Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I'm pleased with signing Ciftci, simply because he has the potential to provide a modicum of excitement. That has been in short supply this season. 

Midfield still worries me though. We need legs and also someone creative. 

Edited by Radford

I'm just grateful stuff is happening. Wasn't expecting Ciftci but if he helps keep us up.......... Thought he was older too. No sure why. 

Edited by Trackdaybob

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can definitely see parallels between United signing a 34yo DM who hadn't played for 5 months who had no experience of Scottish football, and us signing a 29yo striker in January who's played over 100 games in this division.

He'll be 30 by the time he gets international clearance though!

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fair play to St Johnstone, they're in trouble and are acting. Nadir might be a bit of a dice roll, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does ok for you. Could easily bag 6-7 goals between now and the end of the season.

Would take him ahead of Erwin, Main and Dennis.

As you say, could go either way but its a risk they had to take.

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fair play to St Johnstone, they're in trouble and are acting. Nadir might be a bit of a dice roll, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does ok for you. Could easily bag 6-7 goals between now and the end of the season.

6-7 goals from him would be success because our other strikers don't look like scoring as many as that. 

Obviously different levels and it is only Wiki I could be bothered checking, but he's not really a prolific striker either. Has 4 more league goals in his career than Danny Mullen despite playing a few seasons more and having a whole raft of extra clubs to score for and is 4 year older.

Really had a purple patch at United. Never been a goalscorer elsewhere.

53 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Obviously different levels and it is only Wiki I could be bothered checking, but he's not really a prolific striker either. Has 4 more league goals in his career than Danny Mullen despite playing a few seasons more and having a whole raft of extra clubs to score for and is 4 year older.

Really had a purple patch at United. Never been a goalscorer elsewhere.

The main comparison is that he has better goals record than Chris Kane though Ludo, 

18 minutes ago, Center half said:

The main comparison is that he has better goals record than Chris Kane though Ludo, 

12 more goals in 2 extra seasons based on the (extremely unreliable) Wiki stats.

Heard earlier that Saints had made Shaw and Celtic an excellent offer but were completely blown out the water by another club. The percentage of his wages they were prepared to cover would make him our highest ever earner. That's before you even start on the loan fee. 

Makes more sense now given the open secret in Scottish football circles about which club is jeopardising any future government loans by spending the entirety of the last one on their first team squad. 

Just now, mizfit said:

That sound you heard was my arse clenching at the thought of Zander leaving us this window.

Famous last words but I really can't see Saints letting him go this window, especially after August.

It's been some turnaround from him and all logic would point towards taking a fee but we just can't afford to in our current predicament. 

The summer will be interesting. First time we'll have needed to sign a keeper in probably 12 years.

Famous last words but I really can't see Saints letting him go this window, especially after August.
It's been some turnaround from him and all logic would point towards taking a fee but we just can't afford to in our current predicament. 
The summer will be interesting. First time we'll have needed to sign a keeper in probably 12 years.

The heralds article pretty much says he’s away in the summer, which I don’t blame him, especially if he’s hopes of breaking into the Scotland team on a regular basis.

As highly rated Wills and Sinclair are, it’s definitely too early to consider either as ready to step up.