoppage.  There were rumours on twitter all week that he was going to miss weight by a fair bit.  

Fair enough if you miss by ounces. But by over 3lbs, whilst downing beer on the scales!🤷‍♂️🫣

4 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Fair enough if you miss by ounces. But by over 3lbs, whilst downing beer on the scales!🤷‍♂️🫣

He's completely lost the plot, he's spent the last few months ranting about right wing conspiracy theories online.  The boy clearly needs help, but Oscar wont give a shit as long as he's bringing in the money.

Just now, MONKMAN said:

He's completely lost the plot, he's spent the last few months ranting about right wing conspiracy theories online.  The boy clearly needs help, but Oscar wont give a shit as long as he's bringing in the money.

I suppose the $1.5m won’t be coming out of Oscars pocket.

It was a weird spectacle all round. On a night where Charles Conwell was opening the show and knows all too well about the harsh reality of boxing, it sits even more horribly all the chat about killing and assassination that Garcia especially came out with in the build up. 

Whilst the narrative now will be that he is trolling, I'm unconvinced that he doesn't have difficulties still with his mental health and hope they are resolved soon. 

In hindsight, Haney had this coming a little. I thought he was very fortunate against Lomachenko to get the decision a totally shot Linares had him in big trouble. Fair play to him for taking the fight even though Garcia came in so far overweight, though I think all the concerns about Garcia pulling out influenced him on this. 

The Barboza decision on the undercard is one of the worst I've ever seen. 

Mad, because that was a fight of the year contender and should have encapsulated everything great about boxing but somehow, it still manages to leave a bit of a bad taste.

• 2 weeks later...

Garcia popped for PEDs and Canelo openly shouting homophobic slurs that go unchallenged by anyone on the stage or in the media. I love boxing but it's an absolute fucking shambles at times. 

14 minutes ago, JMDP said:

Garcia popped for PEDs and Canelo openly shouting homophobic slurs that go unchallenged by anyone on the stage or in the media. I love boxing but it's an absolute fucking shambles at times. 

Maybe I'm just getting older but I really can't stand all this stuff in boxing.  Every fight seems to be built up to some stupid grudge match and there's all the shit before in the build up.  It seems to be a lot worse than it used to be, although maybe that's just me.  Possibly social media makes it worse?

I haven't followed it all too closely but Garcia is clearly not healthy mentally and that can be something that PEDs contribute to.

Aye, I'm the exact same as you. I genuinely love the sport but it's tiresome. 

As I mentioned in another post, people applauding Garcia when he clearly isn't well. On the same card, Charles Conwell had a patch on his shorts about Pat Day and the absolute tragedy surrounding what happened there, yet no one called Garcia on any of his chat about wanting to kill Haney and wearing T shirts with RIP on it and stuff. 

The homophobia from Canelo last night isn't surprising. I think sport is improving a little on it but boxing is on the dark ages - imagine Modric screaming something homophobic at Tuchel before the game the other night and not a single person calling him on it. Garcia has also been saying homophobic stuff on his twitter today. 

Even when boxing is getting the best fighting the best, it still seems to find a way to be horrendous. 

3 minutes ago, JMDP said:

Aye, I'm the exact same as you. I genuinely love the sport but it's tiresome. 

As I mentioned in another post, people applauding Garcia when he clearly isn't well. On the same card, Charles Conwell had a patch on his shorts about Pat Day and the absolute tragedy surrounding what happened there, yet no one called Garcia on any of his chat about wanting to kill Haney and wearing T shirts with RIP on it and stuff. 

The homophobia from Canelo last night isn't surprising. I think sport is improving a little on it but boxing is on the dark ages - imagine Modric screaming something homophobic at Tuchel before the game the other night and not a single person calling him on it. Garcia has also been saying homophobic stuff on his twitter today. 

Even when boxing is getting the best fighting the best, it still seems to find a way to be horrendous. 

Its such a well worn path to PPV sales that its going nowhere. The UFC has also totally lost the run of itself. We now have reached the point where we have fighters openely acknowledging that there is no real beef, and they are just doing it to generate hype, and they seem to think that this gives them carte blanche to go even further than they probably would if the beef was legit. 

Its a furrow I see Fast Eddie ploughing more and more especially with domestic fights. Its too unsavoury for me so I just ignore all fight build up now. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Its such a well worn path to PPV sales that its going nowhere. The UFC has also totally lost the run of itself. We now have reached the point where we have fighters openely acknowledging that there is no real beef, and they are just doing it to generate hype, and they seem to think that this gives them carte blanche to go even further than they probably would if the beef was legit. 

Its a furrow I see Fast Eddie ploughing more and more especially with domestic fights. Its too unsavoury for me so I just ignore all fight build up now. 

The UFC just put on Holloway Vs Gaethje, two guys who are openly sound with each other and generally nice guys. Loads of people tuned in and it ended with a knockout in the last second that will be on highlight reels for years to come. Was given fight of the night. No beef, no stupid slurs, no threats of murder (well Gaethje said he was prepared to die but that's not the same thing). Just two guys doing what they're good at it. It works, don't know why the UFC or Boxing don't follow that path more often. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

The UFC just put on Holloway Vs Gaethje, two guys who are openly sound with each other and generally nice guys. Loads of people tuned in and it ended with a knockout in the last second that will be on highlight reels for years to come. Was given fight of the night. No beef, no stupid slurs, no threats of murder (well Gaethje said he was prepared to die but that's not the same thing). Just two guys doing what they're good at it. It works, don't know why the UFC or Boxing don't follow that path more often. 

Because yer fight/combat sports fan appreciates that, but your casual who outnumber the former by a fair old ratio, want to see a bitter slugfest. I love seeing the level of respect like that you mention between Gaethje and Holloway, but we're the exception rather than the rule.