Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

There's no way a peak McGregor has the slightest chance against a peak Mayweather in the ring, in an octagon Mayweather is favourite until he gets caught in a grapple, I'm not convinced McGregor would get near him in either sphere.

It's all pretty pointless now anyway as Money is an old man and old men eventually lose to a diddy if they hang around long enough.

Edited by ayrmad

2 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

Going to nitpick on this one but McGregor isn't a brawler. His boxing for mma is very good and quite a technical fighter standing up. You're correct however in that a straight boxing match he'll get his face jabbed off.

Nitpick away! I don't closely follow MMA so have only really seen highlights, KO's etc and they tend to be him jumping on prone guys, so nothing that really grabs me as being transferable to the boxing ring. Must be really hard to un-learn stuff that's drilled into you in terms of stance, hand positions etc but old age catches up with us all and McGregor seems a testosterone-fuelled wee monster. Mayweather could suddenly feel his age with that coming at him.  

45 minutes ago, We Are Pars Fans! said:

I think Hearn is using Bellew to see if Haye still has it before deciding to put AJ in or not with him

More like using him as an opportunity to further line his pockets.  Bellew is hardly a benchmark for Haye taking on someone who could soon be the number 1 HW in the world and Hearn won't care if Haye's still got it or not, it's a guaranteed moneyspinner regardless.

53 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

in an octagon Mayweather is favourite until he gets caught in a grapple, I'm not convinced McGregor would get near him in either sphere.

You either vastly overestimate Mayweathers martial art ability or severely underestimate what it takes to become a top level MMA fighter.  I've absolutely no doubts that McGregor would kick (quite literally) the shit out of Floyd in the octagon.

50 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You either vastly overestimate Mayweathers martial art ability or severely underestimate what it takes to become a top level MMA fighter.  I've absolutely no doubts that McGregor would kick (quite literally) the shit out of Floyd in the octagon.

Aye, if Money doesn't tag him on the way in.

Edited by ayrmad

3 hours ago, Kool Keith said:

Saw Eddie was attempting to lend the Bellew - Haye fight credibility the other day saying that if Bellew wins he'd be in line for a Joshua fight, he really has no shame whatsoever. 

He probably would be in fairness. Not that there's much chance of it happening.

I won't be paying for it either - good one to watch in the pub paying it about 10% attention.

59 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How long are Mayweathers arms?

The 2 inch reach difference would be more than made up with Mayweather' class.

You just have to look at the poorness of Aldo's defence(unbeaten in 10 years) to see that MMA is nowhere near the standard of boxers like Mayweather.

A 28 year old Money v a 28 year old McGregor would be like a cat playing with a mouse.

Can people stop pretending that Mayweather will fight McGregor.

Bellew just on skysports saying that he won't be staying at heavyweight to fight AJ, I genuinely think he believes he has a say in the matter. Clips from next Sundays Gloves are off, look interesting.

49 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

Haven't seen much of either Charlo, glad one is moving up - I'll hopefully see more of him now and hopefully he does well!

His knockout of Jrock is probably my favourite punch ever, watched it at least 100 times no exaggeration 

8 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Wee bit off topic but did anyone happen to hear what kind of numbers Eubank got on ITV box office?

Doubt it'll be announced unfortunately

Of the 4 boxers fighting tomorrow (Broner, Granados, Peterson, Avanesyan) 3 of them miss weight, Broner the only one who comes in under limit