Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He'd be expensive, based on what I think Salford play folk, and wouldn't add anything we need.

Would not disagree that he'd be asking for decent wages but if really wants to move back to Scotland his options will be limited.

Completely agree that we don't need him.

Is anyone else slightly concerned that we are 3 days away from the window closing and we have not been linked with anyone. Could be a sign that we’re getting on with things quietly but could also be we have nothing on the horizon. Interesting few days ahead that will definitely define our season 

At the start of the summer I was a bit frustrated with the way we were going about building a squad. Keeping McPherson but letting Gordon and McGowan go. Signing players who are projects like Cocks and McPake when I they should be signed last if budget allows, after the first team has been strengthened.

But Starting to have faith that Craig will pull a rabbit out of the hat at the last minute. Reckon there will be a few surprises in the same vein as Essel, Benji,  Raymond and Kirk, totally unproven but hungry.

Can’t see him splashing a big chunk of wages on one player. Think he will be thinking outside the box or in hearts youth team. Hopefully outside the box!

The PFA down south seem to have a free agency team playing bounce games, Alex Gorrin I'm sure was decent at Motherwell and Oxford as a sort of deeper lying but possession based midfielder? Also Charles Dunne who can cover left back and some kind of experience in the middle 

Jamal Blackman the notable keeper but I'm sure he's erratic af, Ravel Morrison and we can have an absolute shitebag/baller midfield 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kucheriavyi linked with Raith, so maybe see outgoings soon.

I think this would be maje or break for Max. I like him, but he needs to go out and have a very good Championship loan season, then come back and have a real impact in pre-season/league cup. 

I'm actually excited about the last few days of the window.  Reckon we're gonna be pleasantly surprised. 

42 minutes ago, Radford said:

They'd definitely have beaten us in the play-offs though.

No they would not. They were a spent force by the play offs and we were starting to score goals

Edited by Gas Minkey

1 minute ago, Radford said:

Our pal Peter suggesting Josh McPake and Connor Smith are available for loan.

That's the day peaked already.

Two terrible signings, which should have been obvious before pen was put to paper.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Two terrible signings, which should have been obvious before pen was put to paper.

I think the Smith transfer on paper made sense. Young talented player whose career was sort of plateauing a wee bit following a few loans. Really not worked out though.

McPake a real strange one, by all accounts the wage he’s on is ridiculously small, so perhaps was just Levein taking a chance on a total squad filler with little financial cost. 

5 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

I think the Smith transfer on paper made sense. Young talented player whose career was sort of plateauing a wee bit following a few loans. Really not worked out though.

McPake a real strange one, by all accounts the wage he’s on is ridiculously small, so perhaps was just Levein taking a chance on a total squad filler with little financial cost. 

Think this is pretty accurate. Smith was a decentish punt as he was in and around the hearts first team and worth the gamble. McPake is a bit stranger given the level he came from, but given his was in training for long enough, there must of been enough positive signs. I suspect the agreement would have been to sign on at a relatively low wage, get full time training, which benefited him, but for saints, gave a body for league cup and pre budgets being known by new owner and then an understanding on both sides that once the squad was settled, he'd be away on loan.

He'd have taken that as he got full time football and a chance to prove himself and for saints, a body that could play in the LC. Would imagine any loaning club could cover 100% of his wages.

To be fair to Levein, he is moving out the players we all thought needed moving on. May, Max, McPake and C Smith and so he can see what we can all see. 

Both had a logic.

Think they were still trying the two attacking midfielders beside a lone striker when Connor Smith signed, and that kind of role seems ideal for him. The fact we moved away from that system and he's too unreliable to play in CM, and isn't good enough to play up front, kind of made him redundant. He couldve forced his way in I think but never seemed bothered enough.

McPake seemed like a cheap squad filler to make sure we had someone who could play wide on the left and not be out of position, if it was needed. He'd done well enough at Stirling and had showed potential before to suggest he could be more, but again looks like hes just not up to it. The 2yr deal there weirder than the actual signing, i think.

Glad Leveins not blindly backing his own signings though, and will move them on quickly if they aren't performing. 

27 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Yeah I didn't anticipate just how poor, both talent and on-field attitude, that Smith would be

That both him and Max are being moved on and (I think, from memory) both were called out for poor attitudes around the Dundee away game last season, it should stand as a bit of a warning to others in the squad re indiscipline (Cunti MacPherson issue aside). 

3 hours ago, Radford said:

They'd definitely have beaten us.

Well, next season we can put that to the test as we will be in the Championship with them.

Max will probably be fine there..

On 21/08/2024 at 09:27, Radford said:

When the window shuts we are looking at?

DFs/WBs
Raymond
Cameron
Saunders
Wright
Keltjens
McClelland (INJ)
Franczak
New CB
New LB

MFs
MacPherson
Carey
Essel
M Smith
Sprangler
McPake
New MF

FWs
Clark
Sidibeh
Kirk
Kimpioka
Ikpeazu

OUT
May
Kucheriavyi (?)
Steven
C Smith
Ferguson
Parker
Olufunwa

Add McPake to the bottom list now and probably Sinclair as a keeper seems inevitable after the weekend.

Would leave only 15 or 16 outfield players ahead of new arrivals.

Posted (edited)

Why are we in the perpetual position of having to shift tonnes of shite out of the squad? It must be about 35 players out over the last 16 months or so and that list Radford has put together (not including the unproven/promising youngsters) is utterly galling. It also doesn't include Cammy f**king MacPherson. 

Edit: or Sprangler who seems to have shat in Levein's oatmeal 

Edited by Kyle