Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Could potentially have European sides showing an interest.

Depends what kind of move he'd be open to but as an random example I imagine some of the bigger Czech sides wouldn't think twice about spending 500k+. 

I can't see it being silly money we'd get though.

Should be looking at 7 figures, easily. We have him on a contract and he's of that standard.

Edited by GorbalsMags

Posted (edited)

All speculation of what we would get for Mitov is surely dependent on whether there is a release clause in his contract.  If so then that is max we will get.

Edited by Templar Saint

I'd imagine there will be. Surely a goalkeeper of that calibre will want the chance to get out a year early when signing for us. 

Only having a year left on his deal will work against us as well. It's either a semi-decent fee this transfer window, a nominal fee in January, or f**k all next summer. You'll never get full value for a player with only a year left on their contract.  

3 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Signing for us led to him becoming established international keeper so not a bad move for both parties.

Yeah it was basically the dream move for both parties - he gets to be on national television and get a shot at proving himself against Rangers and Celtic (which he did) and regular playtime gets him games on an international level when there wasn't a guarantee of it at larger English clubs. I'll be sad to see him go but if we can get more than we got for Ali McCann then I'm happy enough.

3 minutes ago, GorbalsMags said:

Yeah it was basically the dream move for both parties - he gets to be on national television and get a shot at proving himself against Rangers and Celtic (which he did) and regular playtime gets him games on an international level when there wasn't a guarantee of it at larger English clubs. I'll be sad to see him go but if we can get more than we got for Ali McCann then I'm happy enough.

We're getting nowhere near the McCann fee for him with a year left on his contract, unfortunately. That, and his kicking/lack of ability with his feet, will impact any offers we do get, as most teams want to play out from the back these days, even with a bunch of huddies in defence (see Hibs). 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Nelly78 said:

We're getting nowhere near the McCann fee for him with a year left on his contract, unfortunately. That, and his kicking/lack of ability with his feet, will impact any offers we do get, as most teams want to play out from the back these days, even with a bunch of huddies in defence (see Hibs). 

Not sure I agree - English clubs are swimming with money and teams like City are  dropping £45m on players like Kalvin Phillips. We should be trying to absolutely rinse them.

Edited by GorbalsMags

I wouldn't accept any amount of money for Dimitar Mitov. The idea that a man of his calibre and beauty can be 'bought', like some sort of performing monkey, is almost sickening. I suggest that we rip up his contract and allow him to do whatever he wants for the rest of his days.

Just now, GorbalsMags said:

Not sure I agree - English clubs are swimming with money and teams like City are  dropping £45m on players like Kalvin Phillips. We should be trying to absolutely rinse them.

The top clubs have money (and even then some of them will have to sell players to cut wage bills / losses due to the new rules coming in down there - Newcastle, Villa, Chelsea etc.), but the majority of the Championship clubs have nowhere near the money they had a few years ago. 

1 minute ago, Nelly78 said:

The top clubs have money (and even then some of them will have to sell players to cut wage bills / losses due to the new rules coming in down there - Newcastle, Villa, Chelsea etc.), but the majority of the Championship clubs have nowhere near the money they had a few years ago. 

Apropos it is quite amusing to think us getting £600k for Kerr going to Wigan was what finally pushed them into financial implosion

Posted (edited)

Big Eric in the Courier saying Mitov is one of the best single-season contributors to Saints ever, performance-wise, begs an interesting question. If he isn't, who is?

I would argue most consequential ever in our history is Shaun Rooney for the cup final goals in the double season, but his general play wasn't that outstanding especially in his second season. Sandaza getting 23 goals in 27 must be up there in the modern era in terms of outstanding individual performances. Anyone else?

EDIT: ignore that, wikipedia is bullshit - it was 18 in 31. which is great, but not spectacular

Edited by GorbalsMags

19 minutes ago, GorbalsMags said:

Big Eric in the Courier saying Mitov is one of the best single-season contributors to Saints ever, performance-wise, begs an interesting question. If he isn't, who is?

I would argue most consequential ever in our history is Shaun Rooney for the cup final goals in the double season, but his general play wasn't that outstanding especially in his second season. Sandaza getting 23 goals in 27 must be up there in the modern era in terms of outstanding individual performances. Anyone else?

Andy Brannigan 1982/83 

Actually just one game of that season. 

Actually just one touch in that game.