Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Is Anderson effectively gone or is there a chance he comes back in January?

Season long loan and his contract expires at the end.

Assume theres a way we could get him back in January if hes willing.

Hes not the answer but hes closer to it, so its surely got to be done.

Season long loan and his contract expires at the end.
Assume theres a way we could get him back in January if hes willing.
Hes not the answer but hes closer to it, so its surely got to be done.
All three parties need to agree.

The same basis on which you can also send an SOS to David McMillan.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

All three parties need to agree.

The same basis on which you can also send an SOS to David McMillan.

Surely it's on a deal by deal basis?

Hopefully all we do with McMillan in January is finally get someone to take him away permanently. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Surely it's on a deal by deal basis?

Hopefully all we do with McMillan in January is finally get someone to take him away permanently. 

Na think it was a rule change so player and both clubs must agree in order to terminate a loan. Thats not to say there couldnt be a deal between the clubs at signing to set the terms of course.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Na think it was a rule change so player and both clubs must agree in order to terminate a loan. Thats not to say there couldnt be a deal between the clubs at signing to set the terms of course.

Fair enough, it wouldnt surprise me at all if we've not negotiated a way to get him back.

Even just his influence around the team would be helpful, Jason Kerr is literally leading the entire defence on the pitch and off it. Hes not ready for that.

How many of our squad are folk happy with? 

Clark - erratic, it’s his area but he doesn’t/can’t command it. Good enough.

Ralston - tries but not as good as Foster. Not good enough.

Duffy - young lad, completely exposed, no idea if he’s any good.

Kerr - lost his way. Good enough.

Tanser - regressed, but look what’s beside/in front of him. Good enough.

Gordon - shame about his injury, committed and vocal. Good enough.

Vihmann - good bye.

Anderson - not the future but presence might have helped a little. Good enough.

Booth - no idea, what does he look like?

McCann - won’t be here long, sadly. Too good.

Davidson - WYSIWYG. Good enough.

Craig - been cast aside for Goss and now Holt. Bad management. Good enough.

Wotherspoon - doesn’t always come off for him but works hard. Good enough.

Holt - In a team that has to work. No time on the ball to look about and play like at Rangers. Not good enough for where we are. Goss Mk II.

Wright - not recovered and not recaptured his form from early last season. Understandable. Good enough.

Kennedy - selfish at times, gets frustrated. Can make things happen. Good enough.

O’Halloran - not involved enough to say much about currently. Good enough.

Swanson - good in spells, not involved enough to say. Good enough.

Callachan - committed but out of the picture.

Kane - as a striker no, but as a forward works hard and presses well. Good enough.

Hendry - has had an impact at times. Good enough.

May - from what I’ve seen I’m disappointed but also don’t play him as a lone striker - that’s unforgivable. Good enough.

MacMillan - showed early promise but faded.

Mostly good enough individual players but altogether not good enough currently as a unit.

Too weak, too slow, little threat, easily concede.

Good enough means as a player for Saints. Doesn’t mean their form is good or that I’d keep them. Some of them won’t last forever. Too many midfielders. Strikers good enough but at the same time not good enough. No idea who we could sign to improve things up front.

Defence aside - we all know about the defence - I don’t think the manager is getting the best out of the squad.

Subject to certain improvements should be good enough to just avoid relegation this season.

If we’d got the players who went elsewhere we might be where Motherwell are.

10 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Bring back Ando.

Jesus no, unless it's as a coach. Bringing back crocked players that have previously been successful, AKA the May gambit, has not given us a good return rate. 

We need to be looking at players who are fit and ready to go immediately after the winter break. A centre back, a striker, and play 3 at the back and Tanser/Ralston as wing-backs. 

The key is actually spending the money, not relying on getting folk off our books. Proper players, proper wages, on contracts until the summer ideally with a no-relegation bonus. 

I would hope that would give us just enough to avoid dropping down, and use the summer to re-group and re-think.  

25 minutes ago, andrewh said:

Defence aside - we all know about the defence - I don’t think the manager is getting the best out of the squad.

