Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, DC92 said:

On the topic of finished 30-somethings, I did hear some chat that Gary Mackay-Steven is a target for you guys.

Kindly take that chat and f**k off right into the Forth! We've started the day badly, don't make it any worse please.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And TW was great at removing the "mentors" to give young players a chance to breathe and grow when they deserved it, not bringing in over 30s to keep players in their 20s out the side.

And this is where the challenge is and why 2 year + deals for folk over 30 don't make sense. It's knowing when to chuck the experienced guys in and when you need to be bringing through the younger guys. 

Relegated with Dundee and United. In fact, his parent club, Bradford City got relegated the year he was there as well, although he ended it on loan at Dundee.

Also relegated with Ayr United in his career.

Edited by Radford

As someone who has supported Saints for more years than I can remember, you get to know a fair amount of Saints fans as well as board members and employees past and present. I'd say of the ones I've spoken to over the last few months it's over 90% that want him out. I'd also add that the majority aren't your facebook banter page types and it really pains them to admit that about a player as likeable as Callum was and who is also a double cup winning manager. Times up pal, just go.

20 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

And this is where the challenge is and why 2 year + deals for folk over 30 don't make sense. It's knowing when to chuck the experienced guys in and when you need to be bringing through the younger guys. 

Who are the experienced players even mentoring?

Carey and Max is fine, but whos learning off Considine/McGowan? Whos learning off Muzz? 

Our "inexperienced" squad members are generally into their mid-20s now. Max is our only outfield player under 22.

If Davidson can’t be arsed to recruit properly, or to actually try and improve the team on the pitch, not sure I can be arsed even getting angry about it at this stage. 

Clearly a terrible signing. Nothing positive to take as it likely means Mahon or Cleary are about to be sidelined on top of the fact McGowan has been pretty rubbish for years now. 

Just get Davidson out of the club. Why he’s being allowed to destroy the squad even more when it’s abundantly clear he’s not a manager is completely beyond me. Whole club is just half arsed at this point from the board down. That’s not to say individuals who work within the club don’t give their all and don’t care, but they’ll no doubt be doing about 50 different jobs and won’t be able to give their all to anything. 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Who are the experienced players even mentoring?

Carey and Max is fine, but whos learning off Considine/McGowan? Whos learning off Muzz? 

Our "inexperienced" squad members are generally into their mid-20s now. Max is our only outfield player under 22.

Considine can mentor McGowan. 

9 minutes ago, low-life said:

Saw a few pages back talk of Cleary having a headsgone against Elgin. What did he do?

Was against Annan. 

They were trying the usual, slow the game down. Create a bit of handbags at every opportunity in the hope that someone bites and gets sent off. He fell for it and in an incident he wasn't even involved in grabbed someone around the throat area. Annan player then hit the deck, 15 squirms later he died before coming back to life with what can only be described as a miraculous recovery. 

So we had to play an hour with 10 men. (still should have won). 

Cleary has looked likely to have a moment like that for a while. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Was against Annan. 

They were trying the usual, slow the game down. Create a bit of handbags at every opportunity in the hope that someone bites and gets sent off. He did exactly that and in an incident he wasn't even involved in grabbed someone around the throat area. Annan player then hit the deck. did 15 squirms and died before coming back to life with what can only be described as a miraculous recovery. 

So we had to play an hour with 10 men. (still should have won). 

Cleary has looked likely to have a moment like that for a while. 

Ah ok thanks, makes sense. I must have read it after the Elgin game then.

Aye Cleary and Rooney especially last season looked like they wanted to throttle each other every few minutes. I don't mind having someone with a bit of bite and aggression in the team, far from it, but it needs to be channelled correctly. Cleary is obviously a hot head who needs to learn not to get wound up. That being said we've let teams bully us for seasons now, so if it toughens us up, so be it.

7 minutes ago, Widge said:

Aye Cleary and Rooney especially last season looked like they wanted to throttle each other every few minutes. I don't mind having someone with a bit of bite and aggression in the team, far from it, but it needs to be channelled correctly. Cleary is obviously a hot head who needs to learn not to get wound up. That being said we've let teams bully us for seasons now, so if it toughens us up, so be it.

At the time it was hard to spot what was going on and with lack of any highlights or replay its difficult to confirm but I wondered was something done to a teammate or said during the handbags that triggered the reaction? While i'm not condoning it, SURELY he doesn't just grab someone around the throat for completely no reason?

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

28 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If Davidson can’t be arsed to recruit properly, or to actually try and improve the team on the pitch, not sure I can be arsed even getting angry about it at this stage. 

Exactly how I felt when I read it last night - just laughed and put my phone down. Unless Liam Gordon’s injury is worse than originally feared (despite Davidson saying otherwise on Tuesday) or there’s a fresh concern, the fact that somebody at the club has sanctioned this is slightly worrying. 

I think the worst thing about Davidson is he makes me feel like a suitable candidate for manager. I genuinely feel like I could do a better job than him. 

I've never really felt that way about a Saints manager before. We've had poor managers, but we've never endorsed complete strategic and tactical incompetence before, at least not in my lifetime. 

The only reason he remains in place is because the club is concerned about PR and contractual obligations. I doubt those concerns will disappear over the course of the season.