Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Entirely plausible.

5 minutes ago, Callum took a phone call while tucking into a croissant and a flat white in Ciao cafe, Bridge of Allan........

Gone are the days of out of work football folk being in a bookies in Clydebank with a can of Tennents.

Davidson would actually not be a bad fit for Dundee. I think the pressure/expectations of a bigger club and one that is close to him, blinkered him a bit.

Plus, Millwall and dundee have same colours, so easy transition for the 3/4 players that would be sent up. 

His first job there would be to build a squad...

He needed longer out the game to actually go over what went wrong and how he needs to change it if he wanted to succeed at his next job, IMO.

17 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Gone are the days of out of work football folk being in a bookies in Clydebank with a can of Tennents.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with him ordering a flat white - in an Italian cafe.

On 04/05/2023 at 10:23, PauloPerth said:

It’s a definite weakness, especially compared to the double season when we were great from set plays, and had a few different routines we’d clearly worked on.

Thought Considine would have been a bigger threat as he scored a few at Aberdeen.

It annoys me watching those dead balls from MacPherson last week that there isn’t a shout from the sidelines to get them off him and get someone else hitting them.

I think he tries to be too clever the way he’s striking it etc, which is a pity as he can put a good ball in.  Reminds me of that 0-0 at Hibs last season where he hit some howlers trying to be clever.

As mentioned further up, if you’re only putting in one good delivery every 3 or 4 then that’s nowhere near good enough.  

Days late but a lot of his goals actually came from playing at left back. Would get in to the box late and was an extra aerial presence, often up against a mismatched right winger/full back.

Agree with general point made above that Davidson probably deserves another shot in management but he needs far longer than 3 weeks to reflect on why he's out of a job.

He's stubborn, defensive, risk averse and cares not for long-term strategy. All traits he needs to eradicate.

The 5-2-3 wasn't in any way designed to suit the squad he inherited, he was just very fortunate the players we had suited it; one ball-carrying centre back and another who was comfortable on it, wing backs that were strong aerially and happy to sit high, a machine of a central midfielder, two very intelligent players to play the wide/ten roles and a striker who is ideally suited to playing on his own.

Role on a year and a bit and with only two of those players available, he simply tried to shoehorn (far inferior) players into a similar system. That run that culminatined at Kelty was criminal in the complete absence of any attempt to try something different.

Even this season when another shocking run finally forced a January change, he couldn't help but revert back to his beloved back three as soon as possible. He changed it again at Livingston obviously in his final game but he was already a dead man walking by that point.

Saints fans are very patient but unless he has a complete personality transformation, the Dundee support will be on his back very quickly and exactly the same complaints as we had will surface again.

Wonder to what extent there’ll be psychological damage from that injury. Certainly wasn’t scared to put himself about before but I can imagine that’s slightly less appealing having been injured for such a long time. 

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

Wonder to what extent there’ll be psychological damage from that injury. Certainly wasn’t scared to put himself about before but I can imagine that’s slightly less appealing having been injured for such a long time. 

Is there not a thing about the "first sprint" when its been muscle injuries?

Players themselves dont know until they fully open up on the pitch for the first time. Theyll either feel great and be buzzing, or theyll know something isnt right.

Kane was always a player who'd run himself in the ground. Would look absolutely battered and exhausted sometimes and still be chasing lost causes. 

Certainly early on after these injuries he may well be someone who after 75 mins of giving it everything is subbed to avoid him continuing to work hard when his muscles and body as a whole are fatigued. Hopefully that reduces the chances of injuries on his come back. 

Well done to him though for working hard and getting through the last year or so. Must have been a battle mentally at times 👏

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Players themselves dont know until they fully open up on the pitch for the first time. Theyll either feel great and be buzzing, or theyll know something isnt right.

In a way, if we could give him 5/10 mins in each game before the end of the season, ideally when a game is already won or (I really hope) meaningless, then psychologically to get game time in and then the summer to rest and train, it would be massive. 

Different injury, but I think you could see in Stevie May when he first came back, he was a bit more cautious about challenges etc and that was having been 'fit' for quite a while. Will take Kane a lomg time too, but at Saints, he will be afforded that I hope. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye that rings a bell. Probably too late for him to play himself into a new contract, so do you give him a year extension in the hope that he returns to anything near he was beforehand or do you cut your losses? I’d be hopeful he gets one but that could be heart over head stuff. 

Edited by PSJ.84

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Aye that rings a bell. Probably too late for him to play himself into a new contract, so do you give him a year extension in the hope that he returns to anything near he was beforehand or do you cut your losses? I’d be hopeful he gets one but that could be heart over head stuff. 

Best would be contract to January for both club and player to evaluate progress.  That of course owuld depend on incoming manager wanting Kane and also Kane's agent agreeing to deal.

Noticed wee Davie at Livingston having a chat with him when we played them at Livvi - hopefully just asking how he was doing and not chatting about a deal.

Understand either decision with Kane.

Obvious we've missed him since hes been out and players like him seem extremely hard to find. 

But we're already committed to May, Clark, and Bair, next season. If Kane gets a deal are we likely to sign anyone else? I wouldnt mind adding a new striker and Kanes the easy casualty. 

Guess this is why it's key to secure safety early so the manager situation can clear up and they can make those decisions 

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Understand either decision with Kane.

Obvious we've missed him since hes been out and players like him seem extremely hard to find. 

But we're already committed to May, Clark, and Bair, next season. If Kane gets a deal are we likely to sign anyone else? I wouldnt mind adding a new striker and Kanes the easy casualty. 

Guess this is why it's key to secure safety early so the manager situation can clear up and they can make those decisions 

We have to get rid it Bair. Even if it means were taking a financial hit. It won't be the only wasted money.

No loan can fix it. He's not a footballer.

10 hours ago, The Saintee said:

We have to get rid it Bair. Even if it means were taking a financial hit. It won't be the only wasted money.

This. Let's stop pretending Bair is ever going to be a viable option. An expensive mistake, we need to move on from it.

11 hours ago, The Saintee said:

26 minutes ago, Costanza said:

This. Let's stop pretending Bair is ever going to be a viable option. An expensive mistake, we need to move on from it.

Mentioning him for next season wasnt me saying hes an option, just hes contracted and that needs taken into account when we're, presumably, cutting the wage spend from this season.

To get rid of him requires someone to want him.

I'm not sure I can remember a player that has carried as much good will as Bair. Even on Saturday, he got a great reception off the bench,. Then with his first touch kicked the ball about 30 yards in front of him as he tried to dribble with it.

And Steven MacLean doing himself no favours trying to tell us that Davidson did a fantastic job. This is one of reasons I'm probably sided on a new broom so we can properly rid ourselves of the lingering stench of Davidson.