Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah signed a 3 year contract this Summer.

Genuinely wonder if the players have made it clear this morning hes zero support so the club had no choice and have just pumped out a statement?

Aye. We've more chance of Neilson after we've relegated than before, hes all about padding his CV with titles and not relegations i think. 

Id rule him, Alexander and Yogi out straight off. Lennon shouldnt be touched. Ross is earming more at Newcastle than we could get near. Murray has a great thing going at Raith so why leave for us? Ignore Scott Brown/Jody Morris as rookies. TW wont leave his NI job to risk his legacy IMO.

I’d be amazed if Murray didn’t leave Raith if we went for him. Utd look like they’ll skoosh that league, as they should with that squad and budget, so the best Raith can likely achieve is the play off lottery. 

So even if he took over and we still went down, he’d likely be in the same division in the summer with a bigger budget, better facilities and a bigger salary. 

That being said, I think he’d be a good longer term one to go for, but I’m not sure he’s the right man for now. With over 3/4 of the season left, we have to throw everything at survival then re-assess in the summer. 

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

I’d be amazed if Murray didn’t leave Raith if we went for him. Utd look like they’ll skoosh that league, as they should with that squad and budget, so the best Raith can likely achieve is the play off lottery. 

So even if he took over and we still went down, he’d likely be in the same division in the summer with a bigger budget, better facilities and a bigger salary. 

That being said, I think he’d be a good longer term one to go for, but I’m not sure he’s the right man for now. With over 3/4 of the season left, we have to throw everything at survival then re-assess in the summer. 

I just wonder if joining a shambes of a St Mirren team will have spooked him. A second go at the Premiership, and a second failure, wouldnt be great and probably sets him back a few years again.

He could stay at Raith another 12 months and get a chance at a better, more settled, top flight job i reckon.

Ive no idea how appealing we actually are though.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I just wonder if joining a shambes of a St Mirren team will have spooked him. A second go at the Premiership, and a second failure, wouldnt be great and probably sets him back a few years again.

He could stay at Raith another 12 months and get a chance at a better, more settled, top flight job i reckon.

Ive no idea how appealing we actually are though.

Murray never managed St Mirren in the top division. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ignore my previous post then 😂

Still stands, imo. I think he'd be a decent fit, but he'd be better off waiting for the summer to take the job, whether you stay up or go down. If you stay up, great: he gets a stab at a Prem club. If you go down, you should skoosh the Championship. 

2 hours ago, Center half said:

Wonder if something kicked off at training? Both Macca and Liam are a bit fiery!

Quite possibly. It doesn't sound like Macca has much in the way of man management skills. A friend of mine was speaking last week to a player who left us this summer. He described Macca's management style as "unapologetically aggressive"! 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dont think he did, tbf. Did he not say that but said he didnt think he could refuse the chance to manage us so would try his best?

Blame probably lies more with Steve Brown (again) for putting him in this situation.

The same was said about Alex Dyer at Killie. It was clear he didn’t want the job to me.

I though MacLean was a bit like that but not knowing him I put it down to his natural demeanour.

Absolutely the correct decision. Hopefully now we can move on and in the fullness of time both Maclean and Craig will be remembered as the legends they are and not for being put in a totally impossible position.

I'd be losing all my dignity begging Wright to come back at this point. If it's true Martindale is operating without a contract at Livi then that's worth exploring too. Absolute no to Billy Dodds 

Just now, Kyle said:

Absolutely the correct decision. Hopefully now we can move on and in the fullness of time both Maclean and Craig will be remembered as the legends they are and not for being put in a totally impossible position.

I'd be losing all my dignity begging Wright to come back at this point. If it's true Martindale is operating without a contract at Livi then that's worth exploring too. Absolute no to Billy Dodds 

Tommy for me would probably do what is needed, but fans would seriously need to lower their expectations. 11th is the only target.

Martindale is an interesting one. I wonder if like Wright was with us, right man for right job at right time.

I wouldn't be massively adverse to Craig Levein to be honest. Bit of a disaster at Hearts in the end, but pretty much what we need. Get him in, keep us up and the replace Gus as DoF and given him a mandate to build up the football side of the club and bring in investment.

Total curveball, but if the club were actively speaking to investors (zero indication they are) could any potential investor have a manager in mind and club appoints them in advance of any deal being done? Jez Moxley is involved, so maybe he has contacts....

I’d like to think Murray would stay at the Rovers if you were interested but you’d probably be able to double his salary so… I don’t think he’s the right man for a relegation scrap though. He seems to be more of a slower build manager who’ll be able to shape a team over time to his liking/standards than a come in and get 50% more from existing players than the last guy type. A master tactician he is not. If you went for him I’d see it as an admission you’re expecting to go down already and have an eye on next season.

Edited by Enigma