Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Alec Clelland might have been putting out the cones for that time.

Is he the man to tell MacLean that his system isn't working? 

It's no surprise we had a genuine turnaround when Agnew came in. Prior to that we had Allan Russell and Jim Goodwins brother in law.

Macca has already said, Clelland is the calming influence in the trio in charge, so I’ll take his opinion afore yours hth 

10 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The club without question won't be giving him cash. They're currently suffering significant financial loses and would be very likely not allowed either. 

As with all the other testimonials in previous years it will be organised without any direct affiliation with the club. 

There’s ways and means around donations, do you really think a few grand out of Spoony  fee would cripple us? 

Spoony got fifteen mins against USA in the gold cup QF recently. Don't know about the earlier games.

I'm sure the cash for thst will be lower than the WC but if there is any cash for it could have in part paid for his contract. Preusmbaly we won't get it if he's not with us. 

Surely that wc cash means spoony was a net profitast season? 

6 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Spoony got fifteen mins against USA in the gold cup QF recently. Don't know about the earlier games.

I'm sure the cash for thst will be lower than the WC but if there is any cash for it could have in part paid for his contract. Preusmbaly we won't get it if he's not with us. 

Surely that wc cash means spoony was a net profitast season? 

Hi @Frankchickens1 - hope all is well?

I think it is his form last season that did him out of a contract...22 appearances and 1 goal involvement.  

"Some people want to score. I want to score four. Then I want to score four more." - Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Edited by 1985Saint

You can see why folk think we'll struggle under MacLean, tbf.

Part of the previous failed set up, kept the previous failed set up, and has the added bonus of having to slash the size of squad and wage bill while trying to improve almost every position. 

I think he'll see out the season, even if we're bottom, unless he seems massively out his depth.

He wants to get us playing a certain way and wants to build a young squad with faith put in our own academy players. Thatll take time to get right so you have to buy in fully and take a couple of hits if you trust the manager to get it right eventually.

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

Young manager who has decided on a set way of playing and determined to implement this with one transfer window.

Added to no-one in the management team with much experience of management to speak of, I can see him being emptied by Christmas and someone else doing a good job with players he's signed/brought through by making some tweaks.

I know, I mean what is Barry Robson thinking?! 🙃

18 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

He averaged 32 minutes across those 22 appearances though, so a bit unfair to throw that at him. 

Yeah I get that, but also is it throwing good money after bad to keep someone who contributes so little game time and / or goal contributions ever a wise idea?

"Eat a burger? You are dead to me." - Morrisey

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

You can see why folk think we'll struggle under MacLean, tbf.

Part of the previous failed set up, kept the previous failed set up, and has the added bonus of having to slash the size of squad and wage bill while trying to improve almost every position. 

I think he'll see out the season, even if we're bottom, unless he seems massively out his depth.

He wants to get us playing a certain way and wants to build a young squad with faith put in our own academy players. Thatll take time to get right so you have to buy in fully and take a couple of hits if you trust the manager to get it right eventually.

Well that's it

Look at Arteta. Thriving now but started off playing counter attacking football, using the players he had. Slowly took in players to play the way he wants. Obviously it's at a higher level but Arsenal we're shite, toxic squad with a few cracking youngsters.

Not keeping Wotherspoon is a massive mistake IMO.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

I know, I mean what is Barry Robson thinking?! 🙃

The same Barry Robson who took an experienced number 2 in and went back to the absolute basics of winning second balls and playing up the park quickly?

Just now, DukDukGoose said:

Well that's it

Look at Arteta. Thriving now but started off playing counter attacking football, using the players he had. Slowly took in players to play the way he wants. Obviously it's at a higher level but Arsenal we're shite, toxic squad with a few cracking youngsters.

The same Barry Robson who took an experienced number 2 in and went back to the absolute basics of winning second balls and playing up the park quickly?

I thought you said you weren't obsessed?

7 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Think we'll have to see how we look after this window to really know.

He wants the midfielders to be able to press well and be mobile enough to cover most of the pitch. We play wingers high and narrow often so the CMs either side of the DM need to be able to cover a lot of ground.