I'm a little worried that this might be as good as they actually are. Ralston is too raw and keen to get forward, it looks like Tanser after showing a season of improvement has found his level, Duffy and Estonia are just rubbish and Kerr's head's gone. 

From the current bunch I'd keep Kennedy, McCann, Davidson, Tanser, Gordon, Wright.

Jury's out on  Spoony, Ralston, MOH, Clark, Hendry .... possibly May

Won't comment on Paris or Booth and the rest I would bin TBH, although for a couple that would be difficult. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

11 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I'm a little worried that this might be as good as they actually are. Ralston is too raw and keen to get forward, it looks like Tanser after showing a season of improvement has found his level, Duffy and Estonia are just rubbish and Kerr's head's gone. 

From the current bunch I'd keep Kennedy, McCann, Davidson, Tanser, Gordon, Wright.

Jury's out on  Spoony, Ralston, MOH, Clark, Hendry .... possibly May

Won't comment on Paris or Booth and the rest I would bin TBH, although for a couple that would be difficult. 

Think that's harsh. Folk like Clark and Kerr are having stinking seasons but theyve shown they can play at this level to a competent degree.

If you ignore how bad some have been this season, I'd be...

Absolute Keep: Clark, Kerr, Gordon, Tanser, Wotherspoon, MOH, Wright, McCann, Craig, Davidson, Kennedy - All players I'd say are top flight standard and good enough for the squad.

Jurys out: Parish, Callachan, Holt, Swanson, Kane, Hendry, May - Parish has looked shite whenever I've seen him, but hasnt really played behind a decent defence. Callachan but has some qualities you probably need in midfield sometimes, Kane the same but up front. Holt doesnt fit all but has something. Hendry has moments but doesnt seem to perform when he does start. May hasnt shown top flight quality for years and has just continued on that path, has zero confidence in himself which might be causing that. Swanson I've no idea what to think.

Punt instantly: Vihmann, Duffy, Ralston - None of them look even close to top flight standard.

Who knows: Booth - Does he exist?

Punt the three, punt Booth, punt Holt, punt Swanson, sign a starting RB and CB, see where that takes us.

Feels like absolute desperation either way.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Jesus no, unless it's as a coach. Bringing back crocked players that have previously been successful, AKA the May gambit, has not given us a good return rate. 

We need to be looking at players who are fit and ready to go immediately after the winter break. A centre back, a striker, and play 3 at the back and Tanser/Ralston as wing-backs. .  

Anderson has played almost every game this season for Raith. He'll be match fit in January. He's literally exactly the profile we are looking for (experienced/match fit/settle quickly).

I don't think hes up to it any more, but it seems an absolute no brainer to get him back in January to supplement the defence for the final 6 months. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Anderson has played almost every game this season for Raith. He'll be match fit in January. He's literally exactly the profile we are looking for (experienced/match fit/settle quickly).

I don't think hes up to it any more, but it seems an absolute no brainer to get him back in January to supplement the defence for the final 6 months. 

You know what, that's a fair point. I'm only thinking of the tail-end games he had for us when he looked shot. 

As you say if he's been training and playing full-time then he's worth a shot. Almost nothing can be worse than Duffy and it might help Kerr recapture form and or/supplement Gordon. Honestly think Ralston would be fine as a wing-back, he's a younger Tanser. Tanser's a good wing-back and a poor to average full back. 

A back 3 of Kerr, Anderson and Gordon would, surely to f**k, stop us leaking easy goals 

Just now, Valentino Bolognese said:

You know what, that's a fair point. I'm only thinking of the tail-end games he had for us when he looked shot. 

As you say if he's been training and playing full-time then he's worth a shot. Almost nothing can be worse than Duffy and it might help Kerr recapture form and or/supplement Gordon. Honestly think Ralston would be fine as a wing-back, he's a younger Tanser. Tanser's a good wing-back and a poor to average full back. 

A back 3 of Kerr, Anderson and Gordon would, surely to f**k, stop us leaking easy goals 

Want the bad news? I dont think we can recall Anderson, Raiths statement when he signed includes chat about them thanking the fans for helping fund the deal. If they've already paid the money up front for the season long deal, then it's up to them to end it.