Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Easter Jr would pummel Crolla.  Yet another Gallagher fighter fails when put in the ring against an elite opponent, he must be the most overrated trainer in the sport.  Was a good fight considering how one sided it was though, think 117-111 was a pretty fair scorecard.

Eddie Hearn saying that he doesn't think Fury will fight again. Also says that he's been in preliminary discussions for a Vlad-Joshua fight but that legal challenges will make it too difficult.

Doubt he *really* wants to make Vlad-Joshua, esp not for November. The prospect of all the charlatan sanctioning bodies and lawyers jamming up the heavyweights is depressing.

If he's been hospitalised then it's very serious.  Having said that he turned up at the fight on Saturday night to watch one of his mates on the undercard so I'm not sure if he has been hospitalised.

It's all very suspect if the man is seriously ill then I hope he gets better soon. But so soon close to a fight and not long after refusing a drug test. For the sake of the sport and his health strip him of the belts and if he comes back and I hope he does then give him first crack.

2 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

Is Eddie Hearn thought well of in the boxing world? I don't follow heavily enough to know the deal, but anytime I see him there's something I dislike about him yet I can't quite put my finger on it.

Americans/Casuals love him, everyone else hates him. Broadly speaking

I actually know someone who had dealings with Eddie Hearn over some charity stuff and found him a gent.

He's really adopting the go-to approach for British boxing promotions though - build up ticket sellers, usually by getting a 'local hero' type fighter established, get them to a title and get them to defend it in front of big crowds.  Frank Warren was the top dog in the 1990s and into the 2000s with this approach and Hearn Snr did something similar before him.  I think hardcore fans get a bit frustrated because they see fans who don't know as much as them hailing guys as world beater when they aren't.  However, as a promoter there's a balance to be struck between building a fighter up properly, getting the best deal, selling tickets and testing them against the very best.

Warren, who I am no fan of at all, used to get slated by fans on boxing forums for Ricky Hatton's opponents.  Hatton had a long run fighting guys likeTony Pep, Ray Oliveria, Freddie Pendleton, Ben Tackie, Stephen Smith, most of whom were either not good enough or past it.  However, when he stepped up to fight Tszyu he won, when he took on guys like Collazo and Castillo and Malignaggi he won.  So perhaps there's value in the slow build up, building up a name and a crowd before targeting the very best.  Of course, Hatton had to leave Warren to make all the big fights, aside from Tszyu.

Part of it is, of course, the paper title phenomenon.  Anthony Joshua hasn't beaten a top 10 heavyweight yet, really, but he's a world title holder and I think hardcore fans get irked by armchair Joe Six-packs saying that he's the best and should fight Haye etc etc.  

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I actually know someone who had dealings with Eddie Hearn over some charity stuff and found him a gent.

He's really adopting the go-to approach for British boxing promotions though - build up ticket sellers, usually by getting a 'local hero' type fighter established, get them to a title and get them to defend it in front of big crowds.  Frank Warren was the top dog in the 1990s and into the 2000s with this approach and Hearn Snr did something similar before him.  I think hardcore fans get a bit frustrated because they see fans who don't know as much as them hailing guys as world beater when they aren't.  However, as a promoter there's a balance to be struck between building a fighter up properly, getting the best deal, selling tickets and testing them against the very best.

Warren, who I am no fan of at all, used to get slated by fans on boxing forums for Ricky Hatton's opponents.  Hatton had a long run fighting guys likeTony Pep, Ray Oliveria, Freddie Pendleton, Ben Tackie, Stephen Smith, most of whom were either not good enough or past it.  However, when he stepped up to fight Tszyu he won, when he took on guys like Collazo and Castillo and Malignaggi he won.  So perhaps there's value in the slow build up, building up a name and a crowd before targeting the very best.  Of course, Hatton had to leave Warren to make all the big fights, aside from Tszyu.

Part of it is, of course, the paper title phenomenon.  Anthony Joshua hasn't beaten a top 10 heavyweight yet, really, but he's a world title holder and I think hardcore fans get irked by armchair Joe Six-packs saying that he's the best and should fight Haye etc etc.  

Pretty much nailed it spot on IMO ! Bravo sir 

What ICTChris said is pretty much spot on.

The thing that probably annoys me the most about Matchroom is they way they build up fighters. For the most part they'll fight bums until they get into the alphabet rankings then fight the weakest ranked fighters to get into a mandatory position to fight for either a vacant title or against who ever the weakest champion at that weight is. Then they'll fight a couple of voluntary defences, maybe a mandatory and then they'll have a unification and lose. So they get into the position of champion or challenger without ever fighting a world level opponent and when they do fight one they almost always lose because they aren't prepared for the step up in class. Callum Smith right now is the most obvious example of this, he's No1 with the WBC having fought no one above British/European level and won't until he fights for the belt.

2 hours ago, Super_A said:

What ICTChris said is pretty much spot on.

The thing that probably annoys me the most about Matchroom is they way they build up fighters. For the most part they'll fight bums until they get into the alphabet rankings then fight the weakest ranked fighters to get into a mandatory position to fight for either a vacant title or against who ever the weakest champion at that weight is. Then they'll fight a couple of voluntary defences, maybe a mandatory and then they'll have a unification and lose. So they get into the position of champion or challenger without ever fighting a world level opponent and when they do fight one they almost always lose because they aren't prepared for the step up in class. Callum Smith right now is the most obvious example of this, he's No1 with the WBC having fought no one above British/European level and won't until he fights for the belt.

If u listen to fast Eddie Callum smith is the best thing since sliced bread. He's a decent fighter but as u said hasn't  fought any top class opponents thus far which would probably make it all that more difficult when he is up against the elite fighters. Double edged sword with the way they are brought through IMO 

Edited by Disco30