Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Congratulations on staying up, I may be in the minority of Dees but I'm really happy with today's results. I'm hoping for a Raith win v as well, be brilliant to have 3 easy to get to away fixtures and a grand night can be had in Perth, and much better atmospheres than Ross Co. & Livi for the home fixtures.

7 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

So .. Levein in or Levein out?

I’m on the fence but, as I imagine many won’t make the case for him, would say he deserves a lot of credit for his first January transfer window. Sidibeh and Kimpioka’s goals kept us up.

I suspect he stays on unless he himself has decided he can’t be arsed anymore.

Keep him on as Chief Scout if you like, for the reasons you give i.e. two good signings, both with a lot of potential providing there is a half decent midfield to present them with opportunities. We need a Coach who can set up a team utilising players best abilities and one who can spot when tactical changes are necessary and introduce the right player to have the desired effect.

In old speak, aye we need a new manager.  

I’ve never quite shared the animosity of many Saints fans online towards Levein, though he can be hugely frustrating. 

He came in when we looked doomed so it’s mission accomplished in the league. Because of that you feel he’s only leaving if it’s his own choice this summer.  

Made good signings as Tam says; Keltjens, Kimpioka and especially Sidibeh is amongst the best January windows in terms of second half of the season impact for a good few years.

The Livi and Motherwell performances in spells have given me a bit of optimism that he can get the team playing decent football and creating chances and move away from a defensive mindset. Also shown a bit more willingness to adapt and change things from the likes of Davidson, seeing us in a far more comfortable 4-4-2.

I feel he has contacts for signings and an eye for a player, so in a squad needing a big overhaul that’s maybe an advantage.  He’s not the most inspiring character but then every one of our previous 4-5 managers with the exception of Lomas had a connection to the club, so maybe today will give Levein a bit of a bond, who knows?

Levein would be the safe choice, if it’s McCabe or Ian Murray type then fair enough the start of something new but a bit more of a gamble. 

2 minutes ago, indicator said:

Keep him on as Chief Scout if you like, for the reasons you give i.e. two good signings, both with a lot of potential providing there is a half decent midfield to present them with opportunities. We need a Coach who can set up a team utilising players best abilities and one who can spot when tactical changes are necessary and introduce the right player to have the desired effect.

In old speak, aye we need a new manager.  

Since Levein came in the stated role has been that Kirk does the day-to-day stuff with Levein having a more high level role, so in essence that's exactly what we're doing and the issue is with Kirk. But obviously we need to see how off-season shakes out.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I’ve never quite shared the animosity of many Saints fans online towards Levein, though he can be hugely frustrating. 

I'm fairly sure it's because of the animosity towards Davidson. 

They seemed fairly similar to a point. Won't give much emotions in interviews or on the touchline, set up with a back 5 and won't change it, both seemed scared to be proactive chasing wins, both seemed negative with subs.

If Levein wasn't following that then things would be different IMO. And the fact he did change it up would've been more accepted.

His signings were good up front, but Kerr Smith and Connor Smith were poor and pointless, and based solely on him knowing them. My hope is that was just him doing things quickly in January by going for players he knew instead of trying to scout others. Sidibeh gives a lot of hope for the future though.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm fairly sure it's because of the animosity towards Davidson. 

They seemed fairly similar to a point. Won't give much emotions in interviews or on the touchline, set up with a back 5 and won't change it, both seemed scared to be proactive chasing wins, both seemed negative with subs.

If Levein wasn't following that then things would be different IMO. And the fact he did change it up would've been more accepted.

His signings were good up front, but Kerr Smith and Connor Smith were poor and pointless, and based solely on him knowing them. My hope is that was just him doing things quickly in January by going for players he knew instead of trying to scout others. Sidibeh gives a lot of hope for the future though.

Couldn't really do much of anything about Kerr Smith mind - not his fault he got crocked about the week after he got there.

Just now, GorbalsMags said:

Couldn't really do much of anything about Kerr Smith mind - not his fault he got crocked about the week after he got there.

I'm not sure we need him and Robinson in on loan in January tbh. It felt like they didn't expect Robinson back.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not sure we need him and Robinson in on loan in January tbh. It felt like they didn't expect Robinson back.

Wigan were maybe blinded a bit by the decent form of Robinson up here then played him and realised he was shite.

Well done the Perth Saints. If Livingston and the Teuchters get emptied from the top flight in the same season, then it’s 100% prime time Gareth Cheeseman time in my book.

F46BCBF3-7A23-48F2-A0DF-A6939AA52544.jpeg

I agree with people that I wouldn't hate Levein becoming more of a chief scout/DoF - especially with American owners who likely can't commit full time to Saints.

His signings in January give me hope that a more full scale rebuild would have a higher chance of working.

2 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Wigan were maybe blinded a bit by the decent form of Robinson up here then played him and realised he was shite.

Genuinely might be the case.

15 minutes ago, GorbalsMags said:

Clark early season Sidibeh late season... if we could get a full season of them both we're laughing!

Quite excited to see Sidibeh after pre-season tbh. Everything he managed thus season is after coming from a level well below this and is him adapting to it all.

1 hour ago, Zamora Fan said:

So .. Levein in or Levein out?

Today’s result was more a case of a result in spite of Levein not because of him. Can’t believe any Saints fan seriously wants him to stay on

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Quite excited to see Sidibeh after pre-season tbh. Everything he managed thus season is after coming from a level well below this and is him adapting to it all.

yes i think we're genuinely pretty good up front now if everyone's fit (big If)

Goalkeepers 

Dimitar Mitov - 2025

Ross Sinclair - 2026

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2024

Olusadare Olufunwa - 2025

David Keltjens - 2025

Sam McClelland - 2025

Ryan McGowan - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Liam Parker - 2024 

Callum Booth - 2024 

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright - 2024

Fran Franczak - ??

Sven Sprangler - 2025

Connor Smith - 2025

Max Kucheriavyi - 2025

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Matt Smith - 2025

Ali Crawford -2024

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2025

Graham Carey - 2024

Attackers

Stevie May - 2025

Nicky Clark - 2025

Chris Kane - 2024

Benjamin Kimpioka - 2025

Adama Sidibeh - 2026

Taylor Steven - 2024

We can finally start to look at building for next season now. I've removed all of the loanees because frankly I can't see any of them being with us next year. 

In terms of players and I'd like to keep, Steven  and Franczak are definites. Probably Wills too, although I have a vague recollection that he signed a new deal. Maybe I'm misremembering. 

I think Wright will get an offer - probably one of those 6 months ones we do when players have been out for ages 

McPherson clearly rated by the manager so I think he will get one too. 

Carey, if he's carrying on, will maybe feel he deserves a deal too. Double figure goal contributions in a team that's been as poor as we've been is decent.

For me one of Gordon or McGowan (not both IMO) should be retained for their experience. 

Phillips will get an offer but he's clearly headed for the exit door. 

Kane maybe? Seems he's done reasonably well at Dunfermline. 

I don't think any of the rest have done enough to be honest. 

I won't be devastated to see the back of most of those out of contract. Crawford the personification of what has been wrong with Saints since after the Double. 

3 minutes ago, GorbalsMags said:

yes i think we're genuinely pretty good up front now if everyone's fit (big If)

Yeah Sidibeh and Kimpioka, if both stay, feels like as strong a front line as we've started a season with. 

Then Clark and May there too.

There's a foundation there, with Mitov, Keltjens, Sprangler, Sidibeh and Kimpioka.