Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The big problem we have is no matter who we appoint they still have to work with the absolute dross that Macca signed. If I look at our best 11, I struggle to put any more than 2 of his signings in it. Just need someone who can get us through to January without us getting to detached at the bottom, and then clear out the deadwood and go from there.

Martindale might be a shout but the only available option I would want is Neil Lennon. I believe he’s a pal of our chief executive so that might be in our favour. Don’t think we are high enough in profile for him though.

Ive kinda consigned myself that we’re getting relegated so whoever gets the job should be thinking of how he gets us out of the championship at the first time of asking 

1 hour ago, johnoswald2712 said:

The big problem we have is no matter who we appoint they still have to work with the absolute dross that Macca signed. If I look at our best 11, I struggle to put any more than 2 of his signings in it. Just need someone who can get us through to January without us getting to detached at the bottom, and then clear out the deadwood and go from there.

Martindale might be a shout but the only available option I would want is Neil Lennon. I believe he’s a pal of our chief executive so that might be in our favour. Don’t think we are high enough in profile for him though.

Ive kinda consigned myself that we’re getting relegated so whoever gets the job should be thinking of how he gets us out of the championship at the first time of asking 

I said that, verbatim, when we appointed Ferguson. 

36 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Danny Griffin assisting Cleland

I'm sure he won't be shouting it too loudly due to others being sacked that lead to him getting tbr opportunity but he'll be absolutely delighted to get involved with the first team, even if it does just end up a couple of days!

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

They need someone that is going to come in and command instant respect. A leader of men.

Even under Davidson we never really had that fire. When things were good it was because we were an incredibly well coached side. We didn't always have that side of things under Tommy Wright but you knew that, as a group, they had that ability to dig deep and find something when it mattered. There wasn't a team with a.bigger heart than Saints for much of his time here.

IMO, it's more important we get back to that than the coaching side of things first and foremost. Of course that is important but just being well structured isn't going to be enough for us.

He may well have no interest in the job but I would certainly ask the question of Neil Lennon.

Edited by Radford

Our of our main but not only downfall over the last 24+ months has been recruitment. 

While this is more of a gut feel than based on facts I think both Neilson and Martindale probably fall in the category of guys who are a good judge of a player in identifying whether or not they're good enough for our level. 

If you're comparing the two Martindale certainly shown he can do that on a budget more in line with Saints spending power. 

Others might be able to put more fact to my "opinions" though in terms of how many of Martindale's signings have actually been a success though? 🤷‍♂️

Martindale moving to evens though.......

Just now, perthsaints99 said:

Don’t get the Neilson love-in at all tbh. Never been impressed.

We need a grinder-outer.

That's how I feel as well. I'm sure I remember reading stuff Hearts fans were saying when he was sacked and it so much echoed our complaints about Davidson.

His Hearts team looked alright at times but he just kept with the same things when it stopped working. And, as someone else maybe said I think, a charisma vacuum.

5 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Others might be able to put more fact to my "opinions" though in terms of how many of Martindale's signings have actually been a success though?

His signings have been excellent. The only flops have been inexpensive "bonus" signings made at the end of the summer window when he had a bit of budget left so took a punt. Even the players who didn't make it at Livi went on to show their quality elsewhere, such as Hakeem Odoffin. 

1 hour ago, Freedom Farter said:

His signings have been excellent. The only flops have been inexpensive "bonus" signings made at the end of the summer window when he had a bit of budget left so took a punt. Even the players who didn't make it at Livi went on to show their quality elsewhere, such as Hakeem Odoffin. 

It's one of the hardest tasks (IMO) in football but then you compare it to Saints recent record. Probably 70%+ of Saints last 25 to 30 signings haven't produced much 😬😂