Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Five U17s signed for our U20s today, do folk reckon this is the Youth Development/Alastair Stevenson plan starting to bear fruit? I know the parents of one of them, and he seems to be fairly highly rated by those at the club, although I understand I'm only getting their side of things. 

Still not convinced we'll ever really manage to hit the heights of youth development that we're hoping for, but if we can consistently have two or three around the first team then would it be considered a success?

I thought Saints were pretty good last night. Bradford were very comfortable on the ball but we defended well and they barely had a chance. We started with a back 3 and shifted to a 4 at the start of the 2nd half. Liam Gordon organised it well and McKay and Scobbie also had decent games. I felt that Paton was actually our best player - comfortable receiving the ball from the defence and shifting it on - we were much better when Easten and Scobbie started doing that instead of launching it towards Cummins/Kane.

Played mostly youngsters in the 2nd half but they did well. Thomson had some lovely touches and Comrie looked a lot more comfortable at right-back in a back 4.

Decent crowd as well with around 1100 there. 

I really enjoyed the game last night. Thought we might struggle when I saw the first 11, but despite Bradford's possession thought we looked the better team. It was encouraging to see the midfield employing a high press without Davidson and Millar and Paton/Alston certainly look like good fits for us. Craig looks fitter than he did last season and was trying to lead, which was good to see. He's quite far down the queue, but he's probably the most natural captain we have in our squad. I thought Comrie was man of the match at right back. Didn't look out of place at all after a nervous first 5 minutes.

When you consider we were missing Clark, Watson, Anderson, Mackay, Shaughnessy, Coulson, Wotherspoon, Davidson, Millar, Swanson and Maclean  from the team (which is a very good starting 11 itself) last night, the team coped very well against a side who will be much better paid than our own.

48 minutes ago, Kyle said:

When you consider we were missing Clark, Watson, Anderson, Mackay, Shaughnessy, Coulson, Wotherspoon, Davidson, Millar, Swanson and Maclean  from the team (which is a very good starting 11 itself) last night, the team coped very well against a side who will be much better paid than our own.

One more striker and we'll be set for another great season. 

Wonder if we'll get an easy Champions league qualifier like Celtic?

First time seeing some of the new boys, although the standard of opposition is hardly a great judge. 

Alston looks like he'll fit in well once he fully understands his role in the side, some of his bursts forward were Davidson-esque. Paton looks like he'll be useful, but looks utterly shot of confidence. Coulson looks a total dark horse, big, powerful, quick and can strike the ball. Could be an absolute steal.

Not sure how you think Paton is "utterly shot of confidence" - was my MOM from Tuesday and is always looking for the ball.

I only seem him yesterday and he looked a bit nervous.

Are you basing this on the time when he made an attacking run with the ball and didn't seem to know what to do with it at the end? I'd suggest that's more to do with him being a defensive-minded player who is naturally a bit uncomfortable when attacking. I thought he looked fine apart from that.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't post much these days, but I feel I have to say something here...

What a load of utter pish.

Are you basing this on the time when he made an attacking run with the ball and didn't seem to know what to do with it at the end? I'd suggest that's more to do with him being a defensive-minded player who is naturally a bit uncomfortable when attacking. I thought he looked fine apart from that.

Have to agree that in the small stints I've seen he's looked OK and a perfectly able squad member. Appears he works hard as well.

I thought he looked nervous, as when he lost the ball he was instantly apologising, while the Paton I've seen previously would be screaming at team mates for not moving for him. A few times he loitered too long on the ball aswell.

I'm not saying hes shite or anything, as I've already said he looks a useful option, but thats what I saw from him. Sorry if my opinion doesnt match your own.

21 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

And even that time the midfield was painfully slow to support him so he retained the ball.