Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
30 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:
What happened to the striker [mention=54832]perthsaint1977[/mention] was talking about who was at Wednesdays game? 

Obviously not happening.

If it’s not happening can you say who it was ? 

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

That’s fair enough but it seems a bit silly to sign players on loan for a few months if they’re not going straight into the first team. Butcher is at least out of contract so may be this is an extended trial but what’s the value in signing Jones? We already have Swanson, O’Halloran, Wright, Wotherspoon and even Tanser who can be used as wingers/impact subs for that position. Big ask for us to replace Kennedy, I get that. 

Best of luck to the guy but I was hoping for experience in this window. It’s what the manager said he wanted and we’ve ended up signing two 22 year olds and a 20 year old. 

I can’t remember us ever having as many as 5 loanees in a squad before. 

Swanson would be aswell off that list, rightly or wrongly. Wotherspoon playing well central likely means thats his role now.

Ignore Swanson and we have Holt, McCann, Craig, Wotherspoon and MOH as available midfielders for Saturday before we signed anyone. I'll dare to suggest Drey Wrights injury might be worse than a simple 10 day lay off.

Just now, The Real Saints said:

What would you describe Michael O’Halloran as? He is hardly lacking in pace. When Kennedy left the club, I thought ‘At least we’ve got a more regular amount of wingers now.’ We were looking top-heavy and we’re hardly crying out for a quality winger. Jones may be very good, I’m not doubting that. But do we need a ‘different option’ currently when we’ve already got the likes of O’Halloran, Wright, Swanson and Wotherspoon who can all play on the wings when required?

As above. Either MOH or Wright gets injured, as we had this week with both injured, then our wide options are down to Wotherspoon and Swanson. Wotherspoon has been great central, and Swanson is clearly finished here.

Can you see why hes wanted to bring a pacey winger in?

Just now, Kyle said:

That’s fair enough but it seems a bit silly to sign players on loan for a few months if they’re not going straight into the first team. Butcher is at least out of contract so may be this is an extended trial but what’s the value in signing Jones? We already have Swanson, O’Halloran, Wright, Wotherspoon and even Tanser who can be used as wingers/impact subs for that position. Big ask for us to replace Kennedy, I get that. 

Best of luck to the guy but I was hoping for experience in this window. It’s what the manager said he wanted and we’ve ended up signing two 22 year olds and a 20 year old. 

I can’t remember us ever having as many as 5 loanees in a squad before. 

Jones on the left and MOH as a right forward / winger in a 4-4-2, Wright as a possible RW and 1st choice RWB if we stick with the 3 at the back. Tanser similar but on the other side. 

Spoony is better in the middle and Danny's not getting sniff for whatever reason. 

That all makes sense to me TBH. Problem with JOnes is the OF money has probably turned his head. If he would play for our wage and properly commit, I'd have him in a heartbeat. 

Also, I haven’t seen anyone on here claiming that they expect us to sign a big name. No idea where that assertion has come from or why people are getting annoyed about something which doesn’t seem to have occurred.

No one said big name but have a look at social media where the reactions are “who?” And “never played a senior game” What do you deduce these people would like?

Even Zinedine Zidane was once a gangly young 19 year old. Folk actually turning there noses up before even giving them a chance are the worst kind.

Who are turning their noses up? Your post suggests that people are unsatisfied with this transfer because they don’t think he’ll be any good. Nobody has said that.

If I was given the choice of a winger who is similar or slightly better than the numerous options we already have (I believe that the wings are our strongest area currently) or a below-average striker like Curtis Main who provides something a bit different from our existing options, I would choose the latter as I feel that is what our squad requires more at this stage in time.

St Johnstone have made two signings today but it looks like it could be their final business of the day.

Matt Butcher and Isaiah Jones joined on loan from Bournemouth and Middlesbrough.

They might still push something through if someone becomes available in the final couple of hours of the window but it looks unlikely that Tommy Wright will be adding to his squad again.

11 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

When Kennedy left the club, I thought ‘At least we’ve got an appropriate amount of wingers now.’ We were looking top-heavy and we’re hardly crying out for a quality winger. Jones may be very good, I’m not doubting that. But do we need a ‘different option’ currently when we’ve already got the likes of O’Halloran, Wright, Swanson and Wotherspoon who can all play on the wings when required?

I was kind of hoping for a striker who provides a bit more presence in the final third, considering the amount of good crosses we’ve put into the box without any tangible reward. Not necessarily an outstanding player. Just someone who could pose a different kind of threat off the bench.

