Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

20 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

So, on the basis Macca gets the job, what is a realistic expectation for next season? Stretch of top 6, with an absolute must of being 10th or higher? All supplemented with better football and more youth

Or,

Is it top 6, a cup semi and if bottom 6, best of the rest as an absolute must?

For me, had we been coming off the back of the Wright era and CD's first season, then the latter, but given where we have been the last 2 years and the rebuild required, more the first one...

Anything above 12th is an achievement. We have no divine right to be in this league. 

Edited by PSJ.84

There is some truth in the "no divine right to be in the league" as no club does have the divine right to be in it. You're only there on merit. 

The issue with Davidson was more than he wasn't basing it on merit and more "we're small so you should just expect us to be crap and struggle" type attitude about it. Didn't show any ambition to be anything more than scraping by. 

9 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

There is some truth in the "no divine right to be in the league" as no club does have the divine right to be in it. You're only there on merit. 

The issue with Davidson was more than he wasn't basing it on merit and more "we're small so you should just expect us to be crap and struggle" type attitude about it. Didn't show any ambition to be anything more than scraping by. 

Also, he didn't include the word 'divine' the first time around. I'm glad he learnt from that, if nothing else.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Is it top 6, a cup semi and if bottom 6, best of the rest as an absolute must?

I'd take 10th as long as we were trying to play decent football and it was clear we were progressing with plan for the future. Two things totally absent under Davidson.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

For me, the main aim should always be at least 10th. (Oh look at me I’m setting my expectations as low as Callum did). However, after 15 consecutive top flight years I feel we should be pushing for mid table. Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen might be difficult to overtake for a while but no reason why we can’t aim for 6th and then try and push on from there. 

All depends on Maccas recruitment. Can probably say goodbye to Millwall players and likely unknown foreign imports for a little while. 

Cup wise. We should be making it out of the league cup group stages no matter what, and trying to get a run in either that or the Scottish cup. 

I think I agree with that, league position wasn't really the problem for me. Lack of ambition to even take part in some games was.

League cup, try to win all 4 games, if you can get seeded for last 16 then good chance of quarter finals.

At a minimum try to score 2 more goals to stay in.

Scottish cup, we know we'll draw Rangers every two or three years but beat teams we should beat.

Murray’s Retirement is a real end of an era moment. 

First signing after promotion. If he hadn’t suffered those injuries he’d be well clear as our record appearance holder. 

Genuinely sad it's the end of Murray. 

The decline was evident for everyone to see last season, no doubt about that but he's given absolutely everything for Saints evidently at the detriment of his own fitness. We cannot ask anymore than that. 

I hope he gets a moment on the pitch on Saturday where he can rightfully receive the thanks he deserves. While I know he'll get that testimonial but during a proper fixture is deserved as well.  

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

1 hour ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Muzz retiring on Sunday,great servant 

Glad its been announced before the game, so everyones aware its a proper goodbye for him

22 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Genuinely sad it's the end of Murray. 

The decline was evident for everyone to see last season, no doubt about that but he's given absolutely everything for Saints evidently at the detriment of his own fitness. We cannot ask anymore than that. 

I hope he gets a moment on the pitch on Saturday where he can rightfully receive the thanks he deserves. While I know he'll get that testimonial during a proper fixture is deserved as well.  

Decline was evident last season but he pulled one further performance out the bag when it was needed in the home play off match against ICT. Lot of moments in that game but he was man of the match no question. Real end of era feel to him going, quite a unique style of player and not one we've ever been able to properly replace (or will do so). Opposition fans seem to really hate him too which is massive plus point in his favour. Cheers Muzz, been a pleasure.

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Decline was evident last season but he pulled one further performance out the bag when it was needed in the home play off match against ICT. Lot of moments in that game but he was man of the match no question. Real end of era feel to him going, quite a unique style of player and not one we've ever been able to properly replace (or will do so). Opposition fans seem to really hate him too which is massive plus point in his favour. Cheers Muzz, been a pleasure.

Biggest testament to him is that I'd imagine most other teams would loved to have had him in their team and not playing against them.

As others say, bit of another sign of the end of an era. If Spoony leaves, then does that mean the whole of the 2014 team will ha e left? (Excluding May who left and then came back).

Aside from Muzz being class on the pitch, he has been class off it too. Always visible in Perth and I hope he both stays in and around perth and ideally still at the club in some capacity.