Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

25 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It'll be a better legacy than you or I will ever leave in sporting terms, it's his legacy to decide what hne leaves or doesn't leave, I'd far rather he didn't fight if he has next to no motivation rather than fight diddies he might or might not lose to just for the cash like thousands before him, it's a dangerous sport when giving 100% never mind going in half-arsed..

Think it's a pretty naive comment to make. We quite clearly wouldn't be sitting on p&b discussing a world champion if you or I had any sort of aspirations of. Ring a world boxing champion in the near future so that's stating the obvious. Also as I said previously he will get the motivation back when his wealth has dried up and he needs to make a quick buck. The Tyson fury show will be back soon enough but at this moment in time his legacy is non existent if u ask me.

1 minute ago, Disco30 said:

Think it's a pretty naive comment to make. We quite clearly wouldn't be sitting on p&b discussing a world champion if you or I had any sort of aspirations of. Ring a world boxing champion in the near future so that's stating the obvious. Also as I said previously he will get the motivation back when his wealth has dried up and he needs to make a quick buck. The Tyson fury show will be back soon enough but at this moment in time his legacy is non existent if u ask me.

I think it's you that's being naive, his legacy is that he's the best on the planet, regardless of longevity he'll always be able to say he was the best on the planet.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

Fury's won the world title, if that was the peak of his ambition then I can understand why he's not shown the slightest interest in fighting again, he comfortably beat the guy that was supposedly head and shoulders above anyone else in the division, where's the incentive to beat the diddies that are left other than the financial one.

11 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

That's him back out of retirement.

:lol::lol::lol:

Saying he will be defending what's rightfully his as well , when it's looking ever more likely that he will have to challenge for the titles again when he's  stripped of them. 

Just read the interview by dale evans regarding iron mike towell , pretty emotional read guy must be absolutely devastated would think it will be a tough 1 for him getting back in the ring again.

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I think it's you that's being naive, his legacy is that he's the best on the planet, regardless of longevity he'll always be able to say he was the best on the planet.

What fury did against klitschko was superb it's made the heavyweight division a lot more appealing to the fans instead of watching the snoozefest that was wlads title defences , it's the aftermath of that which has soured it for me personally , and regardless of what he does there will always be a debate of wether he could do it all over again as I don't think wlad would be quite as tentative as he was in the 1st fight.

36 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

it's the aftermath of that which has soured it for me personally .

This isn't so much an issue with Fury but with UK fighters in general and at least Fury got his belts in impressive fashion rather than being maneuvered into it by fighting a string of tomato cans then challenging for a vacated belt.

Edited by Fat Joe da Gangsta

If Fury does want to fight on there are a number of things that could complicate matters

- The failed drugs test for Nandrolone.  He could face a ban for this if the test is upheld.

- Alleged refusal to take a drugs test more recently, effectively a failed test.

- Alleged failed drugs test for cocaine.  He could face a ban for this if it's true and upheld.

- Medical issues.  Is he fit to fight?  He apparently couldn't fight thsi week because of medical problems, when will he be fit again?

- Boxing politics.  I don't know who officially promotes Fury, is it Warren or Hennessy?  I assume Vlad's lot might have something coming to them in terms of promotions as well.  Potentially hugely messy.

- Reliability.  Who here will be queuing up to buy tickets for his next fight, whenever it is?  Given the number of call-offs and his unreliability I think fans will be hesitant.  A lot of 'casuals' (can I be in the superfan club now guys?) will just switch off from him and for big events those are the guys driving the numbers, the PPV buys, the ticket sales etc.  I imagine Boxnation has sunk quite a bit of money into promoting and securing the Fury-Vlad rematch, they might not be keen to get stung again.  If Fury comes back and doesn't fight Vlad, Joshua or Haye then I doubt it would make sense on a PPV.  

He may have 'unretired' but I don't think he'll be back in the ring soon.  Maybe he'll go down as the new Riddick Bowe, although he achieved far less than Bowe did.  I mean in the had-it, lost-it sense.

This isn't so much an issue with Fury but with UK fighters in general and at least Fury got his belts in impressive fashion rather than being maneuvered into it by fighting a string of tomato cans then challenging for a vacated belt.

Fury fought mostly bums til he beat a good fighter well past his best. His legacy will be judged on how few months it takes for him to appear on celebrity jungle / big brother / strictly etc.

I think saying Fury didn't have a sterling record before fighting Wlad is fine.  However, to call Wlad merely a good fighter and past his best is rewriting things a bit.  Wlad was utterly dominant in the division before facing Fury and I don't think you can say he was past it.  He didn't look old, he was outboxed.

