Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

If we plan to sign a striker as well, it isn’t an issue. If this is our sole attacking signing, it might be.

Yes, but I'm trying to tell you that there wasn't any striker available and willing who'd improve on what we have, so the club have had to move on to other targets who'd maybe help improve things in other areas, rather than sign an absolute huddy of a striker.

For some reason you've decided Curtis Main would be an acceptable signing, which maybe signals this conversation should come to end.

Yes, but I'm trying to tell you that there wasn't any striker available and willing who'd improve on what we have, so the club have had to move on to other targets who'd maybe help improve things in other areas, rather than sign an absolute huddy of a striker.

In that case, I’d maybe suggest that the club should have held out until after the transfer window closed before seeing if any acceptable strikers became available, rather than panicking and spunking their remaining load on an unnecessary winger, thereby rendering that possibility null and void.

Anyway, I doubt the scenario you’ve drawn up there is what has actually happened. I remain hopeful that a striker will be on his way at some point.

You’ve missed my Curtis Main point, so I won’t bother dignifying that final sentence with a response.

Just now, The Real Saints said:

In that case, I’d maybe suggest that the club should have held out until after the transfer window closed before seeing if any acceptable strikers became available, rather than panicking and spunking their remaining load on an unnecessary winger, thereby rendering that possibility null and void.

Anyway, I doubt the scenario you’ve drawn up there is what has actually happened. I remain hopeful that a striker will be on his way at some point.

You’ve missed my Curtis Main point, so I won’t bother dignifying that final sentence with a response.

I just don't see how you can believe any decent striker is going to be a free agent in February. Tony Watt is the exception but the club will know what hes wanting by now.

I'm downgrading this window to a 5/10. 

McCart, happy with but it's another young CB. Rooney (confirmed?) PCA is fine, but is he going to be our starting RB next season? Hendry re-sign is good news. 

Not unhappy with Butcher or not-Jordan Jones, but as loans they are meh. Why bother with loans when you're in a relegation fight unless they are real upgrades?

The fact the Dunfermline think they can refuse an offer of £250k for Neesbeet, while we ship Matty Kennedy for (apparently) £70k, is utterly demoralising.

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

The fact the Dunfermline think they can refuse an offer of £250k for Neesbeet, while we ship Matty Kennedy for (apparently) £70k, is utterly demoralising.

Kennedy had already signed for Aberdeen and we needed that money to sign players this window.

Nisbet is under contract for another 18 months and Dunfermline are utterly fucked if he leaves.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kennedy had already signed for Aberdeen and we needed that money to sign players this window.

Nisbet is under contract for another 18 months and Dunfermline are utterly fucked if he leaves.

I know that, but you know exactly what I mean about Kennedy. 

And they are not 'utterly fucked' if he leaves. If he stays they might make the playoffs. If he leaves they might finish 8th or 9th, but with a lot more cash in the bank and think of what £250k would have bought them for the Championship. 

I just don't see how you can believe any decent striker is going to be a free agent in February. Tony Watt is the exception but the club will know what hes wanting by now.

It would be awfully coincidental if Tony Watt was the ONLY exception in the whole wide world. There will be numerous options. Some might not want to come to us. Some might not be good enough. We might not be able to attract the striker we want. Maybe we will, maybe we won’t. All I’m saying is, if your hypothetical scenario is correct, that possibility has vanished because we have signed another winger. In that case, I’d rather just go without the winger and keep our options open for other areas of the park.

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I know that, but you know exactly what I mean about Kennedy. 

And they are not 'utterly fucked' if he leaves. If he stays they might make the playoffs. If he leaves they might finish 8th or 9th, but with a lot more cash in the bank and think of what £250k would have bought them for the Championship. 

£250k would buy them nothing today. Its too late in the day. The Kennedy deal gave us time.

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

It would be awfully coincidental if Tony Watt was the ONLY exception in the whole wide world. There will be numerous options. Some might not want to come to us. Some might not be good enough. We might not be able to attract the striker we want. Maybe we will, maybe we won’t. All I’m saying is, if your hypothetical scenario is correct, that possibility has vanished because we have signed another winger.

We disagree. I'd rather we sign another winger as the manager clearly only seems to see MOH, Wright, and sometimes Wotherspoon, as options there. You don't, we're just wasting each others time now I think as both of us will feel right.

