Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Motherwell, St Mirren and Killie in the next 3 games are ones we can realistically take points from. 

Just happens to be the three teams we gained a point on this weekend (not counting Dundee v county until it’s played).

Motherwell and killie at McD, st Mirren away.  Need to get our first win out of these fixtures, ideally a minimum of 6 points to kick start us.

Well organised and motivated to get clean sheets and a point at both Celtic park and pittodrie, but it’s time to show an attacking side to our game over the next month.

Aye need 2 wins, its past time for talking about things looking better, we now need results.

Mitov and Sprangler are two of the best signings we've made since McCart and Rooney IMO.

51 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Probably Smith’s best game for us too. Robinson looks much better in at centre half. 

Think Sprangler has genuinely sorted the midfield out himself. Just a total linchpin and means the others have some freedom instead of worrying about there being nothing defensive behind them.

Might even be helping the defence too.

An unbelievable signing.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think Sprangler has genuinely sorted the midfield out himself. Just a total linchpin and means the others have some freedom instead of worrying about there being nothing defensive behind them.

Might even be helping the defence too.

An unbelievable signing.

Sometimes you get that one signing who just knits everything together and makes everyone around them just better and he is exactly that.

Feel much more comfortable with him in the team. When you look at the bench too, just feels like we have a proper team and squad now. 

Obviously not unhappy with the result today and like others have said there was some good or at very least much better performances from a few today. 

My worry though is we still don't look like we're likely to score. The delivery into the box is often not quite good enough but a couple of times today there was good balls into the box and no one from Saints ever looked likely they'd get on the end of it. 

Defensively, again better but still a little lucky not to concede when we completely lost the runner. 

As a side thought... Long throws? More often than not the thrower fails to reach the area they're hoping to hit. While I appreciate it was always going to be difficult to throw the ball in the rain today fairly consistently this season so far they've been so so easy to defend as we basically never win the first or second balls from the throws that do reach. Cannot help but think they'd be better off looking to work a better position to deliver into the box in those areas, try to win a corner for example. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

12 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Probably Smith’s best game for us too. Robinson looks much better in at centre half. 

Smith was fine in the first half but completely vanished for much of the second. He had 2 touches in 21 minutes between about 65 and 85 minutes. Maybe he tired but you need more from your central midfielder when under pressure.

I still don't look at this team and see it as a long-term solution to anything but maybe, with two draws, it's given us something to build from.

So what have we learnt from this weekend -

• Max is finally starting to show why he's highly rated in a position that doesn't hamper him out wide and hopefully he kicks on.
  • Sven is the best midfielder we have and allows the team to actually try and play football, he's as close a McCann replacement as we've ever found based on his ability to cover the entire midfield and win the ball back. 
  • Costelloe is a nuisance, but realistically isn't a starting striker now we've got players back. 
  • Jephcott is finally getting chances and looking like scoring (albeit we need to do more as a team).
  • We desperately need to find something other than Carey on the left, as he will eventually cost us defensively. 
  • MacPherson should be 6th choice midfielder going forward. 
  • Dare I say that if we're now playing a back 3, McGowan should be back in the squad as RCB was his best position. 

We still don't have CBs who can overlap so the shape isnt ever going to get us goals, IMO. Robinson is looking better at LCB than LB because hes defensive and offers little in attack, much like how James Brown looked better as a RCB than a RWB.

Im getting more hopeful as we're performing more regularly and for longer, but ultimately we're still looking at the exact same issues as we had last season but with different players. Still praying Clark or Kane plays every week as otherwise we cant score, and thats not good enough.

If we've managed to stand still after a £1.5m cut in the budget, that says an awful lot about how awful a job Flax, Davidson, Brown and whoever else was involved in the squad managed last year. 

At least we're competing. I'm still not convinced we have anywhere near enough to stay up and the longer we go without a win the more pressure will build, but it's certainly looking better than it did after the league cup campaign. 

47 minutes ago, Kyle said:

At least we're competing. I'm still not convinced we have anywhere near enough to stay up and the longer we go without a win the more pressure will build, but it's certainly looking better than it did after the league cup campaign. 

I worry we're due a death bounce of sorts.

United last season looked to have turned a corner about now, then fell away again after the wee bounce and got relegated. Dundee had similar the season before (beating Aberdeen then drawing at Tynecastle), but fell away again and got relegated.

I still worry about how similar we are to ICT under Foran too. They drew their way to relegation and i worry thats a path we'll go down. You really need to get 3pts every 3 games, losing 1 and drawing 2 is worse.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I worry we're due a death bounce of sorts.

United last season looked to have turned a corner about now, then fell away again after the wee bounce and got relegated. Dundee had similar the season before (beating Aberdeen then drawing at Tynecastle), but fell away again and got relegated.

I still worry about how similar we are to ICT under Foran too. They drew their way to relegation and i worry thats a path we'll go down. You really need to get 3pts every 3 games, losing 1 and drawing 2 is worse.

Go on, try and be fucking positive for once.....dare you?

45 minutes ago, Widge said:

Go on, try and be fucking positive for once.....dare you?

I have been since the weekend, havent i? Theres definitely signs of foundations being built.

Ultimately though we're 8 games in with 0 wins and havent scored in 6. How positive can you be?

Carey is a funny one. I was critical of him at the weekend trying a couple of ridiculous things when there were better options, but I’m not as convinced we should be dropping him as others.  If I thought there was an obvious replacement that would create chances then fair enough.

The thing is, out of the the chances we’ve created this season, however few, I imagine he’s involved more than any other player.

He’s frustrating as hell at times, but in a team as goal opportunity starved as this one,  I’m not sure taking out that one attacking threat is a good idea.

It is maybe just the case you have to take the rough with the smooth with him, particularly now we’ve got a midfield that can get on top in matches far more and we can carry him defensively a bit.

MacPherson, on the other hand, …

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The thing is, out of the the chances we’ve created this season, however few, I imagine he’s involved more than any other player.

Quite comfortably.

Screenshot_20231009_182011_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b412b964eca95f1a9f32465d666c1241.jpg

Also in terms of carrying the ball and creating stuff.

Screenshot_20231009_182007_Chrome.thumb.jpg.75f7ea6c1e845cbf19d487fbce3d201e.jpg

Hes a liability defensively as he switches off a lot, particularly when in the middle, and id love to how many times he gives the ball away and opponents get a chance from it, but theres literally nobody else whos naturally left sided we can play there. Particularly if we stick with a back 5.

17 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

MacPherson, on the other hand, …

My heart sinks a little every time I see him coming on. I still think there is a really talented footballer there, but lacks some real effort, stamina or physicality. Without fail, every game he is barged off the ball easily and hits the ground complaining like he has been wiped out.