Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

You can give any explanation you want for it, but him leaving in the Summer was the best move for everyone.

No harm to him but i dont think it was going to work out with us, as neither Davidson, MacLean, nor Levein, seem like theyd have given him as much time and support as Kettlewell has.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You can give any explanation you want for it, but him leaving in the Summer was the best move for everyone.

No harm to him but i dont think it was going to work out with us, as neither Davidson, MacLean, nor Levein, seem like theyd have given him as much time and support as Kettlewell has.

Fuckin annoying though would you not say............ :) 

5 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Fuckin annoying though would you not say............ :) 

Sums up the last few years nicely.

Like RG has said. You can't rewrite history. He was fairly terrible for Saints. 

I do think though a lot to do with his performances had a lot to do with how the management at the time tried coaching, playing and man-managing him. He often looked completely lost on the pitch. 

Whatever they were doing, it wasn't working. I'm sure we've all got opinions on how he and other players were approached by MacLean and Davidson but I imagine there wasn't much softly softly going on when aiming to motivate him. I also thought when he did feature there was a lot of "you're big so be physical" and then launching direct long high balls at him when it was fairly evident that wasn't and still isn't what gets the best out of him (albeit he did indeed need to do better with the physical attributes he does possess). We'll probably never know the full details though. 

He's not all of a sudden a world beater either but as everyone knows, there's a way to get the best out of someone. We did not achieve that and credit to him for his fairly good season so far. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Two strands to it for me. The first is that he's got a bit lucky at Motherwell in the sense they've had so many injuries that they've had little choice but to stick with him. That's not to give him credit for stepping up when he's had that break but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest he'd still be sitting on their bench if other guys had been available more often. Football is full of stories like this though.

On the idea there has always been a player in there, like others I really, really couldn't see it but worth remembering he seemed to morph into Robert Lewandowski whenever we played bounce games. So maybe Davidson and MacLean should have worked harder at persevering with him. The former just didn't do that though. The whole story around the signing of Bair just summed him up.

There dozens of examples of players not working out at one club but being absolute legends at another club. 

Better coaching? Better teammates? Each case will be different but it's something we've certainly seen. Usually it's us getting the benefit.

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

There dozens of examples of players not working out at one club but being absolute legends at another club. 

Better coaching? Better teammates? Each case will be different but it's something we've certainly seen. Usually it's us getting the benefit.

Bang on. Can’t think of many examples where players have left Saints after a very poor spell and gone on to better things, whereas I could name countless players who have been shite elsewhere and came to Saints and it’s just been the right fit and they’ve turned into a player.

On 13/02/2024 at 11:39, mizfit said:

Well, we are down to 2 double winners in the squad. Likely 1 or 0 in Summer. 

Time flies when you’re stuck in a seemingly endless purgatory. 

Especially when you think that after winning the cup in 2014 it took over four years for us to field a team in a competitive game without one of the Cup final team in it. And that was for a league cup game at Montrose.  In the league it was even longer. 

Bigger than I thought it was going to be’ - Former Hearts striker opens up on managerial sacking

Former Hearts striker Steven MacLean was sacked as manager of St Johnstone after a poor start to the season.

Former Hearts striker Steven MacLean has opened up about his time as St Johnstone head coach in his first interview since his departure in October.

The 41-year-old opened up about the challenges he faced during his five-month stint at McDiarmid Park and claimed that the summer rebuild proved to be a much bigger task than he had originally expected.

The former Scottish Cup winner replaced Callum Davidson as Saints boss in April and signed a three year contract with the club. He helped steer the Perth club to safety in his first few weeks in senior management.

During an interview with The Courier he reflected on the work that had to be done in the close-season against a backdrop of a big budget cut to address a seven-figure financial loss.

MacLean explained: “Keeping the club up was a great achievement for us and we then turned a lot of players round. I think 17 players left the club.

“It was a big job – probably bigger than I thought it was going to be. But it was a great opportunity for me and I probably wouldn’t change much apart from a couple of things.”

St Johnstone started the season in disastrous fashion with just four points from their opening nine games. They were beaten 2-0 by both Hearts and Hibs in the early part of the season.

The Saints were bottom of the table and without a league win at the time of MacLean’s departure. However, he remains optimistic that the club has enough to survive in the division.

“I think we were actually starting to progress in the right way. We had a lot of injuries in the first part of the season and we couldn’t build any momentum but I feel like I left them with a squad that’s capable of staying up in the league.

“Unfortunately it didn’t end well but I’ve learned a lot from that. I’ve looked back and studied some of the mistakes I made but also things I did well.

“I’ve got a lot of fond memories and whatever I do next, I feel I’ll be a better coach or manager for that spell. But hopefully I can get back in soon and make an impact.”

The 41-year-old enjoyed an 18-year career which saw him represent the likes of Rangers, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Hearts and Raith Rovers. He notably scored in the Scottish Cup final for St Johnstone against Dundee during a 2-0 victory in 2014 - marking the club’s first ever major trophy at the time.

He was included in the starting lineup for Hearts in the 2019 Scottish Cup final, but was unable to repeat the feat in a 2-1 loss to Celtic.

MacLean describes the last few months as his first real break from football in 25 years. He is enjoying time with his family but is still keen to be involved in football in the future.

21 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

“It was a big job – probably bigger than I thought it was going to be. But it was a great opportunity for me and I probably wouldn’t change much apart from a couple of things.”

He was assistant for 2 years no? Surely he wasn't that much out of the loop under Davidson because why would he underestimate how important last summer was?

27 minutes ago, Muirton Saint said:

He was assistant for 2 years no? Surely he wasn't that much out of the loop under Davidson because why would he underestimate how important last summer was?

Wonder if he means in terms of how difficult it was to bring decent players in on the budget he was set.

Taylor Steven sounds like hes absolutely flying at Alloa just now.

I really, really, hope we give him a chance again next season but he seems to play out wide there and we're of course allergic to wingers.

7 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Banter page lads demanding to know why we didn’t keep Scott Brown - a man who has played the majority of his career at Peterhead. Sometimes it’s hard to tell when they’re being serious.

I remember he had a belter v Luzern, and I got quite excited at him, but it just didn’t work out. 

Plus with the midfield at the time he’d have had to majorly stepped up to break in. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Taylor Steven sounds like hes absolutely flying at Alloa just now.

I really, really, hope we give him a chance again next season but he seems to play out wide there and we're of course allergic to wingers.

You are not wrong , that left foot of his is awesome 2 goals today 1 an absolute worldly just like his worldly last week ,some talent the boy has 

he has come on leaps and bounds here improving at a stellar pace . check out his goals on our youtube channel .

https://www.youtube.com/@AlloaAthleticFCTV

Edited by Vegetableman