Is that Wotherspoons game? Used to be but im not sure he does it regularly anymore, while youre looking at 3 U23s (Ballantyne, Ferguson, Kucheriavyi) all vying for the same position who are better fits and also (likely) cheaper.

It was a brutal decision, and one im still not sure was right, but it shows wont just compromise and sign a good player for the sake of it, he needs to know where they fit in. If they dont fit in he'll just trust a younger player to take their chance. Its not that daft when our youth squads are seemingly bringing through a golden batch of players.

9 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

😄 that would be Agnew who has been a coach since 2002 vs Clelland who has been a coach since 2003. 🤔 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Think we'll have to see how we look after this window to really know.

He wants the midfielders to be able to press well and be mobile enough to cover most of the pitch. We play wingers high and narrow often so the CMs either side of the DM need to be able to cover a lot of ground.

Is that Wotherspoons game? Used to be but im not sure he does it regularly anymore, while youre looking at 3 U23s (Ballantyne, Ferguson, Kucheriavyi) all vying for the same position who are better fits and also (likely) cheaper.

It was a brutal decision, and one im still not sure was right, but it shows wont just compromise and sign a good player for the sake of it, he needs to know where they fit in. If they dont fit in he'll just trust a younger player to take their chance. Its not that daft when our youth squads are seemingly bringing through a golden batch of players.

It's absolutely easier to get the younger players to buy in, but if they aren't good enough then there's the issue.

To me, it's better keeping Wotherspoon for a year and slowly get your preferred style in to play. I've seen how it went with Glass.

I'd like him to do well. Wish he could have kept him when he was on loan for us and was always a player I hated us coming up against.

Just now, Theyellowbox said:

😄 that would be Agnew who has been a coach since 2002 vs Clelland who has been a coach since 2003. 🤔 

Agnew has coached at a far higher level versus a guy who seemingly sat on his arse as Davidson made a c**t of it.

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

It's absolutely easier to get the younger players to buy in, but if they aren't good enough then there's the issue.

To me, it's better keeping Wotherspoon for a year and slowly get your preferred style in to play. I've seen how it went with Glass.

Yeah its the one thing im worried about, is that we cant rely on multiple young players over the season when the senior players also arent great. But with the squad having to be absolutely culled from 37 players, and the wage budget having to be cut after the largest loss in our history last season, its a gamble im happy to see taken. All the youngsters have experience in the lower leagues behind them so they arent completely raw. The youngest ones are 18/19 too so not overly young either.

Wotherspoon, to MacLean, didnt fit how he wanted to play while also blocking the pathway of 3 young CMs who do fit how he wants to play. It also gives him more in the budget to get players he thinks can fit. Thats ignoring Wotherspoon struggling since coming back from a major injury. 

Id rather have had Wotherspoon than not, but can understand why that risk was taken.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah its the one thing im worried about, is that we cant rely on multiple young players over the season when the senior players also arent great. But with the squad having to be absolutely culled from 37 players, and the wage budget having to be cut after the largest loss in our history last season, its a gamble im happy to see taken. All the youngsters have experience in the lower leagues behind them so they arent completely raw. The youngest ones are 18/19 too so not overly young either.

Wotherspoon, to MacLean, didnt fit how he wanted to play while also blocking the pathway of 3 young CMs who do fit how he wants to play. It also gives him more in the budget to get players he thinks can fit. Thats ignoring Wotherspoon struggling since coming back from a major injury. 

Id rather have had Wotherspoon than not, but can understand why that risk was taken.

Fingers crossed for him but we've seen this loads of times before.

Totally see where you are coming from though.

The wains fully turned on Davidson, as Ali Crawford the latest to publicly complain.

Cant see him playing much under MacLean unless he massively improves at winning the ball back

Screenshot_20230713_102218_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b73a8f75ce5f94d73aa7d62cd3043003.jpg

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The wains fully turned on Davidson, as Ali Crawford the latest to publicly complain.

Cant see him playing much under MacLean unless he massively improves at winning the ball back

Screenshot_20230713_102218_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b73a8f75ce5f94d73aa7d62cd3043003.jpg

I’d buy into  Crawford wanting to fight if he showed any signs of fighting in the 60 odd appearances he made for us. 

Bin.