Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

It wasn’t a genuine request for trouble but still a very stupid thing to tweet. Could’ve predicted that trench coat and his junkie pals would show up, desperate for some excitement to fill that gaping void in their lives.

Aye I’ve just had a look at the boys Twitter I see that he is getting a bit of abuse for it. Wonder if he was even there when it happened.

Doesnt excuse the behaviour of course but if a Kilmarnock fan had tweeted that and brought trouble to a pub I was in I wouldn’t be too impressed.

9 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Aye I’ve just had a look at the boys Twitter I see that he is getting a bit of abuse for it. Wonder if he was even there when it happened.

Doesnt excuse the behaviour of course but if a Kilmarnock fan had tweeted that and brought trouble to a pub I was in I wouldn’t be too impressed.

Agreed, however the man hunt for the guy throwing the bottles should be similar as to the one for the Dunfermline fans the other week. Supposedly hit a wee girl? Horrible cretin.

13 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I actually see via the Dundee thread that a St Johnstone fan did encourage the Airdrie fans to turn up at that particular pub.

Will be interesting to see if that was a genuine request for trouble or if it was just a throwaway comment that hasn’t ended well.

Can't answer factually but I can imagine that's true. You know what these wee guys are all about. Giving it the big man.

What an abject half arsed pathetic showing, in keeping with pretty much all our domestic cup performances ever since we completed the double.

Set up with a powder puff midfield and outplayed throughout.  The manager is enjoying giving off this chilled out easy-going vibe these days, and by f**k that was reflected by his team. We didn’t show an ounce of urgency until we fell a goal behind.

I’d gladly never see Gallacher in a Saints shirt again, an absolute coward on the ball. Yet Robinson came on for him and was arguably worse.

I’m all for possession football if it actually leads to something, but it never does, we just keep passing it sideways until we eventually give the ball away under pressure. I hate route one football but I honestly think right now I’d prefer we humped the ball forward to a big haddy upfront and fed off the scraps.. at least we might see some play around the opposition box.

There was zero method in getting the ball forward today, after we’ve had nearly 4 fucking weeks to work on things. McGowan and DJ’s predictable passing between them late on down the right a perfect example. No ideas, no creativity, lack of quality. And they were no worse than the rest of the team.  Smith needs to pick his game up big time as well.

I guess we’ll have to accept we’ve landed ourselves another manager who doesn’t realise the object is to score goals. We are so passive and content as long as it’s 0-0. 

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

What an abject half arsed pathetic showing, in keeping with pretty much all our domestic cup performances ever since we completed the double.

Set up with a powder puff midfield and outplayed throughout.  The manager is enjoying giving off this chilled out easy-going vibe these days, and by f**k that was reflected by his team. We didn’t show an ounce of urgency until we fell a goal behind.

I’d gladly never see Gallacher in a Saints shirt again, an absolute coward on the ball. Yet Robinson came on for him and was arguably worse.

I’m all for possession football if it actually leads to something, but it never does, we just keep passing it sideways until we eventually give the ball away under pressure. I hate route one football but I honestly think right now I’d prefer we humped the ball forward to a big haddy upfront and fed off the scraps.. at least we might see some play around the opposition box.

There was zero method in getting the ball forward today, after we’ve had nearly 4 fucking weeks to work on things. McGowan and DJ’s predictable passing between them late on down the right a perfect example. No ideas, no creativity, lack of quality. And they were no worse than the rest of the team.  Smith needs to pick his game up big time as well.

I guess we’ll have to accept we’ve landed ourselves another manager who doesn’t realise the object is to score goals. We are so passive and content as long as it’s 0-0. 

I’d like someone to tell me what difference there is between what we watched today and Davidson’s team from a year ago because I can’t see it. If anything we’re actually worse. Would really like us to employ a manager who sets his team up to win the game 

38 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

I’d like someone to tell me what difference there is between what we watched today and Davidson’s team from a year ago because I can’t see it. If anything we’re actually worse. Would really like us to employ a manager who sets his team up to win the game 

I guess the one thing in Levein’s favour is that he has improved us since he joined. But in isolation today was every bit as bad. 

Today was always going to be tricky, what with Airdrie going well, on their pitch and us rusty after the break, but there’s no excuse for how much we encouraged Airdrie by being a half-arsed shambles. Even after half time they came out more up for it.

Going out the cup is part of life, but it’s the meek capitulations with barely a shot at goal, and treating it as a warm-up to our inevitable relegation battles that we’re being made to accept as our fate, that really annoys me.

The change of shape made things worse today as well. 

McGowan attempting to provide the only width down the right made things very difficult. 

The midfield seemed lost as well. 

At least it moved Carey away from playing deep. That was a disaster as well. 

16 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I guess the one thing in Levein’s favour is that he has improved us since he joined. But in isolation today was every bit as bad. 

