Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Wee bit harsh on the ref. AJ holds him by the neck, looks at the ref, ref splits them up. 

Joshua was actually Klitschko esque with his jab and grab tonight. Worked well for him. Feel a bit sorry for Parker that the ref just didn’t let them work inside as I think that’s where he could have got his success, and his team will likely have some (legitimate) gripes in the presser afterwards.

Think the scorecards were a bit wide too, certainly the correct result, but a bit harsh on Parker, IMO.

As an aside, froch stating that Joshua had found his “optimum weight division” is one of the stupidest things I’ve heard from a commentator. He’s a complete moron.

Just now, J_Stewart said:

Joshua was actually Klitschko esque with his jab and grab tonight. Worked well for him. Feel a bit sorry for Parker that the ref just didn’t let them work inside as I think that’s where he could have got his success, and his team will likely have some (legitimate) gripes in the presser afterwards.

Think the scorecards were a bit wide too, certainly the correct result, but a bit harsh on Parker, IMO.

As an aside, froch stating that Joshua had found his “optimum weight division” is one of the stupidest things I’ve heard from a commentator. He’s a complete moron.

Beat me to it - AJ said he’s been studying Klitschko and talking to his trainers. One or two punches then hold. And why not? Gets the job done (though far from spectacular). 

Never that far apart that the judges called it. That ref will be lucky to call a primary school scuffle for the rest of his (limited)career. 

Have to say though, the best thing about the Rangers Media website is that they always deliver the goods when itcomes to a working stream for a ppv.

Thought Parker was poor. AJ reffed that more than the ref. As soon as AJ stopped Parker stopped, then the ref stepped in. Parker’s only chance was to catch him on the inside yet every time AJ stopped he stopped. All a bit nicey nicey!

Sky Trying to pin all the blame on the ref. The pair of them were happy to take it to the judges.

AJ is becoming more and more like Wlad in how he always maintains the distance and prevents any inside work by bearing down on Parker’s neck.

Parker has never impressed me. He’s a one paced, predictable plodder. He was in survival mode for the first half of the fight as well.

Was dross.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

That fight was like a 36 minute w**k with no climax. It was decent for the first half of the fight when there was anticipation that something was about to happen but never really delivered. Think the criticism of Parker is a bit harsh, he came with a game plan and he wasn't a million miles from pulling it off, but the longer reach and strength of AJ won it in the end. Scorecards extremely harsh though, for Joshua to have won 11 rounds he needed to have won every 50/50, which there were a good few of. Parker also seems like an absolute top boi. Saw boxers trying to claim victories post fight in much more one sided bouts than that. Got a stream with wee Paulie commentating which is always a bonus.

Still think Fury would outbox AJ, technically too much for him, and we saw tonight that Joshua landing the big punches isn't a formality.

Everyone thinks that's a big plus for Joshua, I think it's his biggest weakness, he'll get away with it against most but someone is going to wait for that punch and land their own big one.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

A young Tyson would have destroyed AJ in less than a minute, the instant he doesn't have both arms in tight he's so open it's unbelievable.

Still not sure you can say that as AJ does what he needs to do. Barely had to get out of bed to beat Parker. His physique is great. His jab is fantastic but I’m not convinced he has much bottle. He hides behind that huge frame. Look how Wilder puts himself in the firing line to be in a position to land those KO’s. Look how much more natural Fury looks. 

Petty gripes though - he’s an incredible physical force but just wish he’d go balls out and show what he can really do.