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark (27) -2022

12. Elliot Parish (29) – 2021

48. Max Johnstone (20) -2020

45. Ross Sinclair (18) – 2021 ­­

Defenders

2. Wallace Duffy (20) -2021

21. Anthony Ralston (20) – 2020 – on loan from Celtic

23. Liam Gordon (23) - 2021

15. Jason Kerr (22) 

4. Jamie McCart (22) - 2022

3. Scott Tanser (24) – 2021

24. Callum Booth (28) – 2020

Midfielders

7. Drey Wright (24) - 2020

10. David Wotherspoon (29) - 2021

8. Murray Davidson (31) - 2020 + 1

26. Liam Craig (32) - 2020

19. Jason Holt (26) – 2020 – on loan from Rangers

18. Ali McCann (19) - 2023

16. Matt Butcher (22) - 2020 - on loan from Bournemouth

11. Danny Swanson (32) - 2020

??. Isaiah Jones (20) - 2020 - on loan from Middlesbrough

Forwards

9. Chris Kane (24) - 2020

17. Michael O'Halloran (28) – 2021

14. Stevie May (26) – 2021 + 1

22. Callum Hendry (21) - 2022

Here’s what is likely to be our squad going into the last few months of the season. 

Johnstone and maybe Swanson vulnerable to the old mutual termination? 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

£250k would buy them nothing today. Its too late in the day. The Kennedy deal gave us time.

Why do you do this? Clearly, for a Championship side, a quarter of a million (plus sell on) is a massive deal. They might miss the window but unless they are serious that they can get promoted (unlikely) or are shitting it about relegation (ditto), they should take it. It's not as if the boy has anything more than half a decent season in him. Blood pressure is high enough with Brexit tonight, no need to be so deliberately obtuse. The Kennedy deal we had little choice as despite what was said he wanted to move and that was that. 

In other news, wasn't impressed at all with Ayr tonight,  looks like it will be a niggly shitfest. Magic.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Pished spelling

8 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Why do you do this? Clearly, for a Championship side, a quarter of a million (plus sell on) is a massive deal. They might miss the window but unless they are serious that they can get promoted (unlikely) or are shitting it about relegation (ditto), they should take it. It's not as if the boy has anything more than half a decent season in him. Blood pressure is high enough with Brexit tonight, no need to be so deliberately obtuse. The Kennedy deal we had little choice as despite what was said he wanted to move and that was that. 

In other news, wasn't impressed at all with Ayr tonight,  looks like it will be a niggly shitfest. Magic.

Dunfermline have lost 5 of their last 6 games, and sit 5 points above the bottom spot.

Nisbet has scored 5 more goals than all their other goalscorers combined.

3 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Are you sure you don’t want Curtis Main? 

Please...

As much as he's still PROBABLY better than Kane. You can keep the bit baldy diddy. 

They both suffer a similar problem I think. Okay not great ability but better than they show regularly but major issue. Lack belief/confidence. 

5 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Please...

We'll sign him and punt the loanees.

As the old saying goes, better to sign someone guaranteed to fail, rather than someone who might not.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We'll sign him and punt the loanees.

As the old saying goes, better to sign someone guaranteed to fail, rather than someone who might not.

I think we've been thinking the same thing!!

People "upset" cause it's loans rather than perm signing. 

No risk signings imo are a win. Come in do well. We gain, they leave so be it. They're shite, were not stuck with them for 2 years. 

17 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Please...

Nah. He's shite admittedly and Tommy loves a shite striker but he's not old enough yet. 

He'll end up at Saints in about 10 years.

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I think we've been thinking the same thing!!

People "upset" cause it's loans rather than perm signing. 

No risk signings imo are a win. Come in do well. We gain, they leave so be it. They're shite, were not stuck with them for 2 years. 

Only risk is if they completely bomb, squad won't have been improved really.

Honestly though, If I had a choice of McCart, Butcher and Jones on the deals theyre on, or say Berra, Main and MacLean permanently, I think I'd pick this option.

Summer overhaul has already started with McCart and Rooney. Butcher on trial virtually but that could be a 3rd. If we'd lumbered ourselves with more deadweight we'd be in this same situation in 6/12 months.