Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Perhaps Moult or McGeady are ideal if they’re willing to accept a bench place, and know they’re not starting or getting a regular game. 

However they’ll both look for starts, so I can’t see it working or happening. 

McGeady is 37!!!!

Yeah really happy with the Jephcott signing after watching some of him.

Definitely great in the box and has that knack of the ball just dropping to him. Strikes the ball really well when given a chance too and you'd trust him when one on one with a keeper. Raw on the ball and sometimes plays a dodgy pass when a better one is on, which might cause issues with our CBs being shit under pressure on the ball (he sometimes just automatically passes in a straight line when dropping deep, no matter what pressure is on his team mate), so something for them to work on. Seems to work hard defensively too.

Not quick, but not slow, but can't see him breaking offside traps too often. Don't think hes bothered about winning too many long balls aerially, would rather chase them down the channels.

For a 23yo whos free, its a great find.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Definitely great in the box and has that knack of the ball just dropping to him. Strikes the ball really well when given a chance too and you'd trust him when one on one with a keeper. Raw on the ball and sometimes plays a dodgy pass when a better one is on, which might cause issues with our CBs being shit under pressure on the ball (he sometimes just automatically passes in a straight line when dropping deep, no matter what pressure is on his team mate), so something for them to work on. Seems to work hard defensively too.

Not quick, but not slow, but can't see him breaking offside traps too often. Don't think hes bothered about winning too many long balls aerially, would rather chase them down the channels.

For a 23yo whos free, its a great find.

Cheers for the insight mate 👍

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

For a 23yo whos free, it’s a great find.

Sounds promising. I remember him being partnered with Ryan Hardie a lot of the time, is he another one that we’d get the best out of in a front two? 

41 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

Sounds promising. I remember him being partnered with Ryan Hardie a lot of the time, is he another one that we’d get the best out of in a front two? 

Im not sure, tbh, but ive seen a few people saying he seemed better in a front two and a Saints fan somewhere else said he only really faltered at Plymouth when they went to a lone striker.

From what i saw his "hold up play" got worse the longer he had the ball, if that makes sense? So ideally you get players around him so he can just play quick passes rather than have him taking lots of touches while trying to look for a pass.

Time for a review of the starting eleven...what does everyone think of this?

Mitov

Brown     Gordon    McGowan   Gallagher

Wright        Max        Phillips      Carey

May 
                           Jephcott

Looks like it is beginning to come together

"REMEMBER THE NAME. LUKE JEPHCOTT" - Anonymous User, FIFA Forums

Liam Gordon brings so much on himself by trying to be Franz Beckenbauer. Same applies to the relatively recent approach he's taken that involves getting into wrestling matches. 

If he just went back to doing some basic defending and organising he's actually very good at that.

He's also gonna have to accept massively reduced terms if he wants to stay at Saints beyond next summer.

56 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

McGowan gives me the fear in a two but I’m not sure if that’s actually fair or not. Could be basing it entirely on Davidson’s last game. 

I have seen enough of him (or enough of Considine) to make me see him as the better option 🤣

I would far rather have McGowan in there than have him in in MF.

"Once their was this kid who's parents made them come directly home right after school" - Crash Test Dummies

50 minutes ago, Radford said:

Liam Gordon brings so much on himself by trying to be Franz Beckenbauer. Same applies to the relatively recent approach he's taken that involves getting into wrestling matches. 

If he just went back to doing some basic defending and organising he's actually very good at that.

He's also gonna have to accept massively reduced terms if he wants to stay at Saints beyond next summer.

What is he on ball-park at the moment?

"It's very difficult to move yourself up bit by bit. It's like trying to eat an elephant for God's sake. I can do it. It's just I have to have it bite by bite, you know. It's possible. You can eat an elephant, but you have to do it bite by bite. You can't do it all in one go." - Colin Montgomerie

1 hour ago, 1985Saint said:

Time for a review of the starting eleven...what does everyone think of this?

Mitov

Brown     Gordon    McGowan   Gallagher

Wright        Max        Phillips      Carey

May 
                           Jephcott

Looks like it is beginning to come together

Defence is a worry and *puts on tin helmet* so is Max a bit. Really think we need him to be far braver in terms of taking control of midfield.