Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

So Clark is injured, Kane is likely injured if he's getting put down as a doubt and Jephcott is still carrying timber. We can't have May up front on his own as we know it doesn't work. Appreciate Maclean is probably frustrated that a professional footballer who hasn't had any reported injuries can't get himself fit in the 3 or so months he's been with us, but we surely have to throw him in against Livi. Jephcott and May probably won't work but May up top on his own definitely won't and there's not really anyone else who can play beside him. 

What a shit show

May as a lone striker hasn't been working at all so the last thing we should do is stick to it. 

Especially after the comments from the manager about if you played both it means you have no strikers on the bench.... 🤷‍♂️ I'd rather have no strikers on the bench than having one on the pitch struggling!

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

I dont think the issue is how many strikers so much as what kind of strikers we have.

Nobody in the squad except Kane and Clark seem able to be the focal point others can play off, and one seems like a complete crock now (whos contracted until 2025...) while the others likely going to have patchy spells with knocks due to how much he missed. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

46 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Fairly sure we've played Drey Wright as a striker at points too. Not that I'm saying we should.

Talking of wingers, where's this other new one disappeared to? Have we signed Jahmal Hector-Ingram again?

Hamstring injury I think they said a few weeks ago. 

“It could take someone to grab the bull by the horns for our season to ignite.

“An attitude of I’m going to get cut or put my head on something that might break my nose to score a goal.

“The blood soon wipes off when you do that.

“Sometimes you need to be brave, whether through your own performance, by leading or by talking. You need leaders all over the park.”

0_MIKE-BASSETT-MANAGER.jpg.ea660a27c1fd8078caa6045c2230c124.jpg

“I don’t rule out anything and we’re always looking at different things.

“I’ve never been against a three (at the back) and, if I think it’s the right thing, I’ll maybe do it.

“You are always trying to search for answers.

“When you are not winning games you might change personnel or shape.

“I’ve probably not had the personnel yet to play 4-4-2.

“I don’t think we’ve been beaten this season because we’ve not been prepared properly. It’s been poor goals.

“We haven’t been played through or battered with our shape – even in the Old Firm games.

“The first goal is massive. When you score that first goal, you can pick teams off when they have to come on to you. Instead, we have been the team chasing.”

b25lY21zOjRjNDU5ODY5LWJkMjYtNGU4Ny04NTM1LTI5YjEzOGEyYmMyMzpjMzQ5ZjUxNy1hZTZmLTRiNzQtYTYxNi01NmE4YzVkYmMwOTc.jpg.e1e43c09f75e6953b3965f2857996b5d.jpg

On 26/09/2023 at 14:48, Muirton Saint said:

A professional footballer should br able to keep themselves fit over the summer, even if they're a free agent for a bit.

A perfect example of this I would imagine would be David Wotherspoon. He has been without a club since July and is 10 years older, but there is no chance it would take him any more than a couple of weeks to get himself fit enough to start a game.

More to the point, why has a guy with his experience and quality without a club in nearly October?

Given we are willing to give game time to McPherson who contributes less than nothing, we could do worse than Spoony on a short term deal to provide us something different, given we are seeing no evidence of the style of play the manager said was part of the reason he let him go....

On McPherson, is he isn't playing for someone like EK or Darvel in the next 5 years I'd be very very surprised. Has neither the physicality or heart to play at this level. 

12 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

More to the point, why has a guy with his experience and quality without a club in nearly October?

Do wonder if hes just been nervous about committing to a move after being with us so long, and not really expecting.

Sounds like he couldve easily been signed by Dunfermline or Airdrie by now, but Dunfermline moved on to other targets.

Genuinely do think it would be worthwhile bringing him back at this stage, with how far away some players look, but its not happening under MacLean.

9 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Don’t know if these are good/worthwhile stats or not but quite wild how far ahead of the rest of the league Mitov is. He’s my main source of hope at the minute, keeps us relatively competitive single-handedly.

Don't get attached. Sold in January for £50k...