Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Decision to not sign a striker this January hits home

The poor decision was made last summer when we strengthened (on paper) every area apart from the forward line.

But I'm pleased in one sense – this is the sort of situation that is the only way we might see young players tested.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Decision to not sign a striker this January hits home, as Kane is ruled out for the season.

Now left with just MacLean and Cummins, one of whom can't play on plastic pitches and one who's massively out of goalscoring form.

f**k sakes. That's an actual stinker.

Just now, The Woolshed said:

Had both kids today so didn't make it down but delighted. Looking at the remaining fixtures for teams below us I can't see a scenario where we don't make top 6. How was Scobbie? Swanson still looking disinterested?

Scobbie struggled against Haber, but most defenders in the league will. Some absolute brain farts though, highlighted when he decided to rush forward two yards to head the ball clear but had utterly misjudged it and ended up leaving Haber 8 yards out with nobody marking him and the ball landing right at his feet. Fortunately Haber seemed to be surprised and couldnt control the ball.

Swanson was terrific. Involved in plenty, had a couple of shots, some beautiful interplay with the midfield and Macca and showed real class. Hes never going to succeed with everything he tries, but its promising to see him actually trying wee nutmegs and flicks again. Folk seem to be hell bent on slating him regardless of how he plays now though, based on this contract problem.

I'm not in that category. But in recent games he has been poor, by his early season standards. It's been highlighted that there have been outside factors which may be too blame though. I'm very easy going about the contract situation now though. We've wrapped up almost everyone I wanted so with 2/3 good editions next season could and should be another good one.

Just now, The Woolshed said:

I'm not in that category. But in recent games he has been poor, by his early season standards.

Yeah theres no doubt about that. Today was reminiscent of the earlier form, just lacking that final finish. Folk seem to have a bizarre romanticised version of his early form in their head though, so hes now being compared to a player that he never was.

Couple of stats on the Official Twitter via Brian Doyle that are quite interesting, to me anyway.

• Steven Anderson is two matches away from the 400 game landmark
  • Chris Millar is two matches away from the 300 game landmark
  • Liam Craig is four matches away from the 300 game landmark
  • Joe Shaughnessy has only missed one match in the last two seasons

Zander Clark being overlooked by Strachan because he plays for saints according to Tommy Wright.. As much as I'd like to agree there's no chance he'd get in ahead of Gordon Marshall or McGregor.

Although having said that, bringing him into the squad for the experience would help for the future, and it's not like all three keepers will be used anyway.

So yeah, f*ck Strachan

Just now, deej said:

Zander Clark being overlooked by Strachan because he plays for saints according to Tommy Wright.. As much as I'd like to agree there's no chance he'd get in ahead of Gordon Marshall or McGregor.

Although having said that, bringing him into the squad for the experience would help for the future, and it's not like all three keepers will be used anyway.

So yeah, f*ck Strachan

Yup. Strachan made the point constantly that Jack Hamiltons being called up to help his adapt to the senior level, and that he needs to look at younger goalkeepers. So who does he call up when Hamiltons forms so bad he can't select him?

Allan fucking McGregor.

Its shitehawks like Strachan who force younger players out of this league, by their sheer reluctance to select anyone outwith Celtic/Rangers/Hearts and Hibs. We've no chance of keeping Clark if he has International ambition.

Yup. Strachan made the point constantly that Jack Hamiltons being called up to help his adapt to the senior level, and that he needs to look at younger goalkeepers. So who does he call up when Hamiltons forms so bad he can't select him?
Allan fucking McGregor.
Its shitehawks like Strachan who force younger players out of this league, by their sheer reluctance to select anyone outwith Celtic/Rangers/Hearts and Hibs. We've no chance of keeping Clark if he has International ambition.

Didn't realise he'd been saying that. In that case I'd like to emphasise the end of my previous post.

F*ck Strachan. And f*ck that c*nt McGhee while I'm at it.

Clark still makes too many errors to give Wright's complaint genuine credence. He's playing well but you can't make four or five high profile errors in the space of the same number of months, no matter how many good saves attempt to balance it out. I think his distribution (which can be a real weapon) needs to become more reliable too and I'm not sold on his command of the box; punching the ball is fine but I'd like him to get more distance when he fists it away.

Clark still makes too many errors to give Wright's complaint genuine credence. He's playing well but you can't make four or five high profile errors in the space of the same number of months, no matter how many good saves attempt to balance it out. I think his distribution (which can be a real weapon) needs to become more reliable too and I'm not sold on his command of the box; punching the ball is fine but I'd like him to get more distance when he fists it away.

All fair points, until you remember Hamilton, a far weaker keeper has been called up numerous times

Agree with both. Zander has had a good first season, but has had quite a few howlers along the way. Goalkeepers need to be reliable and he needs to work on that.

Having said that, Strachan is a total arse of a man, who does nothing to promote or support our game domestically. As you say, any decent player at a non-old firm club generally has to go play in the English lower leagues, or sit on the bench at an old firm club to get international recognition.

Hamilton is shite. But based in current form, Gordon Marshall would have been a more credible pick. None of the 'younger' keepers ie, Bain, Clark and Hamilton have done anything to justify being picked.

McGregor is back in decent form and deserves the call up. Only younger keeper that can have been justified being called up would have been that Jordan Archer but I've not a clue how he's getting on down south.