Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

My happiest moment as a Saints fan since the European games was believing that he was about to f**k off.

Please don't take that away from me.

Agreed. Was genuinely excited for the first time in a long time. 

All my friends I go to games with all saying they're not renewing. Its heading towards the beginning of the end of the group. All Davidson created. 

5 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I didnt even look out for the full time score today. 

If we play County up here I'll go but that will be my only game until the end of the season if Davidson is still in charge.

I live up here too mate.

Didn't go to the ICT game or the County game. First time in my life I've consciously decided against it.

Been scunnered with Davidson since Kelty. Simply cannot support him at all.

5 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Was thinking about when we last sacked a manager?

Connolly was at end of season & IIRC most fans would have let him continue.

Stark, contract expired at end of season.

So last manager we sacked when season was live was Clark? Who's son now plays for us.

We sacked Connolly with a few games to go I’m sure, I think we had Coyle in place for the last couple of matches 

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We sacked Connolly with a few games to go I’m sure, I think we had Coyle in place for the last couple of matches 

Coyle had the last 3 which I don’t think we registered a win. From memory Jim Weir was the Caretaker after Connolly got punted.

You could potentially argue that Geoff Brown hasn't sacked a manager when the season has been live since he punted Totten.

McClelland technically resigned I think and Ian Dewar was in charge when Clark was dispensed with. Stark and Connolly have been covered.

Mental. Owned the club for 37 years and only sacked one manager himself when the season has been in any way relevant.

It's mental how many fans from other teams think that Cal hasn't been backed financially and operates on a tiny budget. 

If this is the perception I reckon he's guaranteed at least one more decentish job in Scotland. 

49 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

It's mental how many fans from other teams think that Cal hasn't been backed financially and operates on a tiny budget. 

If this is the perception I reckon he's guaranteed at least one more decentish job in Scotland. 

Most of that is probably based on Alan Preston's unbiased punditry on Sportsound. 

On that subject it's absolutely mental that he gets to work as their agent then publicly sell them on the BBC where he than has and continues to personally financially benefit.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The more interviews he does, the less im convinced.

But theres no way he can make those comments after that performance, and this run of form, and the players arent turning against him on that bus ride home. 

The interview of a man who is going nowhere yet has no future 

5 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Most of that is probably based on Alan Preston's unbiased punditry on Sportsound. 

On that subject it's absolutely mental that he gets to work as their agent then publicly sell them on the BBC where he than has and continues to personally financially benefit.

He’s a p***k of the highest order 

I still find the Connolly sacking statement eerily similar to what i expect the Davidson one to look like.

First-round exits in the CIS Cup and Scottish Cup and a current league position which does not yet see us out of the woods as far as relegation is concerned is a cause for great concern," Brown told his club's website.

"Perhaps more significantly, we had 300 season tickets holders who didn't turn up for the last home game and that tells its own story.

"John tried hard and brought in a lot of players, but unfortunately he has not had success in getting a settled team together and the performances since Christmas have been very poor.

"That said, there are a number of good players at the club and that is thanks to John."

Connolly had been lauded by Saints fans after playing for the club during perhaps their most successful period, from 1967 until 1972.

But he was in charge for 39 matches - the second shortest reign of any Saints manager.

"This season has been the worst in the past 16 seasons by a long way and seven points from the last 30 available didn't suggest to us that things were coming together for the next campaign," said Brown

He hoped that a new manager "would like to be in a position to see the side in action as often as possible before the end of the season

We currently have 8pts from the last 30 available.

Quick look at post-split permutations. If Hibs end up bottom six (very obvious reason that won't happen) then it's gonna mean an 18/20 home/away split for someone. Logic would dictate Hibs as they'll have nothing to play for but could depend if anyone is due that balance being in credit with a 20/18 at some point down the years. I'd need to check that back.

Livingston seem most likely option for bottom six which would at least give everyone 19/19 (as would St Mirren) but will likely mean a third trip to either either Kilmarnock or Motherwell for Saints, with the same applying for United. 

Given their respective home/away records that could prove a key decision from SPFL. Motherwell have 10th best home record, 3rd best away. Killie have only 2 points on the road.

Other fixtures, away to County, home to United and Livingston.

3 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I think we got all excited too early 

There’s surely people at the club aware of the fans sentiments online. It’s no longer the loud minority I feel. 

Monday is business hours, but you’d imagine if somethings being announced it’ll be today. 

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

There’s surely people at the club aware of the fans sentiments online. It’s no longer the loud minority I feel. 

Im expecting some excruciatingly patronising comments from the bunch of "football men" who "run" our club on Monday night.

Poor form happens to every club etc.

Parting ways with a double cup winning manager and club legend was never going to happen on the evening after a game.  The club may be many things (insert expletives) but they wouldn’t sink as low as to put up a quick post last night on social media to say CD is gone, that wouldn’t have sat well with me.

Has to be done properly IMO.

I know people will probably say nothing new, but in the past I never really felt it to any great degree. Now though we are really being treated with contempt by this bunch of shysters now running this rudderles ship, I can't even bring myself to call it a club.

I'm not one for writing emails but I am bloody tempted, just to see if I get a call from the bold Flax as I really think I am beyond the point of any platitudes 

4 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Parting ways with a double cup winning manager and club legend was never going to happen on the evening after a game.  The club may be many things (insert expletives) but they wouldn’t sink as low as to put up a quick post last night on social media to say CD is gone, that wouldn’t have sat well with me.

Has to be done properly IMO.

This is sensible. There's also the 'open meeting' this week to consider, maybe?

Yesterday was horriffic for all sorts of reasons, for predictable football reasons but also the crowd behaviour. By far the worst I've seen and heard from a Saints crownd and in all honesty it was an embarassment. Every team's going to have idiots but this wasn't the kids - grown men being absolute and utter arseholes. Not to take away from the fact that folk are accountable for thier own actions, the anger in the crowds recently is a direct result of what's (not) being done by the board and management.

Just another reason why there must be a decision and it's months overdue.

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

This is sensible. There's also the 'open meeting' this week to consider, maybe?

Yesterday was horriffic for all sorts of reasons, for predictable football reasons but also the crowd behaviour. By far the worst I've seen and heard from a Saints crownd and in all honesty it was an embarassment. Every team's going to have idiots but this wasn't the kids - grown men being absolute and utter arseholes. Not to take away from the fact that folk are accountable for thier own actions, the anger in the crowds recently is a direct result of what's (not) being done by the board and management.

Just another reason why there must be a decision and it's months overdue.

Agreed, taking anger out on assistant referee by throwing stuff and verbally abusing him when he actually didn’t do anything wrong at any point in the game, embarrassing behaviour and as far as I’m concerned anyone that throws things can get to f#ck.