Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

An uncharacteristically swift sacking by Saints. Steve/ Geoff obviously see no way out of it the trajectory we were on.

We’re now in the shite situation of what to do if the next guy comes in and we lose our first 5-6 matches.  It’s something we’ve not had for a good few years; back to back failing managers.

Initially thought Ian Murray at Raith is an up and coming manager who could build something, but the debate is whether we bring in a short term fix to keep us up this season then re-evaluate from there, or do we think long term now??

I think it’ll be Scott Brown or Neil Lennon or the like.. folk perceived to be leaders who would get the team motivated. At least that would be the theory.

Maybe the worst managerial appointment in the SPFL Premiership era?

There have been managers who’ve done worse / more damage, sure.

But in terms of what everybody outside of Perth knew from the start - that Steven ‘glass knees’ MacLean is an utter fucking diddy who will never, ever make it in football management - that has to be right up there.

Just now, AW saint said:

No sympathy. Any manager intent on winding up fans instead of trying to get a tune out of his team deserves it. 

Out of his depth and out of a job. 

Hope you guys make a decent appointment. Get Livi or Dundee down

Did he not have about 3 years left on his contract?

Judging by the curt statement from St Johnstone I assume he didn’t resign?

Genuinely a 50% chance of it just being Clelland until next season. 

If it was just results I'd have thought it would have been better to keep him dead but in place until someone else ready to sign. 

Have to think he truly has lost the dressing room or board didn't like the stuff with interviews or the fans. 

I still like Maclean, but what a catastrophic disaster. 

Just now, HibsFan said:

Maybe the worst managerial appointment in the SPFL Premiership era?

There have been managers who’ve done worse / more damage, sure.

But in terms of what everybody outside of Perth knew from the start - that Steven ‘glass knees’ MacLean is an utter fucking diddy who will never, ever make it in football management - that has to be right up there.

He’s won more trophies at Saints as player and assistant than your wee Celtic tribute act club has in the past 30 years, so I wouldn’t get too mouthy.

10 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Christ what a mess. Right decision but they probably should have wished the club legend striker well in the statement at least!

End of the day we're a top flight premiership team (for now) and should never have been giving the job to someone with no managerial experience. Shite way to treat him and the shocking start we've made means whoever comes in has a huge job on their hands. 

Time for a Lampard/Jody Morris double act IMO

Saints don't have the time for niceties. Fluffy bits can come later, but suspect the club just needed to get something out there. Scottish football being as it is, the second he got to his car, he'd be letting one or two folk know and within minutes, it would become known to local media.

I think it will have been Stan making the call on this, bur with approval of one of the Browns. Club probably needs to act quicker than it would want here, but they will know who is available, achievable and what is needed.

As much as Jody would be one for the fans, we need someone who knows most of the team, the opposition and could start tomorrow. Throw in the need for experience and it probably limits the choice to only a few; Wright, Nelson and urgh Ross are the first few that spring to mind, but there will be others. Would someone like Steve Agnew be interested if he thinks Robson will be gone sooner rather than later?