Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

Yikes...they wish him well at least.

They could all be wrong of course. For instance the Oldham fans properly LOVED Gary the Ghost. 

They don’t support a real football club so their opinions don’t count IMO.

1 minute ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Some of the MK fans seem to be under the impression that we’re paying a fee for Smith. Surely they are just letting him leave for nothing

I suspect we might end up paying a fee for him. On paper seems a great signing, but if he is a player they are willing to offload after dropping down to league 2, does make you wonder why they would be getting rid?

Can get some right good players from league 1/league 2 down there who have maybe had a bad move or lost their way a bit, but equally, you can get some right dross. Goes both ways with players going down there too tbf. Hopefully it's the former and not the latter.

Hoping the few new fresh faces this week brings out something in the others already here too. 

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Mitov and Jephcott will do just fine as well. We just need our injuries to clear up.

No doubt. But the two of them in isolation weren't going to save your arses.

With those three in the door, you now have the foundation of a pretty decent squad.

Players in their 20s with at least a seasons worth of senior games behind them.

Its pretty much exactly the type of transfer gamble (all signings are varying degrees of gamble) we needed to take and should be taking.

We could genuinely surprise folk if they catch fire, especially as theres still fans of other clubs on Twitter claiming we have a boring squad of ageing has-beens.

We still need more creative options. Not clear yet how much Kucheriavyi will be involved so only Wright and Carey can definitely operate wide. Ballantyne being asked to play (and create) every week is a big onus as well.

And depending on Clark and Kane, we currently only have two strikers.

I'm pleased with McClelland, hopeful Smith just needs a change and comfortable with Olufunwa being a gamble, although worry about proven quality at right back.

Mitov (Sinclair)

Dare (Brown)

McClelland (Gordon)

Considine (Parker)

Gallacher (Booth)

Wright (Kucheriavyi)

Phillips (McGowan)

Smith (MacPherson/Ballantyne)

Carey (Steven)

May (Kane)

Jephcott (Clark)

Not bad. Just need a couple more to make up for current injuries and to maybe allow one of two of these younger lads to go out on loan.

Feel a bit more confident about the season ahead now. Some more to provide additional cover for defence perhaps, along with someone else out wide and I’ll be delighted. 

Agree we’re still pretty short in attacking areas so it’s reassuring that MacLean’s mentioned bringing in a winger and an attacking midfielder a couple of times now. Obviously know very little about any of the new signings but I’m feeling cautiously optimistic about this season. 

In terms of attacking signings, do we go down the same route as we’ve done with Jephcott, Olufunwa and Smith, or do we look to add somebody with a bit more experience? Not talking Davidson levels of experience though. 

29 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Mitov (Sinclair)

Dare (Brown)

McClelland (Gordon)

Considine (Parker)

Gallacher (Booth)

Wright (Kucheriavyi)

Phillips (McGowan)

Smith (MacPherson/Ballantyne)

Carey (Steven)

May (Kane)

Jephcott (Clark)

Not bad. Just need a couple more to make up for current injuries and to maybe allow one of two of these younger lads to go out on loan.

I think there is the makings of something there. Still missing a bit of width and creativity in the side. If all 4 strikers are fit, that actually gives us quite a few options, although no real pace there for an out ball.

If I was being greedy, I'd say we still need another right back and experienced central defender in addition to above, but, if McLelland and Dare both look decent, then could play both at CD and play Brown at RB. I think Brown gets an overly hard time. He might not be world class, but he is competent enough. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

I think Brown will be first choice RB this season. Probably not ideal but changing the entire squad in one window was never going to happen so youd always be left with average ones. 

A winger has to be the priority though.

I agree that Brown is the first choice. With no disrespect intended - if he was a tall, dark, handsome man by the name of Jamal Browninho, we’d probably have a higher opinion of James Brown’s footballing abilities. 

Edited by The Real Saints

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

I agree that Brown is the first choice. With no disrespect intended, if he was a tall, dark, handsome man by the name of Jamal Browninho, we’d probably have a higher opinion of James Brown’s footballing abilities. 

I've long held the opinion that he'd be alright as an orthodox right back in a back four.  We've spent three seasons trying to make him play the role Shaun Rooney played, which was fairly obviously never his game in a million years. We need some attacking flair ahead of him though. 

13 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I've long held the opinion that he'd be alright as an orthodox right back in a back four.  We've spent three seasons trying to make him play the role Shaun Rooney played, which was fairly obviously never his game in a million years. We need some attacking flair ahead of him though. 

And Jamie McCarts position

And Adam Montgomery's!

Thank God we've moved on from that

Browns looked fine since moving to a back 4 and his position would have been way down the priorities. Delighted we've got a couple of defenders in as it was both the area that's cost us in the League Cup and that injuries clearing won't help. 

Another striker might be one of the positions MacLean was talking about when he mentioned having to revisit the transfer policy.  If Kane is out for a couple of months and Clarks return keeps getting delayed, think we'll need someone. Watching the likes of Main and Murray give us issues at the end of last season, would like to see a more physical or pacy option signed in Kanes absence. A winger/attacking midfielder would be great but think we are running out of signings to come. Maybe a loan or two for numbers.

Right types of signings but undoubtedly a few risks in there. Think it will be a rough few weeks with injuries and new players settling. If we're tenth and there's a few successes amongst these signings, I'd be delighted