Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

We've been through all this before.  He's not in a position to control the quality of the division over the past decade or so all he can do is fight everybody possible and win which is what he has done. Also barring a few (very) purple patches HW has never been the most consistently strong division in the sport. Some people think it should be a constant merry go round of Alis, Fraziers, Foremans, Holmes', Tysons etc.

Edited by Fat Joe da Gangsta

2 minutes ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

We've been through all this before.  He's not in a position to control the quality of the division over the past decade or so all he can do is fight everybody possible and win which is what he has done. Also barring a few (very) purple patches HW has never been the most consistently strong division in the sport. Some people think it should be a constant merry go round of Alis, Fraziers, Foremans, Holmes', Tysons etc.

What has that whataboutery got to do with being the best p4p boxer.

Just now, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

That says it all I suppose.

Well it shows you how highly I rate Wlad, I don't even think he's the best p4p in his own family.

He got really fat.

He joined the Marines then left after a week.

He got smacked about by Andrew Golota but won twice because Golota is a lunatic who kept punching him in the balls.

He got REALLY fat.

He came back and fought a few times on Saureland cards but he was fat.  As the future US President would say - Sad!

Golota loved punching balls tbf.

1 hour ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

He's the only active boxer in his family. Who's your top 147, Sugar Ray Leonard?

You can put up any old pish you like, as soon as mention Wlad as a possible p4p no.1 you lose any kudos you had.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

You can put up any old pish you like, as soon as mention Wlad as a possible p4p no.1 you lose any kudos you had.

It's a common opinion I hear mentioned by people that know more about the sport than myself.  Like I said, I cba with P4P lists personally but I wouldn't argue with anyone if they said they thought he was around the top of their list.

1 hour ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

It's a common opinion I hear mentioned by people that know more about the sport than myself.  Like I said, I cba with P4P lists personally but I wouldn't argue with anyone if they said they thought he was around the top of their list.

Celtic dominate Scottish football comfortably every year, they're pish.

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Celtic dominate Scottish football comfortably every year, they're pish.

Terrible analogy. Wlad couldn't do anymore at the peak of his powers, faced everyone and beat them all. Celtic fail every year when they step up to Champions League level.

Just now, iknowwheremaddieis said:

Terrible analogy. Wlad couldn't do anymore at the peak of his powers, faced everyone and beat them all. Celtic fail every year when they step up to Champions League level.

Wlad's hardly beat a decent fighter over the course of his career, http://boxrec.com/boxer/7035 rake through the careers of all those opponents and you should see similarities with Celtic..

4 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Wlad's hardly beat a decent fighter over the course of his career, http://boxrec.com/boxer/7035 rake through the careers of all those opponents and you should see similarities with Celtic..

From when he won his first belt, he fought everyone and beat them all until Fury.  The only one capable of beating him for a decade was his brother, and that was a fight that was quite clearly never going to happen.

Comparing boxers from different eras is pretty pointless really. As much as Wlad has dominated the heavyweight division for over a decade it can't be ignored that the quality in the division has been pretty poor when compared to other eras.

As much as he's been No.1 in the heavyweight division for over 10 years I wouldn't say that status transcends into the P4P ratings over the same period as imo there are better boxers with records that are maybe not so dominant but fought in far more competitive weight divisions.

I'm with Ayr mad. Pound for pound to me means that if all things were equal and all boxers were the same size then who would be the top dog. It certainly wouldn't be Wlad. He relied almost exclusively on his height and size- that was effective for him but he's hardly a boxing genius.
He had a great jab and great straight right but other than that? He only threw to occasional left hook and the odd right upper. Apart from that he threw nothing else. He could maintain distance well but got away with a lot of holding, grabbing and leaning that others wouldn't.

He could only beat what was in front of him- that's true. And as you go to the heavier weights and taller and bigger boxers then the reliance on size and power become more important than skill so it's hard comparing heavies to anyone else.

Fury did well to beat him. It should have invigorated the heavyweight division so it was exciting but the fight was rank rotten. Has anyone actually watched it again?

Fury's lateral and constant movement befuddled Wlad but the fact he was befuddled so easily without a plan B showed just how robotic and predictable he really was. There just wasn't anyone fit, Mobile and tall enough to do it before.

Fury's boxing skills also have glaring holes in them. He was wide open for a right hand as seen in his fight with the Serb boy and put down by a cruiserweight in Cunningham . So well done in beating a reigning champion but he's no great and probably never would have been. You wouldn't tell a young boxer to watch and learn from Tyson fury.

8 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I'm with Ayr mad. Pound for pound to me means that if all things were equal and all boxers were the same size then who would be the top dog. It certainly wouldn't be Wlad. He relied almost exclusively on his height and size- that was effective for him but he's hardly a boxing genius.
He had a great jab and great straight right but other than that? He only threw to occasional left hook and the odd right upper. Apart from that he threw nothing else. He could maintain distance well but got away with a lot of holding, grabbing and leaning that others wouldn't.

He could only beat what was in front of him- that's true. And as you go to the heavier weights and taller and bigger boxers then the reliance on size and power become more important than skill so it's hard comparing heavies to anyone else.

Fury did well to beat him. It should have invigorated the heavyweight division so it was exciting but the fight was rank rotten. Has anyone actually watched it again?

Fury's lateral and constant movement befuddled Wlad but the fact he was befuddled so easily without a plan B showed just how robotic and predictable he really was. There just wasn't anyone fit, Mobile and tall enough to do it before.

Fury's boxing skills also have glaring holes in them. He was wide open for a right hand as seen in his fight with the Serb boy and put down by a cruiserweight in Cunningham . So well done in beating a reigning champion but he's no great and probably never would have been. You wouldn't tell a young boxer to watch and learn from Tyson fury.

In addition to this, Wlad's common tactic in previous fights was to use his size advantage to lean on and push down on opponents thus sapping them of their strength, He couldn't do this with Fury.