I was hoping for a big striker who was good in the air to do something with the crosses from our loads of wingers.

No one said big name but have a look at social media where the reactions are “who?” And “never played a senior game” What do you deduce these people would like?

Fair enough. I thought it was a reference to the supporters on P&B. I have stopped paying attention to Saints fans on Twitter or WAP. It just annoys me too much.

8 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Jones on the left and MOH as a right forward / winger in a 4-4-2, Wright as a possible RW and 1st choice RWB if we stick with the 3 at the back. Tanser similar but on the other side. 

Spoony is better in the middle and Danny's not getting sniff for whatever reason. 

That all makes sense to me TBH. Problem with JOnes is the OF money has probably turned his head. If he would play for our wage and properly commit, I'd have him in a heartbeat. 

I'm on a fucking roll tonight. Thought the chat was Jordan Jones because of all the twitter chat, not this Isiah chap. 

Half an eye on the Ayr Utd game, half an eye on Saints transfer 'news', and a bit of Friday destress does not make for coherent posts. 

3 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Who are turning their noses up? Your post suggests that people are unsatisfied with this transfer because they don’t think he’ll be any good. Nobody has said that.

If I was given the choice of a winger who is similar or slightly better than the numerous options we already have (I believe that the wings are our strongest area currently) or a below-average striker like Curtis Main who provides something a bit different from our existing options, I would choose the latter as I feel that is what our squad requires more at this stage in time.

Totally agree

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

If I was given the choice of a winger who is similar or slightly better than the numerous options we already have, or a below-average striker like Curtis Main who provides something a bit different from our existing options, I would choose the latter as I feel that is what our squad requires more at this stage in time.

I'm honestly baffled you think we need Curtis Main, a striker who can't score a goal to save himself, to add to Hendry, May and Kane, rather than a winger to compete with Wright and MOH.

Put Wotherspoon in as a CM, and our midfield depth is...

CM: Holt, Davidson, McCann, Craig, Wotherspoon, Butcher

WM: Wright, MOH, Jones

How can you look at that and say you'd be fine taking Jones out?

I'm honestly baffled you think we need Curtis Main, a striker who can't score a goal to save himself, to add to Hendry, May and Kane, rather than a winger to compete with Wright and MOH.

Put Wotherspoon in as a CM, and our midfield depth is...

CM: Holt, Davidson, McCann, Craig, Wotherspoon, Butcher

WM: Wright, MOH, Jones

How can you look at that and say you'd be fine taking Jones out?

Please stop talking in extremes. There is no need to remove Danny Swanson from our list of WMs in order to make your point seem better, nor is there any need to discount the fact that Wotherspoon has regularly played in wide positions for us and is perfectly capable of doing so. You’re telling me, at the start of proceedings today, you thought to yourself, ‘I’m particularly hoping for a winger in the next 24 hours’? With all due respect, I doubt it. You’re fooling yourself if you think that our wingers are a higher cause for concern than our strikeforce.

Curtis Main was just a random example of the fact that I would forgo a higher-quality incoming winger for an incoming striker who isn’t as good.

2 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Please stop talking in extremes. There is no need to remove Danny Swanson from our list of WMs in order to make your point seem better, nor is there any need to discount the fact that Wotherspoon has regularly played in wide positions for us and is perfectly capable of doing so. You’re telling me, at the start of proceedings today, you thought to yourself, ‘I’m particularly hoping for a winger in the next 24 hours’? With all due respect, I doubt it. You’re fooling yourself if you think that our wingers are a higher cause of concern than our strikeforce.

Curtis Main was just an example of the fact that I would forgo a higher-quality incoming winger for an incoming striker who isn’t as good.

I wanted a striker who would improve on what we had.

Failing that as close to a replacement for Kennedy as we could get.

By the final week of the window, considering TW said last week his top targets had all signed elsewhere, you'd need to pay mega money (for us) to sign the first. I see no value signing a Fallon/Sutton/Iwelumo type.

For all you know Watt has already agreed terms and we're just waiting on his papers coming through confirming his release from Sofia, and he'll sign next week, so the club have decided to get a cheap backup winger in to help cover for injuries.

Edited by RandomGuy.

For all you know Watt has already agreed terms and we're just waiting on his papers coming through confirming his release from Sofia, and he'll sign next week, so the club have decided to get a cheap backup winger in to help cover for injuries.

Yes, which is exactly what I stated in my first post. If we plan to sign a striker as well, it isn’t an issue. If this is our sole attacking signing, it might be. I have no issue with bringing in a young, talented winger in those circumstances.