Today was always going to be tricky, what with Airdrie going well, on their pitch and us rusty after the break, but there’s no excuse for how much we encouraged Airdrie by being a half-arsed shambles. Even after half time they came out more up for it.

Going out the cup is part of life, but it’s the meek capitulations with barely a shot at goal, and treating it as a warm-up to our inevitable relegation battles that we’re being made to accept as our fate, that really annoys me.

Has he improved us though? We’re more solid than we were under McLean but that’s hardly anything to shout about. We have no width, a load of forwards that can’t impact the game and other than Carey the only player capable of beating anyone is a 16 year old. It’s not exactly inspiring is it. No one expects us to be Real Madrid or Messi’s Barcelona but it would be appreciated if we could attempt to attack with a bit of pace.  Most fans will accept players who are technically deficient if they make up for it with hard work but I look at this squad and all I see is a fair few who aren’t willing to roll their sleeves up despite their lack of technical ability. 

8 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Has he improved us though? We’re more solid than we were under McLean but that’s hardly anything to shout about. We have no width, a load of forwards that can’t impact the game and other than Carey the only player capable of beating anyone is a 16 year old. It’s not exactly inspiring is it. No one expects us to be Real Madrid or Messi’s Barcelona but it would be appreciated if we could attempt to attack with a bit of pace.  Most fans will accept players who are technically deficient if they make up for it with hard work but I look at this squad and all I see is a fair few who aren’t willing to roll their sleeves up despite their lack of technical ability. 

I’m not sticking up for Levein, jury’s still out on him for me, and I think he maybe gets away with more because he’s a good talker and handles the media well.

But results have definitely improved under him since Maclean left. And given the squad he has inherited, and lumbered with in many individual cases, I don’t think it’s fair to write him off until he’s had this summer window when he can move on a lot of shite and put his own mark on the squad.

In terms of how we set up, yes I agree, there’s very little attacking flair or creativity and we’re still a turgid dull team to watch, set up not to lose goals rather than take the game to the opposition.

Ill put my fork in the ground and say today is the today my opinion of Levein has started to head downwards.

It had started to stutter by the time the winter break hit but there were so many red flags in there today.

Its so very Callum Davidson-y tactically, and performance wise, and we're even now seeing him playing favourites with team selections to the detriment of the team.

Hes even trying to sign his way out of trouble instead of working with that he has. You'd genuinely have no idea he just had 3 weeks to work with this squad ahead of the game because literally nothing was different. Just hoping a new signing in attack who hasnt played in months magically changes things.

Edited by RandomGuy.

39 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

McGowan attempting to provide the only width down the right made things very difficult. 

Yeah, this was the one for me. It was obvious pretty early after the change in the first half and it’s mental that we finished the game like that. Should’ve been rectified - if possible can’t remember the bench - early in the second half.  

3 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Agreed, however the man hunt for the guy throwing the bottles should be similar as to the one for the Dunfermline fans the other week. Supposedly hit a wee girl? Horrible cretin.

I hope he is identified and gets hammered fucking disgraceful actions and what a shite bag.

The good news is that his face is all over social media and no doubt the police will already be aware so he will get caught. They’ll be on other CCTV in the area/stadium in their same crew with the same jackets.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ill put my fork in the ground and say today is the today my opinion of Levein has started to head downwards.

It had started to stutter by the time the winter break hit but there were so many red flags in there today.

Its so very Callum Davidson-y tactically, and performance wise, and we're even now seeing him playing favourites with team selections to the detriment of the team.

Hes even trying to sign his way out of trouble instead of working with that he has. You'd genuinely have no idea he just had 3 weeks to work with this squad ahead of the game because literally nothing was different. Just hoping a new signing in attack who hasnt played in months magically changes things.

I did think driving home the more things change etc. but kind of told myself to shut up as it’s quite reactionary, although it’s hard not to be given what we’ve seen from this squad of players. Big few weeks. 

2 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I did think driving home the more things change etc. but kind of told myself to shut up as it’s quite reactionary, although it’s hard not to be given what we’ve seen from this squad of players. Big few weeks. 

Definitely be seen as reactionary, but as time goes by the improvement feels more like the "bounce" we got after sacking Davidson combining with players having some confidence in a manager again than anything.

We're trapped in a shit filled rut with managers who just constantly overthink it.

Like how many people who've watched us play over the past 12 months would think a midfield of Kucheriavyi, Carey, and Smith, would be anything other than powderpuff and hand over possession in bad areas constantly? Theres absolutely no goal threat there either. 

At least Davidson and MacLean had inexperience as an excuse.

Results have improved under Levein, that’s indisputable. How many times have we played well under him though? More organised etc but genuinely played like a cohesive football team? Hibs at home perhaps. The Ross County and St Mirren games we won were terrible. I’d convinced myself this was a good appointment but the more I think about it after watching us……..