I don't like Fury, I actually think he might be a little over-rated after his win over Wlad and he's clearly a grade A moron, but he deserves huge credit for his win over Klitschko.  A stunning result and performance.  It's not like he biffed him with a single punch KO, Hasim Rahman style.  

49 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Fury fought mostly bums til he beat a good fighter well past his best. His legacy will be judged on how few months it takes for him to appear on celebrity jungle / big brother / strictly etc.

All boxers fight mostly bums til they beat a good fighter.

37 minutes ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

This good fighter that you're talking about was arguably number 1 P4P and had reigned supreme in his division for the past decade taking on allcomers.

No he wasn't, not even close.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think saying Fury didn't have a sterling record before fighting Wlad is fine.  However, to call Wlad merely a good fighter and past his best is rewriting things a bit.  Wlad was utterly dominant in the division before facing Fury and I don't think you can say he was past it.  He didn't look old, he was outboxed.

I don't like Fury, I actually think he might be a little over-rated after his win over Wlad and he's clearly a grade A moron, but he deserves huge credit for his win over Klitschko.  A stunning result and performance.  It's not like he biffed him with a single punch KO, Hasim Rahman style.  

Wlad is no more than a good boxer who has dominated a poor division for a decade, whether he's over the hill time and his next decent fight will tell us, boxers can hit the buffers from one fight to the next regardless of talent levels.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

If Fury does want to fight on there are a number of things that could complicate matters

- The failed drugs test for Nandrolone.  He could face a ban for this if the test is upheld.

- Alleged refusal to take a drugs test more recently, effectively a failed test.

- Alleged failed drugs test for cocaine.  He could face a ban for this if it's true and upheld.

- Medical issues.  Is he fit to fight?  He apparently couldn't fight thsi week because of medical problems, when will he be fit again?

- Boxing politics.  I don't know who officially promotes Fury, is it Warren or Hennessy?  I assume Vlad's lot might have something coming to them in terms of promotions as well.  Potentially hugely messy.

- Reliability.  Who here will be queuing up to buy tickets for his next fight, whenever it is?  Given the number of call-offs and his unreliability I think fans will be hesitant.  A lot of 'casuals' (can I be in the superfan club now guys?) will just switch off from him and for big events those are the guys driving the numbers, the PPV buys, the ticket sales etc.  I imagine Boxnation has sunk quite a bit of money into promoting and securing the Fury-Vlad rematch, they might not be keen to get stung again.  If Fury comes back and doesn't fight Vlad, Joshua or Haye then I doubt it would make sense on a PPV.  

He may have 'unretired' but I don't think he'll be back in the ring soon.  Maybe he'll go down as the new Riddick Bowe, although he achieved far less than Bowe did.  I mean in the had-it, lost-it sense.

Any idea what happened with Bowe? re-watched the Holyfield fights.....outstanding! especially the first one! 

He got really fat.

He joined the Marines then left after a week.

He got smacked about by Andrew Golota but won twice because Golota is a lunatic who kept punching him in the balls.

He got REALLY fat.

He came back and fought a few times on Saureland cards but he was fat.  As the future US President would say - Sad!

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

He got really fat.

He joined the Marines then left after a week.

He got smacked about by Andrew Golota but won twice because Golota is a lunatic who kept punching him in the balls.

He got REALLY fat.

He came back and fought a few times on Saureland cards but he was fat.  As the future US President would say - Sad!

lol.....I knew he got fat but he still beat Holyfield for a 2nd time whilst fat. Like you say, sad. Why didn't he fight Lewis or Tyson in the 90's? Not like his record suggests he ducked many (if any) on the way to the undisputed heavyweight titles!

46 minutes ago, sjc said:

Any idea what happened with Bowe? re-watched the Holyfield fights.....outstanding! especially the first one! 

He wouldn't fight Lewis. That's what was wrong with him.

Edited by kiddy

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

All boxers fight mostly bums til they beat a good fighter.

No he wasn't, not even close.

Wlad is no more than a good boxer who has dominated a poor division for a decade, whether he's over the hill time and his next decent fight will tell us, boxers can hit the buffers from one fight to the next regardless of talent levels.

I don't play the P4P game because I cba with speculation but if anybody qualifies for a top position then it has to be someone who has beaten everybody and ducked nobody in his division for a decade.

59 minutes ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

I don't play the P4P game because I cba with speculation but if anybody qualifies for a top position then it has to be someone who has beaten everybody and ducked nobody in his division for a decade.

He's beaten mostly dumplings, usually after he's had them in as sparring partners just to make sure, he shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the top 2 or 3 boxers of the last 5 or 10 years.