Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Ric said:

It's a shame for MacPherson. It was becoming clear he wasn't going to progress into a great player but he seemed to have all the attributes to be an average lower Premiership or upper Championship one.

I'm sure I wasn't the only St Mirren fan to look at the move and think, if given the right position and directions, the change of club might see him become a decent addition. Not a replacement for outgoing players, but certainly not a bad addition to the squad.

It seems, however, either through his own mistakes or through Davidson's use of him, it's all gone a bit Pete Tong.

He's Championship level.  Lower Championship level. 

12 minutes ago, The Marly said:

He's Championship level.  Lower Championship level. 

That's the thing, he wasn't when with us. I'm not saying he was a world beater, but going on the reports from your support it seems he's regressed badly for whatever reason. Shame for the boy, but I'll not lie; as much as I'd be slightly disappointed if he had gone to you and been a star, I'll not shed many tears about him not improving your team.

43 minutes ago, Ric said:

That's the thing, he wasn't when with us. I'm not saying he was a world beater, but going on the reports from your support it seems he's regressed badly for whatever reason. Shame for the boy, but I'll not lie; as much as I'd be slightly disappointed if he had gone to you and been a star, I'll not shed many tears about him not improving your team.

He's probably a player that would look good in a good team where he'd get more time on the ball. There is clearly some tallent in there, but we just don't get to see it.

I think for him, a move abroad would suit his game better.

The irony is that he'd probably do a job for us if we went down to the championship, however, like Crawford, he will never be a player Saints fans will take to.

General problem the season is that our midfield has absolutely zero grit and not willing to put enough effort in.

Concerned at the lack of 'firm' rumours or signings given Saturday is first day we can get them in. What I don't want (but suspect is what we will get) is back end of window signings. We need 3-4 players in and with a couple of weeks training under the belt before the first game. 

14 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

He's probably a player that would look good in a good team where he'd get more time on the ball. There is clearly some tallent in there, but we just don't get to see it.

I think this as well. If he’d joined us at the end of last January and played occasional matches and been brought off the bench, he would have been playing in a confident, successful side and probably looked far better.

Instead he’s been brought into a struggling team well into the season and been asked to perform a certain role in a side that looks an incoherent mess a lot of the time.

His lack of work rate, particularly being lazy when an opponent first runs off him presumably hoping it comes to nothing has not helped his cause at all. Possibly he’s struggling for match fitness and sharpness?  He hasn’t started many matches to be fair.

There was a game (possibly first half v Livi) where I thought he looked very good, spraying passes around and looking like one of our more creative midfielders, and he also started brightly in a draw with hearts and win at Tannadice, but each time he faded badly as our midfield was dominated by the opposition.

26 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Concerned at the lack of 'firm' rumours or signings given Saturday is first day we can get them in. What I don't want (but suspect is what we will get) is back end of window signings. We need 3-4 players in and with a couple of weeks training under the belt before the first game. 

I've zero doubt we'll have more than Cleary signed before our next game.

If Hasseilbank’s post is actually cryptic, and he does sign for us… it really makes me question the new Head of Recruitment. In what seemed like a good appointment for the club and one that would help us modernise… we’re still signing ex players, players that Callum knows and players that Gary Rowett knows

Surely, just surely… in a window where more funds are getting freed up, we’d have better plans in place than an ex player from 6 ish years ago who’s been a free agent since the summer.

6 minutes ago, DavidSJFC01 said:

Surely, just surely… in a window where more funds are getting freed up, we’d have better plans in place than an ex player from 6 ish years ago who’s been a free agent since the summer.

Like Cleary?