Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd have Hendry before I'd have Stevie May or Chris Kane tbh. I wouldn't be overjoyed about it, but well, for the money you pay May, you don't get much for your buck other than he's a cult hero of yours and Kane is absolutely gash.

:lol:

I'd have Hendry before I'd have Stevie May or Chris Kane tbh. I wouldn't be overjoyed about it, but well, for the money you pay May, you don't get much for your buck other than he's a cult hero of yours and Kane is absolutely gash.

You'd have any Saints cast off you could get your hands on.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Is that Real Madrid or you Marly looking like a right peado?

What I want to know is who's reflection is he seeing?

Thanks for the vote of confidence , I wasjust checking out the last time a certain team from Tayside we last engraved on a national cup.

The reflection will be Chris Logan the social media photographer who took the picture on Saturday after the game, the cup is technically in the amber zone so we had to wear masks and no one was allowed to touch it.

Hopefully soon there will be an opportunity for all fans to get their picture taken with the cup soon.

Edited by realmadrid

Giving Dundee fans a choice between our top scoring first choice, who helped us to a Cup, or our non-scoring 4th choice, and them choosing the worst option, is less surprising that it probably should be.

Wild.

The thread on the tenents sixes resurfacing made me go and look up highlights on you tube for some bizarre reason.

For anyone who hasn’t had their fill of Perth pumping Edinburgh in semi finals, go to 32:15. The final is immediately after.

Probably been discussed before, but did any Saints fans on here go through? 

Saints wearing our best away shirt of all time, the Inter Milan style one, but with the home shorts for some reason against two sides also in white shorts.

Excluding Brown’s loan to sign Billy Dodds a year or two later, this must be about the most expensively assembled Saints squad of all time:

Paul Wright £285,000, John Davies £165,000, John Inglis £115,000, Tommy Turner £100,000, Harry Curran £50,000, Vinny Arkins £40,000 plus others I’ve probably missed.

Bit mental to think of the top players in the country playing in an indoor 6-a-side competition mid-season these days, but it’d be a great way to fill the winter break if we’re sticking with one.

10 minutes ago, Widge said:

I'm just imagining how good David Wotherspoon would be on a pitch that size, sending players and breaking ankles left right and centre!

It'd be great to see.  Davie Cooper's ability shone through constantly in some of the games I saw.  He destroyed Airdrie in a semi final in the highlights below.  

That year and we also played Hearts in the semi final. Went to penalties, and eventually lost in sudden death. Looked a decent Saints support through as well, and the players were all right into it going by reactions.

37 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

By the looks of it, it was played in January 1992, so I was still 1 month from being born.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

The thread on the tenents sixes resurfacing made me go and look up highlights on you tube for some bizarre reason.

For anyone who hasn’t had their fill of Perth pumping Edinburgh in semi finals, go to 32:15. The final is immediately after.

Saints wearing our best away shirt of all time, the Inter Milan style one, but with the home shorts for some reason against two sides also in white shorts.

Excluding Brown’s loan to sign Billy Dodds a year or two later, this must be about the most expensively assembled Saints squad of all time:

Paul Wright £285,000, John Davies £165,000, John Inglis £115,000, Tommy Turner £100,000, Harry Curran £50,000, Vinny Arkins £40,000 plus others I’ve probably missed.

Bit mental to think of the top players in the country playing in an indoor 6-a-side competition mid-season these days, but it’d be a great way to fill the winter break if we’re sticking with one.

I was there. I think the school went. It was a great event all round.

Those Sunday afternoons with the Sixes on TV were magical. Did the teams go back on the Monday night for the finals, or were they just the Sunday night? Well past my bedtime in any case by the time it came on TV. 

It was an era when our coverage wasn't saturated so was a real treat. Saints always did pretty well too, always reached the semi-finals and got to the final in 1992.

1 minute ago, Radford said:

Those Sunday afternoons with the Sixes on TV were magical. Did the teams go back on the Monday night for the finals, or were they just the Sunday night? Well past my bedtime in any case by the time it came on TV. 

It was an era when our coverage wasn't saturated so was a real treat. Saints always did pretty well too, always reached the semi-finals and got to the final in 1992.

I went one year & was 3 sessions. Sunday afternoon & evening then Monday night.

Teams were split in 2 on Sunday so you would play your group & then final group game on Monday then semis & final I think.

The very first one was in 1984, which Saints were part of. Held at the Coasters Arena in Falkirk, whatever that was. 

Looks like Saints went out on the toss of a coin or some such nonsense as both ourselves and Motherwell finished second in our groups with a zero GD and 5 goals scored. We lost 3-2 to Rangers and beat Hibs by the same scoreline.

In the mid-eighties, they had Man City and Forest taking part when clubs pulled out. Imagine Cloughie at the Sixes. Skelping kids with rattles, the whole shebang. 

10 minutes ago, Radford said:

Cloughie would definitely have brought Larry Lloyd to a Sixes competition. @PauloPerth

Would have been great to see.  I didn’t know there was an earlier version of the tournament.

Watching some of the highlights where a player gets pinned on the boards and an opponent comes right through them to take the ball is very reminiscent of 5’s at Bells.  You wonder what a South American brought up on futsal or Futbol de salao which produced the likes of Ronaldinho would have made of our version of indoor football.

Though the Motherwell karate kick straight into the jaw of Airdrie’s Davie Kirkwood in the first minute of the 1991 semi final is art in itself. Just after 38:08 below..